It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• heart palpitations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
    allplay
    (male)

allplay HB User
    heart palpitations

Last year after a long night of beer drinking, I woke up, and my heart was racing at a speed faster than it would playing a contact sport. I went to try to take a shower, but I was so faint that I could barely stand up. I went back to my bed and laid down. My heart did not stop beating at the high rate. I waited 10minutes, then called a friend of mine that lived in the same building of my apartment complex. He came to my room, felt my heart, and recognized that it was beating at a tremendous rate. It had happened to him once before, but the doctor told him it was a panic attack. He told me that it was probably just that, and gave me some water, and cooked a burrito, and told me to call him if I needed anything. My heartrate didn't decrease for about an hour.

That was the beginning of my problems. About a week later the same thing happened, but I passed it off as anther panic attack, it was also after drinking. After those 2 events, last summer everytime after I drank my heartrate would increase the next morning lying in my bed. Never were as bad as the first 2 times, but some lasted about 30minutes and I could not get back to sleep after that.

Fall semester of college started back, and my drinking decreased to about 1 time per week, and the palpatations disappeared about 80%.

Fast forward to the beggining of this summer, everytime I drank the palpatations come back. These did not have the same high heart rate as the first ones, but many times they lasted for hours. 100% of the time the morning after, this would occur. I learned that if I laid on my right side, the palpatations would go away, but I have a 45 degree scoliosis curve, and that is very, very, uncomfortable. If I sat up in bed, they would go away as well, but I needed sleep. Sometimes the palpations would wake me up at 4am and I would not be able to go to sleep at all...would have to sleep later in the day. I also noticed that the palpatations seemed to occur 100% of the time in my own bed, but if I slept on the couch at a friends house, about 33% of the time after drinking. This was causing me insomnia, just couldn't get to sleep. Actually tried taking some sleeping pills, but they didn't work, just made me feel very tired the next day after little sleep that night.

About 2months ago I got a job that I work 5 days a week 1am-7am, so I only drink once a week. The palpatations have pretty much dissappeared excpet for maybe 33% of the time after i drink.

Man, this post is making me look like an alcoholic, but I'm in college, most students drink a lot more than me.

My question is this, should I be worried? I have read some information on this, and every source says alcohol can cause palpatations. Also, what kind of damage is this doing to my heart? Anyway to stop them (stop drinking alcohol is one way...)? Should I head to the doctor soon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User
    Re: heart palpitations

Allplay,

I would definately consult a doctor. I have had SVT(what you describe) since I was 19 and in college. Sometimes they just last less than a minute or last over an hour. Never had it come on after a night of drinking though and I had my share of drinks in college also. The palpatations you get could be benign or it could be a warning sign of something else going on. The one thing that worries me that you felt faint which is not a good sign and you should really call an ambulance.
    Drs think that stress, anxiety and hormones bring mine on. And by doctors I see both a cardio and a GP.
    I would definately have it looked at and also if you do any recreational drugs, please stop. Alcohol in moderation is okay, but any stimulants are a huge no-no with palps.

I would definatley have it looked at now.....

Lyl

Last edited by lylone; 07-17-2007 at 05:05 AM.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
    confused32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

confused32 HB User

I use to drink alot up till about 2 years ago then i quit. Here recently i have been going out a few times a month and i have noticed that every time i drink my heart rate goes through the roof if i only have a couple and if i have more than that i wake up with my heart beating about 160 bpm and it stays that way for awhile. Needles to say i am not drinking anymore. I have had my heart checked out ALOT and they say its fine. I can not handle anything with caffine in it or it makes my heart feel like its flipping over in my chest and i dont like that feeling so i dont touch anything with caffine. As soon as i noticed that alchol did that to me i stopped drinking, i dont like feeling like my heart is going to pound out of my chest.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
    fancis
    Inactive
    (female)

fancis HB User

Could you be allergic to something you're drinking? My heart does that if I have sulfites in alcohol or food. It does that sometimes anyways lol but I've found that I can only drink certain kinds of vodka now.

Closed Thread