It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• 4 year old possible svt (supraventricular tachycardia)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
    Exclamation 4 year old possible svt (supraventricular tachycardia)

Ok I haven't slept very much since Tuesday night so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have a child with this condition and if so, how was it finally diagnosed for sure? My son had a sudden fast high, hard heart rate along with clamminess, feeling "wierd"(remember he's 4) along with pain in left arm on Wed. evening. I called 911 immediatley but by the time they actually got here and assesed him he was feeling better.(about 30 to 40 min.) I have since taken him to a pediatric cardiologist who advised me to watch him and basically wait to see if it happens again. Well I'm a wreck! He was in bed when this happened and had been for an hour so he was not running around. He called me in the room to tell me he could not lay there anymore because his heart felt like a racecar inside. Will this wake him if he's sleeping? How do you sleep knowing this could happen at anytime? Any advice would be great. thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: 4 year old possible svt (supraventricular tachycardia)

He could be reacting to the dyes, or materials in his bedding. If, consistantly, he has heart rhythm problems ONLY when put into bed, then there could be something there that could be the cause.

I assume that this hasn't happened on previous nights. Is there something that has recently changed in his bedding? Or....... has he recently had a cold?

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

thanks for replying, I havn't changed anything in the bedding and that was the first time this ever happened. He didn't have a cold then but does now. I asked the doctor about this but she said that this was too much for a cold. Also had zyrtec for the first time that night(hives x3 weeks) but pediatrician, allergist, cardiologist and pharmacist all said this was not a reaction to the zyrtec.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

From what I've read, tachycardia is a very rare side effect of zyrtec.

It could be that, when your child was first invaded by the cold virus, and prior to symptoms of a cold, the extra hormones, such as epinephrine, which his body normal produced as a defense mechanism against the cold virus, were part of the cause of his tachycardia. Many times there are multiple "events" that lead up to an infrequent bout of tachycardia.

Perhaps, for some reason, leading up to your son's tachycardia, he ate or drank something that also could cause heart stimulation, such as caffeinated soda, or even too much candy, or he had encountered allergens, which can also cause a similar activation of epinephrine and other hormones.

Since you now know that your child is prone to tachycardia, you might consider getting an inexpensive stethoscope, so that you can listen to your child's normal heartbeat, and thus give yourself some peace of mind, if his heart normally has a nice regular rhythm.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily

Old 01-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

That is interesting about the epinephrine , I didn't realize that happened when we are trying to fight a virus or infection. I wonder why none of the doctors mentioned this could be the cause, it may have eased my mind a bit. Maybe that combined with the antihistamine was just too much for his little body. Thank you very much for the insight.

Closed Thread