It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• PVC Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
    josiah
    (male)

josiah HB User
    PVC Questions

I admit this is my first post on these boards and I hope that I am writing this in the correct format and place.

I am basicaly looking for more information on PVC's and some very specific questions.

My PVC's came out of nowhere as I was walking in around in a mall one day. They came about at a very stressful part of my life and from what I understand this is normal. It took 2 years before I found out that this was the cause of my problems. I went two years with PAD or panic attack disorder because of these PVC's.

I have seen several doctors and I have been diagnosed with PVC's and I was told I will just have to live with it and deal with it. As simple as this advice is I am having a great deal of trouble just living with it. It has changed my life.

The problem I am having is that as soon as I begin any sort of work that I must raise my heart beat I feel my chest start to get tight and my throat starts closing up. Eventualy it comes to a point where I know my heart is going to skip a beat. When I finaly have a PVC my heart jumps into disarray. It begins to beat very irregularly at a fast pace for as much as 10 minutes. When I feel my chest and heart I can barely feel my pulse because of the disrythm of my heart beat. As quickly as this starts it stops. My heart will suddenly fall back in to line and then immediately start pounding about as hard as I could believe a hard to pound. No matter the amount of relaxing I do my heart will not slow down for around five minutes. Once my heart finaly slows down I feel weak and tired. I have trouble doing much of anything after this for about an hour.

Now my question is this: Is this a regular symptom of PVC's or is there more going on in my body that I should be concerned about. Considering the sort of ambiguity surrounding PVC's I find myself very lost. Does anyone else experience anything like this?

I have been very active my whole life and I am not overweight nor is there any medical history of heart problems in my family. Any help or directions would be much appreciated.

Josiah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User
    Re: PVC Questions

I think that your anxiety is contributing to your PVCs. I have SVTs which are close to PVCs, and it seems that when my anxiety is at its worse I have more SVTs.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
    timberman
    (male)

timberman HB User

I'm having PVC's as we speak...

They first showed up about three years ago, and as suddenly as they appeared, they were gone. I believed I was done with them, until last Monday.

First off, DON'T panic. About HALF the population has experienced them, so, for the most part....no worries.
    The only thing that changed between no PVC's and current PVC's for me, was three years time and 15 extra pounds, (which I'm assaulting).

All I can suggest is that you keep your potassium and magnesium levels up, don't over-use caffine or booze, lose weight if there's a need, and R-E-L-A-X, (your mind can cause PVC's).

Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
    puckluvr
    (male)

puckluvr HB User

You should really see a cardioligist and see what is causing this . There are some very good medications which can help control these symptoms .
    If you do take a beta blocker , start with a minimal amount and work your way up as some people have a difficult time with side effects initially .

Old 03-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
    ROTY
    Inactive
    (male)

ROTY HB User

I am with puckluvr on this one. While those seem to be normal PVC symptoms attached with panic attacks (i still panic when I have mine as well), you really should talk to the doctor and get on some mediciations to control them. While 99% of the time these things are normal and benign, if they are starting to interfere with your normal everyday life, especially as it pertains to work, then you need medications to calm them down or aid you in getting back to a productive lifestyle.

The best thing to do is to try and relax when they occur, and tell yourself it is normal. If I have something unusual happen, I hop on here and ask around to make sure it isn't a change that needs to be seen about. Medications will aid in keeping them from happening as often though.

Hope this helped.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
    sherri27360
    (female)

sherri27360 HB User

Hi, What you described is very similar to what I experience. My heart feels that way in the middle of the night or very early in the morning usually around 5 thirty or 6 am. I will have a dream and wake up very quickly and a few minutes after that my heart will kind of beat funny for about 10 minutes or so and if I get very scared it will do it even longer. I have genaralized and anxiety disorder and my dr. says it is panic. He prescibed 25 mg. of atenenol which is a beta blocker to slow your heart down and to control palps but mine still does it. Does any one else have this problem besides us?
    Hope you get to feeling better, Sherri

Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
    sherri27360
    (female)

sherri27360 HB User
    Red face Re: PVC Questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sherri27360 View Post
    Hi, What you described is very similar to what I experience. My heart feels that way in the middle of the night or very early in the morning usually around 5 thirty or 6 am. I will have a dream and wake up very quickly and a few minutes after that my heart will kind of beat funny for about 10 minutes or so and if I get very scared it will do it even longer. I have genaralized and anxiety disorder and my dr. says it is panic. He prescibed 25 mg. of atenenol which is a beta blocker to slow your heart down and to control palps but mine still does it. Does any one else have this problem besides us?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:34 AM   #8
    timberman
    (male)

timberman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sherri27360 View Post
    I was already on 75mg/day of atenenol for high BP.
    Increased it to 50 mg twice a day, and my PVC's are GONE!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
    ww23river
    (female)

ww23river HB User

I get those too...but it's hormonal for me...I had them for many years...and now when it happens I just wait it out...it still scares me a lot too...like what if it never goes back in rhythm...or what if my heart can't take it and goes into cardiac arrest...i'm a natural worrywart...so all kinds of things play in my head...but it hasn't done anything major and I had them for like 10 years

Old 03-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
    joe4185
    (male)

joe4185 HB User

I have pac's pvc's in the middle of the night also. I have been diagnosed with AVNRT and am scheduled for an ablation next Thursday. I have had all of the tests, treadmill, 2 echos, 2 ekg's, 2 event monitors and bloodwork. I hope I get some relief form these irregular heartbeats after this procedure, I heard they may get worse. I definitely feel your pain

Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
    sherri27360
    (female)

sherri27360 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ww23river View Post
    I get those too...but it's hormonal for me...I had them for many years...and now when it happens I just wait it out...it still scares me a lot too...like what if it never goes back in rhythm...or what if my heart can't take it and goes into cardiac arrest...i'm a natural worrywart...so all kinds of things play in my head...but it hasn't done anything major and I had them for like 10 years
    Hi, I wonder if maybe mine might be related to hormones also. I have a child that will be two in May. My heart started freaking out about 3 months after I had him. I know I have an anxiety disorder but Doctors sometimes try to blame anxiety for everthing. I have had anxiety for a long time but never had heart symptoms until after the baby. I also just turned 40 recently.
    Sherri

Old 03-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
    ww23river
    (female)

ww23river HB User

yes it sounds like hormones...my heart symptoms got worse after my two children...it was hard to enjoy them worrying all the time

Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
    ~K~
    Inactive
    (female)

~K~ HB User

I have runs of these ectopics - followed by a pounding beat. Sometimes being
    active too soon after eating, indigestion, or a fizzy drink makes my heart go bonkers! I do think that pressure in the chest (including laying down) can make these worse! My heart is supposed to be fine! It is because of my husband having CAD that I read this forum.
    My heart started all this when I was 15 and I'm now 50...I can't credit that I made it this far! LOL.
    I'm laughing now, but I used to cry about 'my poor heart'

Last edited by ~K~; 03-15-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
    brooklynbetsy
    (female)

brooklynbetsy HB User

i didnt have heart problems until after my little girl was born. first svt, which i had a successful ablation for, now pvc's, sometimes every other beat all day. want to have another baby, but worry about pvc's. ep and cardio doctors say all will be fine. that is so hard to believe. i wish there were studies being done on why so many women have heart problems after childbirth. is there a connection? can something be done?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #15
    joanbee51
    (female)

joanbee51 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~K~ View Post
    I have runs of these ectopics - followed by a pounding beat. Sometimes being
    active too soon after eating, indigestion, or a fizzy drink makes my heart go bonkers! I do think that pressure in the chest (including laying down) can make these worse! My heart is supposed to be fine! It is because of my husband having CAD that I read this forum.
    My heart started all this when I was 15 and I'm now 50...I can't credit that I made it this far! LOL.
    I'm laughing now, but I used to cry about 'my poor heart'

Closed Thread