It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Beta blocker help requested!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
    blu3crayon
    (male)

blu3crayon HB User
    Exclamation Beta blocker help requested!

Hello guys.. I was referred here from the anxiety room.. Firstly I am 21 male 6ft tall 178 lbs etc I had an EKG In FEB that showed things ot be OK other then an elevated rate.. which the doctor did and still does consider anxiety... on the 17th something (I assume my parents talking about the ER to me due to pain ) triggered an attack I had a heart rate of probably 160-180 and it took 4 1/2- 5 hours to get back below 100 .. this happend again on the 26th at which point my xanax dose was put to 3 mg a day.. ( I am seeing a very skilled GP but I need a new psychitrist so she is helping me ).. But I went in and explained this to her and she wants me to try lexapro 10 mg a day so I am and a Blocker.. Metoprolol. sorry if I spelt it wrong.. but I was curious if anyone could explain to me how low the heart rates can go I mean i've hit 54 ( this is my first dosage aswell) .. and the blood pressure with the added xanax and such ( I can take up to 4mg a day but I rarely go past 2.5mg) and only 2 mg so far today.. I have had readings of heart rate around 57 or slightly lower 54.. I am on Top. as 25mg in the morning with breakfast 1 hour after I take xanax.. I would really appreicate any help sorry for the spelling to. very drained. I took it at 7 am and at 7:27 pm my bp is 127/71 and pulse 59. And this is not the extended release.. and this is my first tiem taking the drug so please give me some advice

Last edited by blu3crayon; 04-04-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
    CTYankee
    (male)

CTYankee HB User
    Re: Beta blocker help requested!

The heart rate will vary with different people and lifestyles. I too am on a beta blocker and my heart rate (resting) is between 45 and 50. I am a 58 year old male and exercise 1 hour every day (walk 3 to 4 miles or bike ride 10 miles) Prior to my exercise my RHR was in the low to mid 50's. Good luck

Cheers

Old 04-05-2007, 03:45 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It sounds liike the metoprolol is acting just about the way it should.

I'm not a psychiatirsis but I reallly think that mixing Xanax and Lexapro is a bad idea. Are your psychiatric problems really really severe? Mixing these two drugs with a beta-blocker is apt to have you feeling severely fatigued.

Those episodes of tachycardia may very well NOT be related to anxiety at all just a leaky resistance path in your heart's electrical wiring. More mechanical than emotional.

When your heart went to 160-180, did they mention any causes like SVT, A-fib, flutter or any other such terms?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
    blu3crayon
    (male)

blu3crayon HB User

no such terms because I thought it was simply a panic attack. I do however know there was no art. fib. I checked my pulse almost the entire time even fast as all heck but even. I was prescribed this by my dr. and I woke up this morning by the way 78. my EKG showed up fine. she spent about 5 minutes yesterday listened for extra noises or anything abnormal and herd nothing.. but would you consider it the effect of the 25mg still being felt 13-14 hours later? or .. I mean if my pulse is 78 now will drop it to the 40's? or does not do that. and my problems are basiclly that my anxiety levels are so high nearly anything can trigger a full blown panic attack. I mean do you think I overreacted to the heart rate? After all I did just sit around most of the day... and as of 9:53 am without the beta blocker my resting pulse is 66 .. when the day before it was 90-100 resting

Last edited by blu3crayon; 04-05-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

I have an anxiety disorder and tachycardia with PVCs. I take 25mg of metoprolol twice a day and .5mg of klonopin twice a day. It has been the most perfect combination and has changed my life drastically. 4mgs of xanax would have me in a zombie state even without the metoprlol!!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    i've hit 54 ( this is my first dosage aswell)
    There's something about that FIRST dose. I remember a long time ago when my BP was higher than now and my doctor prescribed 40 mg. nadolol (another beta-blocker called Corgard)...I took one in the office and went out and had a couuple drinks and walked home feeling fine. When I got home I checked my heart: my BP was 90/60 and my heart rate was the same 54 as yours. I quickly adjusted to a higher BP but my heart rate stayed in the 50's for as long as I kept taking it.
    So take the double dosing of the metoprolol and record all your numbers.
    No need to listen for heart irregularities, they will only make you more anxious.

Why not think about asking your doctor to get you off so many different pills.

Taking an antidepressant and a tranquilizer together is like pressing down on both your accelerator and your brake in your car at the same time.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
    blu3crayon
    (male)

blu3crayon HB User

lenin - I think my dr is going to have my break a 25mg pill in half. and take 1 in the morning and 1 at night.. im not sure of the hourage of difference she wants in between or what is normal ( do you know?) but on half a 25mg tablet my heart rate did not drop below 60 it went to 60 ... well actually it did go below 60. when I foolishly did some exercise I did some jumping jacks stupid I know.. and my pulse was up to 80.. but after I let I sat down (slowly) it dropped down to 54 and required 5-10 minutes to get back to 60) And that I took it around maybe 10 am.. and I spent an hour or so (9-10pm) standing and laughing with a friend of mine down stairs. and I checked my blood pressure and it was 150/100 with a slight headache left temple..but I do grind and such so I dont know... maybe the blocker had worn off?

Cheers - really? May I please ask you if your anxiety was found to be the cause of your tachy? or PVC's (IE no other reason found) ?

Last edited by blu3crayon; 04-06-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Actually the other way around. My tachycardia was misdiagnosed and untreated for over 10 years resulting in an anxiety/panic disorder. Sucked!!

But like I said the med combo I have is GREAT. I feel like I pretty much have my life back. Am a bit fatigued...but a small price to pay IMO!!

Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
    blu3crayon
    (male)

blu3crayon HB User

so they thought it was anxiety? when it wasn't? something to that degree. And I was curious how you spaced out your doses (twice a day?) like how many hours because I am going to up takeing 2 halves (break the pill in half take twice a day ) and I am very glad the combo is working for you to have your life back must be fantastic.

and even on the half a pill my pulse will occasionaly dip into 59-58.

Last edited by blu3crayon; 04-06-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

blu,

If you take metoprolol you need to take it at least twice a day becasue it wears off quickly and your blood pressure will creep up after half a day.
    If your heart rate dips into the 50's and accerates into the 80's or higher with excercise, that's all very normal.

Whether you take the 25 mg. or split it in two, you want to take it twice a day. You will soon find the dosage that gives you the results you want without making you too fatigued.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Yes, when I first went on beta blockers (first it was propranolol for 2 years) it took a while to find the right dosage and how often to take it. Back then I had to take it FOUR times a day lol. Now I take the metoprolol 25mg at about 6am and 25mg at 6pm. It doesnt have to be to the minute...so dont freak out if you are a little early or late..sometimes I am off by a couple hours and I am fine!! I was taking 50mg twice a day and slowly decreased it. Still doing fine. KNOCKING ON WOOD!!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Lenin,

would you take beta blockers at bedtime (8-10 p.m) , or is it too late? I have been doing this and wake up in the mornings with high BP. Don't know how that's possible, since when we are at rest our BP is supposed to be at its lowest. Insomnia might play a role in this. Also, what do you do if BP dips too low? It terrifies me.
    Thanks

Old 04-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
    blu3crayon
    (male)

blu3crayon HB User

I see, I am hoping to speak with my doctor tomorrow about all of this because my pill bottle says once a day.. I don't know. I am confident I will find the right dosage.. and oddly enough this has worked better then any medication in the reduction of my anxiety levels. and its safe if your rate rate does dip into the 50's especially if you're feeling tired?

Last edited by blu3crayon; 04-06-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #14
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

flower,
    Personally, I CANNOT take a beta-blocker, either propranolol or metoprolol after 5PM because otherwise it keeps me awake all night.
    As for the long-acting atenolol or nadolol, I can't take them at all if I want ANY sleep at all.

When I was taking propranolol I toiok a dose with breakfast and another at 3PM.

Some people don't get this insomnia at all from beta-blockers.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #15
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thanks,
    It wont' hurt to try taking beta blockers at 3:00 p.m. instead of at night. It might even end my insomnia! I guess I should take my fist dose early in the morning, then. I usually wait until 9:30-10:00 a.m.

Closed Thread