It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Racing heart when standing, climbing stairs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
    AMacho426
    (female)

AMacho426 HB User
    Racing heart when standing, climbing stairs

I'm 25 years old and I work out four to five times a week. My workout includes weights and cardio for at least 30 minutes. I have no problem working out, but for some reason when I climb stairs my hearts beats very fast and hard. And sometimes I feel lightheaded or like I might pass out. I usually have to stop at the top of the stairs (even if it's one flight) and catch my breath and slow my heart down.

I also get this feeling if I stand in one place to long. For example on my subway ride to work. The issue isn't that I'm out of shape. I'm 5'5'' and 125 lbs. and I work out. I'm starting to think it might be my heart. Has anyone else ever experienced symptoms like this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
    Roscoe36
    (male)

Roscoe36 HB User
    Re: Racing heart when standing, climbing stairs

Funny (well, not funny, but more interesting) that I have had that symptom for a long time, but no one has ever said that they have it.

I am 5'9", 200 lb. 29 year old male who works out about 3 days a week, doing about 45 minutes to an hour of cardio with no problem. When I climb a flight of stairs though, I have the same symptoms as you!! It is very disconcerting. However, strangely enough, when I am at the gym doing the [B]stairmaster[B], I don't feel anything.

I can tell you that I have had all the heart tests done, and they have all come back fine. I am not suggesting that you do so, but saying rather that this is normal. If you can work out as often as you do, with no problem, then it is almost certainly not your heart. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

Well here is two things to throw at you to think about. There is a condition out there called autonomic dysfunction. It can cause rapid heart rates with things such as standing. Essentially it is a dysfunction that happens with hormones causing changes in how the body reacts. For example a condition called POTS, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, is where your blood pressure drops when standing and in response your heart rate increases. You can experience anything from passing out, dizziness, palpitation, etc. However if you stand for long periods of time the blood pools in your legs and doesnt get back to your heart which is why some people pass out after standing. That is why they recommend you do bent knees or move your legs around. There is a test out there called tilt table test where they measure your blood pressure and heart closely with positions changes. Its very easy, all you do is lay on a table and they monitor everything and then move the table to an upright position and watch what happens. Then they have you bear down or hyperventilate and she what happens. THis test would be able to see what is happening with your blood pressure and heart rate when you do things like climb stairs or stand for a while. Just something to think about. POTS is not a heart condition its the autonomic dysfunction. Which may be why you can work out and have no other heart problems. Like I said something to think about or ask if you see a doctor. The treatment for this ranges from just drinking a lot of water, to increasing your salt intake, to medications. Good luck

Old 01-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
    beckie1060
    (female)

beckie1060 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AMacho426 View Post
    I'm 25 years old and I work out four to five times a week. My workout includes weights and cardio for at least 30 minutes. I have no problem working out, but for some reason when I climb stairs my hearts beats very fast and hard. And sometimes I feel lightheaded or like I might pass out. I usually have to stop at the top of the stairs (even if it's one flight) and catch my breath and slow my heart down.

I also get this feeling if I stand in one place to long. For example on my subway ride to work. The issue isn't that I'm out of shape. I'm 5'5'' and 125 lbs. and I work out. I'm starting to think it might be my heart. Has anyone else ever experienced symptoms like this before?
    I had a lot of the same systoms youhave and I had the tilt table test done at Cleveland clinic it was positive for orthostatic hypotension, high blood pressure resting and gets lower the more I do. That was in 2006 , I was also wore out all the time and my legs were like lead. in 2007 I had to have open heart surgery and kidney stents . autonomic is serious they told me ,Dr. fouad that is ,the brain and heart aren',t getting the right signals. As for the tilt table test not much to it takes about an hour. best wishes Beckie

Closed Thread