It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Question about heart catheterizations...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
    SteveRoberts
    (male)

SteveRoberts HB User
    Question about heart catheterizations...

I just got back from a visit to my cardiologist. I was having chest pains and was on my way to the ER, but I passed by my cardiologist's office and they worked me in.

I told the cardiologist that I was scared I was going to have a heart attack. He said a few things that were reassuring, but the statement he made that really got my attention had to do with the heart catheterization that he performed on me in the summer of 2005. He said, "Don't you remember that I did a heart cath on you and the results were no blockages?" I told him that I did remember, but I said that things can happen in the interim to make it to where you can have a heart attack. He said, "What do you want, a heart cath every year?" I told him that I did not want that. But his exact words were, "The heart cath results are good for life." I said something like, "Really??" because I was very surprised he would say this, and he then qualified his statement by saying, "Unless you develop diabetes", or one other condition that I am not remembering at the moment.

Is my caridiologist correct? Unless I get diabetes or have some other condition that I don't believe that I have, then I can be sure that my good heart cath results from 2.5 years ago means I am "good for life". I told my wife what he said when I got home, and she was very much skepital. But she said something like, "Hey, what do I know, this guy's whole life is cardiology, so obviously he is correct." I figured that high blood pressure or high cholesterol or who knows could cause some problems, especially if over 2 years have passed since the heart cath was performed.

Do any of you have thoughts on this? I have been very worried the past 2 days about this chest pain, and his words were great to hear, but I am skepital. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
    bikerbabe
    (female)

bikerbabe HB User
    Re: Question about heart catheterizations...

Hi, I'd say get another doc right away. I've had my aortic valve replaced and 2 bypasses. I've also been told since that because my heart had to work so hard before surgery that it has damaged other organs.

I went to the ER a few times before surgery. They usually keep you 24 hours if it's a heart related case. Unless of course, they say it's anxiety. An anxiety attack mimics a heart attack as does heartburn and acid reflux.

No matter what it is, your doc sounds like maybe he's overworked and doesn't have the time to really listen. (that's the nice way of saying what i'd really like to say).

good luck.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
    huckfinn
    (male)

huckfinn HB User

Your doctor's words sound like a "48 hours Medical Personnel Homicide Investigation". I have had 10, yes 10 cardiac catheterizations due to very aggressive coronary artery disease (CAD).

I have watched blockages in my LAD, LCX and OM develop from 30 to 95% blockages. I have 6 stents and I also have the maximum number of stents (4) that I can have in my LAD. So bypass is soon because it is becoming blocked. This blockage is being monitored with angiograms via cardiac catheterizations. I have hyperlipidemia and have not been able to tolerate statins.

Your doctor should be ashamed. Just do a search on CAD. Are you sure that he was not joking?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
    SteveRoberts
    (male)

SteveRoberts HB User

Thank you for your replies BikerBabe and Huck.

No Huck, I don't think he was joking. He absolutely stated it, and he said it in a serious tone. But he's from India, and sometimes there is a definite communication breakdown between us, so there are times when I leave his office not having a clue what he told me. He is a very personable guy and all his patients seem to like him. I like him too, but I'm less concerned about his personality and more about how good a Dr. he is. I think I need to find a Dr. I can trust and one that I can understand. I think BikerBabe is correct and that I should find a new Dr.

He had told me in 2005 that he was 99% sure that my heart was ok and that there were no blockages, but that if I wanted to be 100% sure that he could do a heart cath. He said he didn't think I needed one, but doing a heart cath would be the only way to know 100%. What brought me in to see him in the first place was chest pain. The chest pain at that time, 2004, could have been from alcohol use and not eating correctly. But I was so paranoid that I went to a cardiologist. He did a EKG, Holter monitor, stress test, and echocardiogram and after all of that told me I'm fine, just like he thought. This was all in the fall of 2004. But by summer of 2005 I was back to see him with chest pain. Again, the pain could have been the result of alcohol abuse and bad eating. It was at this time that he said that he thinks my heart is fine, but if I wanted to be sure, do the heart cath.

He has had me on Toprol XL 50 mg since fall of 2004 when I first saw him. I asked him why I am on the Toprol is my heart is indeed ok, and he has told me that it is for my high blood pressure. I monitor my blood pressure at home and it usually is in the range of 125-130/85-90. The Dr. just recently prescribed a statin because of high LDL after doing a complete blood count a few weeks ago. I haven't started taking the statin as of yet because of things I've been reading online from skeptical Dr.'s about how statins are a scam. I have not yet made up my mind on whether I should begin taking the statin.

I'm lost, really worried, and kind of don't know what to do. So much information. When you read one opinion, there is another to refute it.

Yesterday when I saw this cardiologist, he referred me to a psychiatrist. I would guess this was because of the consistent paranoid manner in which I come across. And probably how I always question him and don't seem to believe what he says. It irritated him yesterday. For instance, one time yesterday I asked him if he was 100% sure my chest pain was not a symptom of anything related to any kind of heart condition, and he was very terse and said, "Yes!" Then he said, "1000%!" By the way, I don't blame him for becoming irritated. My wife gets irritated too, and it would also get on my nerves if someone were always complaining about this and that and was scared and paranoid about their health. There is no doubt that I am hypersensitive about my health. My wife says that I'm a hypochondriac. And this Dr. can see it too. But I was really having the chest discomfort.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
    bikerbabe
    (female)

bikerbabe HB User

Ok, sit down and relax... take a few deep breaths. Change your lifestyle while you're at it.

You don't really want to have heart problems... they're ABSOLUTLY no fun.

I'm in chronic pain from another condition and my pain management doctor requires his patients to see a counselor. It helps, no matter what the complaint.

That being said... If you are having chest pains...
    YOU are the only one who knows how your body feels.
    YOU pay the docs to find out.
    THEY work for you. Fire him and go somewhere else.

There are some cases when an EKG shows nothing. I was told by my surgeon and cardio that sometimes the only way to know what is going on is surgery. This was my case. My aortic valve was calcified, but echo's and blood tests and EKG's showed nothing.

Go to another doc, or the ER next time. Go to a counselor. Be thinking about what causes the pain... A night of drinking/eating then throwing up? I applaud you for telling your doc the truth, but I can't say as I blame him for blowing you off after hearing it.

After all this it boils down to a simple statement. Go somewhere else.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
    SteveRoberts
    (male)

SteveRoberts HB User

Thanks BikerBabe.

I am definitely going to get a new doc.

Closed Thread