It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Pressure over heart, numbness on left side of face, tension in left throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
    49YearOldMale
    (male)

49YearOldMale HB User
    Pressure over heart, numbness on left side of face, tension in left throat

Hello, I am a 49 year old male with 2-out-of=10 pressure over the right side of my heart (specific pressure - not pain), numbness spread out over the left side of my face (which seems to vary with whether I am lying down, sitting, or standing), and some tingling in my left arm, left leg, and the joints of my left arm and left leg. I have also had some dizziness, a slight choking sensation, and some disorientation - like being in a "daze", and a strange feeling that my left eye is dry or tingling behind it; very weird. I am of normal height and weight, and I have had high cholesterol reports over the years. When I reported to the ER, my blood pressure was 149 over 90 - the highest readings I've ever had in my life. Another thing, this morning, my Right eye had blurred vision - with lines that seemed clear or white colored in random shaped line formations. Strange.

All these symptoms happened all at once. Lots of stress in my life currently. I thought maybe that all these problems could be entirely stress-related, but the dizziness & numbness got my attention. So, I went to a local ER to see what was the problem. The ER doc ordered a CT scan which she said was normal. The also did blood for electrolyte levels - also determined to be normal.

I was given accommodate (-1sp) to see if I would calm down and perhaps if the symptoms would go away. Generally, the symptoms did go away, but there is still numbness on the left 1/2 of my body (mostly face), and I am concerned about what is the problem. After the effects of "accommodate" did their job, my BP dropped to 119/70 - which is my normal reading.

I am puzzled. My father had heart problems at 55 (bypass), and my grandfather died of congestive heart failure. Cancer also runs in my family.

I just want to know what is wrong with me. Anyone have any recommendations on how to find out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
    hopesprings2
    Inactive
    (female)

hopesprings2 HB User
    Re: Pressure over heart, numbness on left side of face, tension in left throat

thats sounds like you need to be checked out by another doctor,like your reg MD.If you got the symtoms then it might of upset you and made it worse.
    however that doesnt rule out heart problems.or stoke.my father only had numbness and had blocked artiers in the neck.Go to your MD

Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
    tomah
    (female)

tomah HB User

I'm surprised that they didn't do an ultrasound of your carotid arteries in your neck. Was it a brain cat scan? Could be anxiety and stress - but I would schedule a full exam with your primary doctor - he can always recommend you for a stress test. Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
    49YearOldMale
    (male)

49YearOldMale HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomah View Post
    I'm surprised that they didn't do an ultrasound of your carotid arteries in your neck. Was it a brain cat scan? Could be anxiety and stress - but I would schedule a full exam with your primary doctor - he can always recommend you for a stress test. Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.
    I forgot that they did do an ultrasound of my arteries on both sides of my neck. The ER physician said they looked okay. It's 2 days later, and now I feel significantly better. I still have a very minor numbness feeling on the left side of my face, but otherwise, I feel much better, with only a very slight hint of any chest pressure. My plan is an appointment with my regular physician and perhaps she will schedule me for a stress test...and I am somewhat inclined to believe that my symptoms were related to stress and anxiety. Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by 49YearOldMale; 08-31-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Closed Thread