It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Is 22 young for PAC's/PVC's?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
    EvansD
    (male)

EvansD HB User
    Is 22 young for PAC's/PVC's?

Hi everyone I'm new to these boards though I have been reading through them. I know there are various threads on PVC/PAC stuff so sorry for making a new one.

About a week ago I started having Palpitations pretty badly. At first I ignored
    them, and went out drinking with friends after work, and drank Vodka and Redbull. (real freaking smart yeah I know) The next day they seemed worse but I thought they'd just go away. About 3-4 months ago I had the same problem with the Palpitations, (Must have had at least 5 palpitations a minute during these couple days) but with a few good night sleeps they went away and I forgot about the incident until now.

I work at Starbucks but I'm not a heavy coffee drinker, and I've always been sensitive to caffine and stimulants. The most coffee I've ever had at work is 3shots of esspresso, but usually I have 2 in the morning (My shift starts at 4:30am). Snice this past Saturday I have stopped the caffine altogether, and plan not to have any ever again at this point.

Anyways, I made an appointment to see a Cardiologist, and got a Holter Moninter put on yesterday, and took it off this morning. There must be at least 1,000 palpitations on it I'd say, more or less though I'm not sure. When I took it off this morning the nurse performed an Echocardiogram, and noticed that she saw many palpitations. I see the Doc himslef this Firday and I'm ridiculously anxious. I've been G00gle.com'ing info. on Heart problems that seem like I may have (symptom wise) and PAC's or PVC's seem the closest call.

It's a bit early to be researching on my own I know, since I haven't even spoken to the Doc yet, but I can't help myself. I stumbled upon Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia, A.R.V.D. and scared the living daylight out of myslef as well as Atrial Fibrillation. Are there more symptoms to these disorders then simple non-painful palpitations? I haven't been lightheaded, or dizzy so far, I went for a one mile run yesterday (first time in a couple years I'd say) and I was okay after. I had a mild headache for 10 mins but it went away quick. My palpitations seemed to ease up a little after but came back strong two hours after the run. Besides that no problems and it felt good.

I'm young, and besides these plapitations, real healthy, and have been worrying the heck out of myslef. With the symptoms I've been experiencing can I eliminate the possiblity of A.R.V.D, and Atrial Fibrillation? PAC/PVC's seem like the casue to me but I'm trying to narrow it down. Just one or two palpitations never scared me, but a few in a minute sure the heck does. My main question is if there is a relationship between age and PVC/PAC's. Anyone know? Anyone out there as young as me having the same problem, or am I alone on this one?

Thanks for listening and please post any advice or if anyone may be experiencing the same problems as me. Thanks and I'll post after my visit with the Doc on Friday.

Last edited by EvansD; 05-30-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
    desiii
    (female)

desiii HB User
    Re: Is 22 young for PAC's/PVC's?

I had them at your age as well. Dr's never found anything wrong. They went away after a few months. Now I've got them again, more than a decade later, and I don't know why. Good plan cutting out the coffee. Make sure you avoid cola too. You also might want to avoid alcohol, as it can often cause them.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
    plavixman
    (male)

plavixman HB User

Its definitely not too young, my youngest son started when he was in his mid 20"s and after about 2 years he had pacemaker implanted at 26. It was the best thing he ever did. It made him much more secure and he was able to get on with his life.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
    EvansD
    (male)

EvansD HB User

At what point would someone consider getting a pacemaker implanted? Would benign PVC's or PAC's be enough to consider getting one? That kind of frightens me.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I've had PVCs since age 12.

Goodness, you don't need a pacemaker for PVCs. PVCs are harmless unless you have tens of thousands of them per day. Even if you had tens of thousands of them per day, you'd have an ablation done, or you'd try beta blockers, not a pacemaker.

You're jumping to very unlikely conclusions, so calm down and just let your doctor see the results of the holter monitor and then try to stop worrying. It's extremely unlikely that anything life threatening is going on. Benign palpitations are very common.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
    itsmebeck
    (female)

itsmebeck HB User

I just wanted to agree with Timber. I'm 27 and have had constant PVC's for as long as I can remember!! (The first time I realized my heart beat was different was when watching Dirty Dancing, and the scene where he's holding her hand over his heart to feel the beat, and I realized, hmm, my heart doesn't sound like that!? I was like 7 when that movie came out!?) It seems like EVERY doctor that listens to my heartbeat orders an EKG because it's such an odd rhythm, but they always just send me on my way after looking at the results. But just recently my doctor decided to put me on a med that will help them but only because I also tend to have high blood pressure, a fast pulse and migraines, and there just happens to be a med out there that will treat all that along with the PVC's so that's what my doctor put me on! (The med is Atenolol.) I haven't actually noticed a difference with the PVC's, they are still always there just as often, but it's definitely helping in the migraine department!! And yeah, like you when I drink alcohol, no matter how little, the pvc's always get worse, it feels like my heart will just fly right out of my chest.. I don't even bother to drink anymore because I just hate that sensation so much! Anyway, I hope that kind of puts your mind at ease, they really aren't a big deal!!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Evans,
    Try to lose the stimulants.
    Don't do the Starbucks perks...ask for a raise instead???

It's quite possible caffeine plays NO part in your palps but give a week without it and see if things don't improve.

Nothing wrong with VOdka and Tonic?

Last edited by Lenin; 05-31-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
    EvansD
    (male)

EvansD HB User

Thanks everyone for replying to my post! Yeah, I know I'm a worry wort, I've always been an anxious person, and I need to wait to see what the Doc has to say after looking at my ECG, and Holter.

I live in SoCal, and have had a weekend party it up lifestyle, and all my friends are the same. (Only booze and occasional pot, nothing else) I'm afraid that I'll have to make lifestyle changes and this makes me kind of depressed. For instance, my friends 21st B-Day is on June12, and just happens to be at a freakin bar. I've completely avoided smoking pot because I'm afraid it will make my Palps worsen, and prolong them. I have no idea if pot can effect the heart in this way, but I have been smoking it on and off for a few years since I graduated Highschool.

Maybe all this will help me concentrate more in school, and less on self pleasurable things like weed/alcohol. Thanks again for the replies, they really make me feel better!

Closed Thread