It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Heart disease symptoms, positive stress test, negative cath., not sure what to do

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
    Caroline29
    (female)

Caroline29 HB User
    Heart disease symptoms, positive stress test, negative cath., not sure what to do

Good evening, just found this forum and I'm glad I did. I'll try to give a shortened version. I began experiencing symtoms a year ago with exercise (a strange feeling lightheadness) then woke up one night to be rushed to hospital due to inability to walk or even sit up in bed without forcefully falling to the left) Blood pressure would rapidly drop when told to stand in Hospital ER. They did EKG and echocardiogram, I believe some type of head MRI. Tests were negative, released a day later with diagnosis of vertigo. (No spinning sensation, just balance with much lightheadedness and eventually tinnitus) Nothing has been the same since then. I've always been able to work very hard physically, lots of stamina....not anymore. I'm also in menopause, no HRT. Blood pressure has been high since before I quit smoking (2 years ago), a new med. has helped. But I get very lightheaded and feel terrible with very much physical exertion. Occasional chest pains all along that I thought were from my breast or a chest muscle. I was finally given a cardiac stress test w/EKG (no drugs), the test was positive. I also had very different pains that felt directly over my heart the next week while shopping. I had an cardiac cath. the same week, negative. (was also given another echocardiogram, also negative) Don't know what to do and I know something is not right somewhere. ANY suggestions or ideas will be appreciated so much, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2007, 04:38 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Heart disease symptoms, positive stress test, negative cath., not sure what to do

Hi Caroline,

What might be your situation:
    Microblockages in your arterial circulation would show up as pain and discomfort on a POSITIVE plain stress test and EKG BUT then these would be invisible to an angiogram (actheter) which looks for LARGE artery blockages.

Your next step sounds like it should be a nuclear stress test which will show any area of your heart that is not getting enough blood because of small vessel blockages. Unfortunately there isn't any useful surgical intervention for this but drug thereapy can keep symptoms away and diet, medication, and exercise can prevent further plaque formation.

Until it's all sorted out, make sure you take daily aspirin.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-06-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
    Caroline29
    (female)

Caroline29 HB User
    Re: Heart disease symptoms, positive stress test, negative cath., not sure what to do

Thank you so much, Lenin. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get a normal life back. I have been sporadically taking aspirin but will begin a daily regimen. I will be seeing my doctor later this week as well. Thanks again.

Caroline29

Old 05-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
    ess8437
    (female)

ess8437 HB User

Hi...I'm a 52 yr old female and new to this forum. I have had HBP for 20 some yrs. My blood pressure has been higher than normal for a yr now. I started to experience head aches, nausea and dizziness two weeks ago. Then I loss partial vision followed by pain in my heart like a squeezing pressure, stomach pain (lower part of stomach), headache and nausea. From that time on I experience feeling very weak, hard to think clearly and nausea, just want to sleep. I'll check my BP and it is very low and so is my pulse. Yesterday every step I took just exhuasted me. I'm concerned why I feel so weak and tired like I haven't had any sleep in days, and the nausea. A week before my chest pain I was at my doctors appointment and he heard a heart mumur my doctor had a echo done on my heart and they found three heart murmurs. This is new info for me to take in. Does anyone have any ideas why I'm feeling so weak?

Thank you

Old 05-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
    ess8437
    (female)

ess8437 HB User

Hi...I'm a 52 yr old female and new to this forum. I have had HBP for 20 some yrs. My blood pressure has been higher than normal for a yr now. I started to experience head aches, nausea and dizziness two weeks ago. Then I loss partial vision followed by pain in my heart like a squeezing pressure, stomach pain (lower part of stomach), headache and nausea. From that time on I experience feeling very weak, hard to think clearly and nausea, just want to sleep. I'll check my BP and it is very low and so is my pulse. Yesterday every step I took just exhuasted me. I'm concerned why I feel so weak and tired like I haven't had any sleep in days, and the nausea. A week before my chest pain I was at my doctors appointment and he heard a heart mumur my doctor had a echo done on my heart and they found three heart murmurs. This is new info for me to take in. Does anyone have any ideas why I'm feeling so weak?

Thank you

Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
    ess8437
    (female)

ess8437 HB User
    Unhappy Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm really concerned about my symtoms! After posting my symtoms I am feeling nauseated and weak again. Any advice?

Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ess,

A lot of what you are describing sounds like it might be MIGRAINE related: headache partial vision loss.
    With 3 murmurs you want to get an estimate of your ejection fraction.

Caroline,
    Sounds like a bout with labyrinthitus. Try some meclizine (OTC and Rx...like 25 mg.) It's only symptomatic relief but it may help the misery of vertigo. An inflamed inner ear can persist for a very long time but usually resolves itself. Is ANYTHING more horrible than that body falling sensation to one side...like being trapped in a slow moving clothes dryer?

Last edited by Lenin; 05-11-2007 at 06:38 AM.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
    Caroline29
    (female)

Caroline29 HB User

Hello again Lenin (and anyone with possible insight

(slow moving clothes dryer, I like that description, lol)

Update: I returned to the doctor for check-up after cardiac cath...both my doctor and the cardiologist believe the symptoms are not heart related. I brought up the concern of small arteries possibly clogged that wouldn't show during a cardiac catherization...basically he said the cardiac cath. is the final say on the heart, if it's negative then my heart is fine. (not sure I 100% believe that, but I sure want to)

I believe I have more than one issue going on (as does my doctor) but can't seem to pin-point exactly what and why. The vertigo symptoms started about the same time as all of the others, possibly coincidence. I do not have typical vertigo symptoms at all, other than the tinnitus and occasional imbalance. I've never have the spinning sensation of the room or myself that the doctors say are usually present. What I do get is VERY hard to describe.

I also began experiencing the other bizarre symptoms a little more than a year ago. I experience this terrible feeling in my head...not quite dizzy, more lightheaded, it's MUCH worse if I'm physically exerting myself. This is why the Docs. decided to test my heart. I also become fatigued and short-winded and my heart races or pounds.

I call it almost a rush or whoosh of this horrible sensation in my head. I've never fainted, so I don't know if I'm on the verge, but whatever it is it scares the heck out of me. I've gotten much better at controlling the anxiety that it causes, since I've had over a year to practice.

One symptom I've noticed, extreme heat intolerance. (Not just my usual menopausal hot flashes.) This heat intolerance brings on some of the other horrible symptoms that seem to mimic heart disease and the horrible "head feeling"

I also do have rapid heart beat at strange times. Sometimes I wake up and my heart will pound and race, sometimes if I move too quickly, sometimes it seems for no reason at all. It's not like something has startled me or anything like that. I've learned to lay back down and deep breath.

A little background: I have had headaches all of my adult life and I'm 47. Occasional severe migraines with blurred vision and nausea, but usually just bad headache (neurologists categorize all of my headaches as migraines though) Very sensitive to weather changes, especially barometric pressure. (Also a neck injury from childhood car accident)

I appreciate your patience with me, I know I'm being longwinded. I just feel that some of these symptoms may somehow be related. I don't know, but it's wreaked havoc on my life. I was a strong avid gardener and painter not much more than a year ago. I've had to give up my passion for flowers this year.

I'm researching deligently trying to find answers. I wonder if I could be having orthostatic intolerance (isn't that when blood pressure drops?) during these spells and not know it. Is is common to have that and have high blood pressure? The meds have my blood pressure under control, but I remember when I was hospitalized originally for the vertigo stuff over a year ago....the nurses had me stand and my blood pressure would drop drastically and I would feel lightheaded. When I was hospitalized just a couple of weeks ago after the cardiac cath., they actually stopped giving me my blood pressure med. after a day because my blood pressure was about 80/35.

I've found something on a website that is not in laymen's terms when I searched under heat intolerance and heart racing, etc. This is what I've found that I don't understand:
    - Othostatic tachycardia
    - Neurocardiogenic syncope or presyncope
    - Cardiac sympathetic dysautonomia in chronic orthostatic intolerance syndromes

Please forgive how long this post is, I'm just hoping background might give a better perspective and if all of this ends up and relates to hormones, well... I think I might scream And maybe someone other than myself can be helped by all of my weird symptoms as well.

Thanks,
    Caroline

Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Caroline,

It REALLY sounds like orthostatic hypotension...what BP meds are you taking?
    If it IS orthostatic hypotension then the best way to test it is to cut down or stop the BP meds and see if the symptoms go away.
    Then all you need do is make sure that you take enough to control Bp without OVERcontrolling it.

Mixing menopause migraine and antihypertensive meds can create a panoply of weirdness.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
    Caroline29
    (female)

Caroline29 HB User

Thanks Lenin,

I'm on Lisinopril-HCTZ, but only for about 2 1/2 months. Before taking this Bp. med, it was usually 150/95, then the bottom # began staying around 100 and then Dr. put me on the Bp. med.

When all the weird symptoms began, I was not on any meds. at all. Had not even been to the Dr. in a long time. My doc. is now going to send me to a neurologist and see what he thinks. I had an MRI of my brain a year ago when the attack happened in the middle of the night. I think they found one

Can someone have high and low blood pressure? When I was researching my symptoms, they also match hypothyrodism-but I'm pretty sure doc. checked my thyroid levels a few months ago. The racing heart, lighheadedness, extreme heat intolerance, fatigue and even sometimes shakey hands (as if I need food) were some of the not-so-classic hypothyroid symptoms.

I'm also on Effexor XR (since about last summer) for the severe hot flashes I was having then. But again, I was not on it when the first symptoms began.
    The first time I had the above symptoms was when I was walking my dog. The "falling over" in the middle of the night happened about a week later. Have never had this happen again. Only imbalance and sick lightheadedness.

I don't know, all I know is there is something wrong with me. I've never been a hypochrondriac and I really think the doctors are missing something and since it's my body, I'm going to try to help them find it!

Thank you so much for your input,
    Caroline

P.S. I just read the other posts on earlobe creases. I 've never even looked, but I have a crease in each lobe, deeper in the right lobe! I'm going to watch to see is they disappear later in the day, I've been awake for about 3 1/2 hours already though. Oh my...

Last edited by Caroline29; 05-16-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #11
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

LOL,

Maybe we should never have begun that discussion of earlobe creases...
    I'm sure everybody is searching their earlobes now!

Next time you see your doc, Caroline, ask him if he thought you have a tendency to labyrinthitis?

Last edited by Lenin; 05-17-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
    Caroline29
    (female)

Caroline29 HB User

Lenin,

Thanks so much for putting up with all of my long winded ramblings! I appreciate all of your help and insight. I'm going to go put in a pair of my favorite earrings and be happy!

Closed Thread