It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Pain when taking a deep breath ever since bypass heart surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
    jj9500
    (male)

jj9500 HB User
    Pain when taking a deep breath ever since bypass heart surgery

Mom Mother had atriple bypasss surgery last August, nine months ago. She is doing very well, and looks better than EVER!!! Takes wonderful care of herself. She said that ever since her surgery it was a "little" painful to take a deep breath around the left rib cage area. Most recently (9 months after surgery) she fell on her side and now it's REALLY bothering her to take a deep breath in - or when she coughs it hurts on that side? My mom is 69 years old. And, an ex smoker since her surgery. Could this have something to do with dmamage to a tissue or muscle or something from the surgery, or could this be another critical matter. Has anybody experienced this
    after bypass surgery? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
    chuck0737
    (male)

chuck0737 HB User
    Re: Pain when taking a deep breath ever since bypass heart surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj9500 View Post
    Mom Mother had atriple bypasss surgery last August, nine months ago. She is doing very well, and looks better than EVER!!! Takes wonderful care of herself. She said that ever since her surgery it was a "little" painful to take a deep breath around the left rib cage area. Most recently (9 months after surgery) she fell on her side and now it's REALLY bothering her to take a deep breath in - or when she coughs it hurts on that side? My mom is 69 years old. And, an ex smoker since her surgery. Could this have something to do with dmamage to a tissue or muscle or something from the surgery, or could this be another critical matter. Has anybody experienced this
    after bypass surgery? Thank you.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
    chuck0737
    (male)

chuck0737 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Pain when taking a deep breath ever since bypass heart surgery

I too am 69 years old and had my triple done in Jan 07. I am experiencing numbness in the left breat area and at times some discomfort when I take deep breaths. I asked a lot of questions to many doctors and the best that I can come up with is that during my surgery the surgeon used a artery from my leg and also one from my left chest area. I have been told that this is due to the length of time it take for healing of the surgical area. I hope that the information I recieved is correct and that this numbness will eventually go away. If your mom had an aretery removed from the left chest area this may cause the problems with the pain she is experiencing, best to check with her surgeon...Hope that helps. If anyone has experienced problems like I have listed here I would appreciate your comments. Thank and best wishes.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Pain when taking a deep breath ever since bypass heart surgery

The incision wound is apt to hurt for a LONG time afterwards. Remember, a SAW is used to cut the breastbone down the middle so pain is to be expected while adhesions are formed and bone fuses to bone.. all wired together with steel.

Closed Thread