It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Crease in earlobe issue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User
    Crease in earlobe issue

I stumbled onto this somehow yesterday and then ******d it and to my amazement there are a ton of pages pertaining to this issue. It is said if you have diagonal creases in your earlobes it is a major prediction for a heart attack/heart disease or sudden death from heart issues. Is there any medical science behind this? Of course I ran to the bathroom and noticed that I of course have a crease in each lobe though they are right in the spot where I had earring holes so its hard to tell if these are the type of creases being discussed..I can't win for nothing with this heart of mine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User
    Re: Crease in earlobe issue

There were a couple of posts about this last year some time if you want to look back. Can't remember when - probably mid year sometime. Needless to say they had me running to the mirror...LOL

Old 02-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

Heh ya , oh well..I already know I have narrowing so why should I care about the crease in my lobes lol..I want a heart transplant in the worst way , start fresh

Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

Actually I just realised if you want to read the old posts about it, and maybe you shouldn't because it sounds like you're wound up enough...you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and the related threads are listed at the bottom and you can click straight into them. But if you want to do something good for your heart I was reading a book about the 8 week cholesterol cure and it said that eating oat bran every day and taking 3 g of nicotinamide a day (it's one of the B vitamins) can halve your risk of heart attack.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User

I've ALWAYS heard this. I too have those darned creases, as does my beautiful 24 yr. old daughter. My grandmother had them, and although she DID suffer a massive H.A., in her late 70's. she sailed through quadrouple bypass..and lived past her 90th b/day. I just assumed that my daughter and I inherited these ugle creases. Now I have to go. I haven't thought about this is a while, and I am going to go and examine them. (ha) Seriously... I think it's true, in some instances.. When I asked my cardiologist about this about 3-4 yrs. back, he didn't deny it, just sort of moved on to another subject, since I'm the "nrevous" type. I worry about thngs with my heart..Good luck to you and if any one else knows anymore SIGNIFICANT data on this..can we pleas hear form you???

Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User

I also have the crease on one ear. Last year I had a nuclear stress test that came up fine. There may be something to the crease-heart disease association, but no one has been able to articulate exactly what it is.

Try and lead a heart healthy life as best you can. The bottom line is, no doctor on this planet will authorize an angiogram, or even a stress test simply because you have a crease in your ear, and this isn't likely to change any time soon. My own doctor laughed for almost 10 minutes when I brought this up.

tamuprof45

Old 02-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
    Beefsteak
    Veteran
    (male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trixibel View Post
    ... But if you want to do something good for your heart I was reading a book about the 8 week cholesterol cure and it said that eating oat bran every day and taking 3 g of nicotinamide a day (it's one of the B vitamins) can halve your risk of heart attack.
    Trixi,
    I wondered if you have a reference to that article about nicotinamide? A book you say? These so-called wonder treatments come and go but I would like to check this one out and see if anyone has tried it, or if it has been investigated scientifically.

Many thanks,
    Beefy.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

The book's by Robert E. Kowalski and it's called the 8 Week Cholesterol Cure. And I was wrong - it's not nicotinamide, it's niacin or nicotinic acid, not nicotinamide or niacinamide because apparently the niacin and na metabolise into nicotinamide and niacinamide in the liver and it's that process that lowers the cholesterol. They say that people with high cholesterol levels should take up to 3 grams per day, but probably start on a lower dose and work your way up becaues niacin can cause flushing. I remember taking a supplement containing it once and for months I thought I was going into early menopause. But the flushing's harmless and not related to the heart. It's quite an old book - published in 1987 - I'm a bit sceptical because even though studies were done - if it was so fantastic why haven't the doctors picked up on it and promoted it? But it's not going to hurt anyone to eat oat bran and take nicotinic acid, it's a water soluble vitamin, it doesn't get stored in the body like vit A and E. Anything's worth a try, I think.

Closed Thread