It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Cardio says I have MVP, Echo says No - Please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
    *Robin*
    (female)

*Robin* HB User
    Red face Cardio says I have MVP, Echo says No - Please help!

I just got back from my Cardiologists appointment, where he said my blood work looked fine and my Echo looked fine, but he believes that I have Mital Valve Prolapse.

I am more confused than ever! I said Cant I just have beign PVCs? and he said No, why would you have benign PVCs? I just dont know what to believe now.

I asked him about drinking on Toprol and he said plenty of people take it and imbibe, but he thinks alcohol can cause the palpitations that Ive been having. I drink a maximum of 2x per week (just on weekends), and have seen no more or less PVCs with alcohol. I drank way more at 21 and never had any problems.

So, long story short he thinks drinking on it is fine. What do you think?

What should I do now? Im 24 and I just want my normal life back. I dont want to be on Toprol for the rest of my life and I dont like being told I have a condition that doesnt show up in any tests.

In the time that Ive been reading this board, Ive seen many people talk about benign PVCs in a structurally normal heart, but apparently my Cardiologist doesnt believe in benign PVCs.

What are your opinions of his diagnosis. I am very confused and scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: Cardio says I have MVP, Echo says No - Please help!

Your cardiologist doesn't sound very competent. If you had MPV, it would be seen on the echo. And you're right, millions - literally - of folks have benign PVCs. I'm highly suspicious of your doctor for saying otherwise.

Personally I'd just try to forget about the PVCs the best you can, but if you're concerned, get a second opinion because your current doc doesn't sound very well informed. I personally would get off the Toprol also. Wouldn't take the risk for a benign condition.

Either way, MVP is harmless. Something like 20% of women have it. It's more of a normal variation in anatomy than a disease, in most people.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
    *Robin*
    (female)

*Robin* HB User

Is the Toprol dangerous? I definitely want to get off of it. I told him today, I'm not taking medication for the rest of my life if I don't have to.

My family doctor thinks I have Fibromyalgia (I have an appointment with a Rheumatologist in March), but my Cardiologist says that MVP and Fibromyalgia are like one and the same, and that MVP can cause Fibromyalgia symptoms (muscle pain, tingling, etc.)

I told him that the Tech who did my Echo said that my Mitral Valves were "perfect" and there was no evidence of MVP. He said that even though it didn't show up on the Echo, he very strongly believes that I have it.

I have to pick up my 24 hour Holter Monitor on Monday, but he said that won't show MVP. I'm not familiar with Holter Monitors or what they show or don't show, so I don't know what information I should hope to gain from the monitor.

I am concerned about other arrythmias (A-Fib, V-Tach, etc.), but he hasn't explained them to me at all. He just tells me my problem is not in the structure of my heart, but in the rhythm. I wasn't aware that MVP is a problem with the rhythm, so needless to say, I am VERY confused.

If anyone has MVP or any other arrythmia that can shed some light on it for me, I would appreciate it so much.

Last edited by *Robin*; 02-23-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Symptoms of MVP usually include one or more of the following:
    Irregular Heartbeat: This is sometimes felt as "fluttering" or palpitations. The patient may feel as if the heart "stops beating" for a moment. Sudden breathlessness or the urge to cough may be felt. Palpitations may be noticed when lying down at night, particularly when lying on the left side; such palpitations are almost always due to MVP.

Tachycardia: A sudden speeding up of both the heart rate or the pulse along with a pounding heartbeat are common symptoms of MVP. In some patients, MVP is first noticed when checking heart rate during exercising--the heart rate is found to be much higher than expected.

Chest Pain: Chest pain is a common but poorly understood symptom of MVP. The pain may be sharp or dull, and it may last from a few seconds to several hours. Chest pain may occur at rest more than with exertion, and it may occur alone or with other MVP symptoms.

Panic Attack: Panic attack may be another symptom of MVP. A panic attack is a sudden feeling of intense anxiety or impending doom for no apparent reason. A panic attack may be mild or severe and disabling. Have you suffered panic attacks? At least four of the following symptoms appear during an attack:
    Dyspnea
    Palpitations
    Chest pain and discomfort
    Sensation of being choked or smothered
    Feelings of dizziness, vertigo, or unsteadiness
    Paresthesias
    Hot and cold flashes; sweating; faintness
    Trembling or shaking
    Fear of dying, going crazy, or uncontrolled behavior

Fatigue and Weakness: Fatigue and weakness are not the same as depression. Many MVP patients report that they have no energy. Minimum activities such as daily housework may lead to extreme exhaustion. Such patients may be diagnosed with "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome."

The doppler/echo would clearly show on a screen any backflow of blood due to MVP or any other valve problem. It is the best test to show blood flow (back flow) and evaluate the structure as the heart is working. The tech showed me the screen image of my working heart. Blood is colored for normal flow and a different color for the backflow. If it doesn't show up on the echo, it is difficult to believe there is a valve problem!!

Old 02-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
    *Robin*
    (female)

*Robin* HB User

Hi Kenkeith,

Thanks so much for the information.

When the Tech did my Echo he showed me my Mitral Valves on the screen and said they were "perfect". He said "see, no Mitral Valve Prolapse, your heart looks great".

I just don't understand why my Cardiologist is telling me there is no such thing as benign PVC's, when I've read of plenty of people having them. He just said "why would you have benign PVC's?" I don't have an answer for that. All I know is I started getting flip flops in my chest after I took 1 Prednisone (for an allergy to Iodine Dye). Ever since then, I've had them. I never felt them before that.

Do you think I should worry about other Arrythmias (A-Fib, V-Tach, etc.)? He says my heart is structurally ok, it just has a rhythm problem. I'm just not buying the MVP, since there hasn't ever been evidence of it on Echo's. You would think after 3 of them, it would show SOME evidence of MVP if it existed.

I'm not familiar with arrythmias, so I apologize if I sound ignorant, I'm just worried about the "rhythm problem" that he claims my heart has. Could 1 Prednisone possibly cause a permanent arrythmia in a healthy heart?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Mine cardio said that I didn't have a pac or pvc, can you believe it?

Old 02-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

MOST medications have side effects. My daughter, 37, has MVP and is raising 3 boys and lifts weights. Bundle of energy, works full time. My best friend has MVP , she's 63 and still tap dancing several times a week and does ballet.
    MVP is benign; it's nothing. My dad had an irregular heartbeat and lived to be 90. Watch out for dr's wanting to put you on medications; THEN YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS!! Just take fish oil gelcaps and COQ10 daily.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
    Mileena42
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mileena42 HB User

I totally agree, I was dx with MVP at 19 I am 43 now with mild regurgatation. It SHOULDN'T cause you any problems even if you DO have it. If your echo says you dont have it I cannot understand your cardio DX you with it. WHAT was his reasoning as to why he was so sure you had MVP? HOW can he say you have it when your echo showed your valve to be normal? A holter monitor will not tell you anything about MVP it will only show your rhythm and any PVCs or PACs. Of course MVP also causes a murmur or "sound" in your heart, but it looks to me as if the sound showed up it would surely have been visable on the echo.
    Mileena

Old 02-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

could it be that the cardio doesnt know what he's talking about? or that he was rushed? naaa....

Old 02-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
    *Robin*
    (female)

*Robin* HB User

I asked him why he thought I have MVP since it didn't show that on the Echo and he said that sometimes the Echo doesn't show everything and that based on my symptoms, that is what he believes I have.

If I do, that's fine. But if I don't, I don't want to be told that I do, if that makes sense.

Would a Holter pick up any arrythmia? They concern me so much (especially since my Cardio says I have a "very fast heartbeat), even though on previous tests my beats been between 70 and 80 bpm. I just want to know if I'm ok and I feel like he is not looking at anything else.

I explained to him that I am afraid to exercise (something that I enjoyed prior to getting these symptoms), and he didn't say anything. I don't want to exercise and make anything worse, or even drop dead.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

Would a Holter pick up any arrythmia?
    Yes, I think so.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
    Mileena42
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mileena42 HB User

I was reading today: "Women And Heart Disease" By: Edward B. Diethrich and Carol Cohan. I wanted to quote you what is said about MVP: "Under normal circumstances, the valve opens and closes without protruding into the atrium above. With MVP, however, when the valve closes, one or both of the cusps billows into the upper chamber. This abnormal valve action may produce a click that can be heard through a stethoscope. While listening to the heart during a routine physical exam , the physician typically hears the telltale sounds and prescribes an echocardiogram to make sure. Echocardiography the definitive test for MVP, not only confirms the diagnosis, but also accurately assesses its level of severity by showing any structural change and how much the valve is flapping and how well it is closing. " end quote.
    I am questioning your cardio big time on this one. I think maybe he is hearing the "Click" or the MVP signature, but I don't see how he can dx you with this if your echo didnt show it. I would get a second opinion....ask for your echo results and take them to another cardio.
    Mileena

Old 02-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
    *Robin*
    (female)

*Robin* HB User

Hi Mileena,

I am going to get the results of the Echo and take it to Deborah Heart and Lung Hospital, which is the closest Heart Hospital in my area. The bad thing is, it takes months to get an appointment there.

The Cardiologist I saw before this one said that I have a soft systolic murmur 1/6, but both my family doctor and my current Cardiologist don't hear that. So, now I supposedly don't have a murmur.

I'm supposed to pick up my Holter Monitor tomorrow (I don't know that I'll be able to, though, because of the snow here), but we will see what that says.

I assume he will be reading the Holter Monitor, so I don't know whether to believe the results that come out of that or not?

Should I be suspicious of those results, since he's diagnosing me with MVP with no tests to back it up?

Sorry to be such a pain, I'm just SO confused.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #14
    Mileena42
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mileena42 HB User

Hi Robin,

If time isn't an issue I would wait on the appointment at the Heart and Lung hospital. Having MVP isn't a major thing. I think you probably need not be in a hurry to correct the dx. After all, there is nothing you can do for it anyway...if you have any dental work done just to be on the safe side, make sure you take your antibiotics. I don't pretend to know much about MVP, just from my own experience I can tell you that my MVP makes a very distinctive murmur or "click".....My cardio went out and collected a student at the Heart center to listen to my heart because my "click" was so loud and typical of MVP. I guess if you have to be the best at something............
    Good Luck to you and don't let this stress you. Just relax and wait on your appointment.
    Mileena

Old 02-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
    *Robin*
    (female)

*Robin* HB User

Well, I have my Holter on, and as luck would have it, I haven't had 1 single PVC all day. I keep saying that I'm going to get them the minute this shuts off. All I wanted was for the Cardiologist to catch the PVC's on the monitor. I literally get them every day, so I just don't get it.

Was it a total waste? I don't know what these things catch when you don't press the button, or don't feel any PVC's.

Closed Thread