It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Rope jumping with SVT?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
    Shakira
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Shakira HB User
    Question Rope jumping with SVT?

Is it ok to rope jump with SVT? I have been doing it for the past few days and it gets my heart right up, but it does go down again quite quickly. I can only do it for about 5 minutes and then i stop a few times inbetween.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User
    Re: Rope jumping with SVT?

As long as your heart rate goes down afterwards then I would not worry about jumping rope with SVT. I would walk around some to "cool down" after jumping rope, however.
    I am not a big rope jumper because I have knee and ankle issues, but I will do intervals of walking and jogging for exercise and as long as the bp and heartrate go down after my cool down, I am fine.
    I have had SVTs since I was 19, but the best person to ask would be your doctor.

good luck,
    Lyl

Last edited by lylone; 03-22-2007 at 05:15 AM.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
    Shakira
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Shakira HB User

Thank you!

Old 03-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
    arvc
    (female)

arvc HB User

Lyl is right you should check with your dr about that issue. I guess my question to you would be do you have a pacemaker or defibrillator or both. Svt's can be fatal without an ICD or PM if your body doesn't go back to a normal rate. I have been "very fortunate" to survive several svt's(240+) that did not go back down to a normal heart rate. Fortunate for me all 3 times a EMT or hospital was near. I now have an ICD and do not have to fear the svt's, I still have them but my pacer will kick in and then if unsuccessful my defibrillator goes off. I would not do anything that raises your heart rate above 150-180 if I were you unless your dr has no problems with it! You can actually vtach with little exercise if your heart is prone to doing this. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

Shakira,

I have only had to go to the ER once in about 6 years to have mine "converted" back to normal and that was before I was given atenolol to try and other methods to try and convert myself. Arvc must have the kind that don't convert back on their own if she has a pacemaker/defib.
    The best thing is to ask your doctor and keep checking on that pulse after exercise.
    My pulse and blood pressure are usually WAY low after a night of 2 miles on the treadmill and hopefully you will get the okay from doc and have the same results.
    Exercising keeps me "sane" and free of anxiety that can cause SVTs.

Lyl

Old 03-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
    Shakira
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Shakira HB User

Thanks guys. The attacks i've had haven't lasted more than 15 minutes and i've never had to go and have them 'stopped'. I don't have a pace maker or anything. Sometimes when i'm jumping rope, i feel a jolt, as if my heart has jumped or something and then my heart rate goes super fast for a few seconds and that's pretty scary. maybe i shouldn't be doing it, i don't know.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
    sb79
    (female)

sb79 HB User

Hi Shakira, i too have svt. It depends whether you usually have svt attcks during exercise? My svts are never triggered during excercise so i'm fine. I can even get my heart rate upto 180 bpm during exercise and have no problem. We all have different things that trigger episodes.

Lylone: I too have had a trip to the hospital to be converted back to sinus rythm If you don't mind me asking how often do you have svt attacks and how do you stop an episode? Mine usually happen once a month but they usually last upto 30 mins.

Arvc: If you don't mind me asking who told you that svt is life threatening? What type of svt do you have?

Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
    sb79
    (female)

sb79 HB User

i forgot...I also wanted to ask how many of you guys who suffer with svt also suffer from PVCs/Pacs?

Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 AM   #9
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

sb79,

Yes, I get pvcs also, but not that many lately. I take a daily 250mg Magnesium to help with Svts and Pvcs and have noticed a big difference. On 12/29/2005 I had my first SVT in five years that I could remember and the EMTs had to convert me and then sent me to the ER. It had been a while since I had to call someone and my heartrate was over 200+ for over an hour.

Last year I had about five of them with maybe a month or two in between each episode and I was able to "convert" them on my own. Seems like they happened around my menstral cycle and when stress and anxiety were at their worst!

When it jumps off I try what are called "Valsalva maneuvers" and you can look it up on WebMDs website. I try "bearing down" like I am having a bad bowel movement and hold my breath. It normally works within minutes, but if not then I take a 25mg of Atenolol and a .25mg of xanax and my bpm usually come down in 20 minutes.

I didn't even know that these maneuvers existed until 12/29/05 when the EMTs suggested it. It had been THAT long.

Currently, I have been SVT free since 11/20/06 and I contribute it to the Magnesium, exercising and seeing a therapist.
    Life is definately much better and I don't miss them.

good luck,
    lyl

Last edited by lylone; 03-26-2007 at 05:08 AM.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
    sb79
    (female)

sb79 HB User

Hi lyl,
    Thank you for replying!
    I just wanted to ask about the PVCs. I was first diagnosed about 5 months ago so i am new at this!

I am currently having about 50 pvcs a day. Does that sound too much? Have you ever had that many? In fact i'm sure i have had even 100 in 24 hrs!
    How did the EMTs convert you? I was taken straight to the hospital and they converted me there with adenosine.
    I have tried the bearing down technique but when the svt happens i am too scared to do anything i just start crying!! Did your doc tell you it was ok to take a low dose beta blocker when the svt starts? Does it stop the svt? Do you take atenolol on a regular basis? I'm so sorry for all the questions i hope you don't mind!
    Thanks

Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

sb79,

The Ambulance guys (I think they are firemen/parametics) give me adenosine which stops them in a matter of minutes and then they send me off to the ER for observation. The last time it happened I was in the ER for 4 hours for blood tests and hooked up to a monitor. There have been times before this I ended up in the ER, but only once was I admitted and that was the first episode I had when I was 19. I am 36 now.
    I seem to have more pvcs when I am stressed and you have to try and calm yourself down to get the bearing down technique to work. I know its hard to do, but you have to try. I also have Xanax on hand and do see a therapist to try and help with anxiety about it. I was quite a stress case this past July because I was having issues frequently and was afraid to leave the house because I may have an heart issue and die.
    I am on a calcuim channel blocker and an Ace inhibitor(both the lowest dosages made) for the AM and then take the beta blocker around 5p at night since that is when the PVCs/SVTs seem to happen more often. I have high blood pressure and hence the CCB and AI in the morning.
    I have been pretty good about walking in the evenings and hope to get some more weight off to get rid of the hpb.

The combination of the beta blocker and the xanax stop the SVTs.

If you are truely worried and you have insurance, do look into a clinical therapist to talk to. Don't spend the high $$ on a physch, I don't think you need that. My therapist has helped me alot and now I only see her once every other month. I highly recommend it and you are not "crazy" for going to see one.

Lyl

Last edited by lylone; 03-26-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
    sb79
    (female)

sb79 HB User

Thank you for the advice Lyl, I'm considering an ablation at the moment to cure the svt but i know it won't cure the pvcs I'm 27 yrs old and i want to start a family soon but i worry about being pregnant and having an svt attack. Have you ever considered the ablation?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
    Shakira
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Shakira HB User

That's what Tony Blair had, isn't it, an ablation.

I know stress causes it, but is it normal to have an attack a day or 2 after a stressful situation? Whenever i've had a big argument with someone, i sometimes get an attack or a series of small ones a day or 2 later.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 AM   #14
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

I am not sure about Tony Blair, and the idea of ablation has beem mentioned by my cardio, but he doesn't think its necessary since SVTs don't really cause me to make a life change. He said if I was having many during one day and it was causing me to faint/passout or not able to function then it would be an option.

When my SVTs/PVCs start up, I can still drive, hold conversations and etc like nothing is wrong. I don't really get breathless or feel dizzy until its been awhile and I start stressing over them.

I have also heard of more horror stories about ablation than good ones, so I haven't considered it. I would hate for me to go through the whole procedure and end up being worse off. I have heard many horror stories about the procedure. Do a search on ablation on this board because there are many threads about it.

Stress and anxiety do have interesting effects on the body and even though you may not feel stressed, the stress may still be there. I thought that my life was pretty stress-free until I found out what my main stressor was. It wasn't work, or money and I don't have kids. Of all things is was my mother still trying to control me even though I am 36 years old! I wouldn't have even thought that was the issue, until I went to a therapist and she helped me to figure it out.
    My suggestion to anyone with SVTs/PVCs would be to try medication, vitamins and therapy first before ablation.

Ablation is a cardiac cath in which they "burn" the areas that cause the problems. I don't know if I really want someone pushing a tube through my veins.

I haven't died from SVTs/PVCs in 17 years and unless they get more numerous, I don't think I will die from them anytime soon.

Lyl

Last edited by lylone; 03-28-2007 at 05:27 AM.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #15
    sb79
    (female)

sb79 HB User

Yes that is what Tony Blair had!

Here in England the first choice of treatment for young females with svt is ablation.
    I really didn't like the idea of the ablation but my EP explained that if i was to get pregnant one day, i would probably have an increase in PVCs/SVT attacks and it really isn't safe to be on calcium channel blockers or beta blockers during your pregnancy.

My attacks are usually a few months apart but they are so unpredictable. They can last upto 30 mins or more. I worry that i may have an SVT when i'm far from a hospital. At the moment i feel i can't go on holiday or anywhere far from home. Just imagine having a SVT attack on a long flight to somewhere!

Lyl i wish i was like you and i could talk, work etc when i am having an svt attack!!

Closed Thread