It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Constantly racing. Anxiety or not?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
    Aalewyn
    (female)

Aalewyn HB User
    Unhappy Constantly racing. Anxiety or not?

Things are so messed up for me right now. I've got a pretty nasty infection in one of my wisdom teeth, and it's been making me sick for a couple of weeks now. I'll hopefully be seeing a dentist later this week, but I'm really worried about what to do until then.

I've been having random pains in my chest. Not horribly often, but they've happened the past few days. I do have acid reflux, so I know some of it is that. I've gotten pretty decent at telling what pains are due to that awful heartburn. Last night I was sitting here and suddenly a pain started in the middle of my chest and it moved up to the base of my throat in kind of a wave. It felt like someone had taken my heart and was trying to squeeze the life out of it. It only lasted a couple of seconds, and then it dissipated.

Of course I got pretty freaked about that. It took me a while to get to sleep due to my pounding heart. All day today, my heart has been racing. Actually, almost everyday when I wake up my heart is beating pretty fast. Usually if I have a glass of water and a bite to eat, it'll calm down. Today, that wasn't the case. For a large part of the day I had spells of dizziness and nausea, and my heart was constantly racing. The one time I took my pulse it was 117. It had been both higher and a little lower during the day.I know that's in the tachychardic range, but not into the heart attack range persay. Still, it worries me.

I'm all too aware that dental abcesses can cause heart problems. That combined with the fact that I'm a recovering drug addict...I'm scared. I had an ekg and such a couple of months ago because of horrid blood pressure when coming off propranolol(I was put on it for anxiety). The EKG was normal, and the blood tests showed no heart proteins in my blood.

So, I guess I shouldn't make this much longer. Haha. I do have anxiety problems, and I'm prone to panic attacks. This deters me from seeking emergency attention due to the times in the past I've gone in with panic attacks, not knowing that's what they were, and been treated horribly by doctors. I don't have insurance, so it's kind of tough to know what to do.

I'm only 22, but I'm significantly overweight. I'm working on that. I've lost about twenty pounds so far. I'm a smoker. I only smoke 5 or 6 cigarettes a day, but still that's bad. There's a history of heart problems in my family. My grandmother suffered from congestive heart failure, and my mom has heart problems right now.

Should I be worried? Or should I just chalk it up to anxiety? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Aalewyn; 02-18-2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: thought maybe some background might be helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
    bb123
    (female)

bb123 HB User
    Re: Constantly racing. Anxiety or not?

I would definitely chalked it up to anxiety. the more you think about your heart, it get worst. It is hard, I know......
    Try to get your mind to do other things. Quit smoking, start taking care of your health, seriously.
    Go for a walk, take few deep breaths.
    Be a good idea to have a full check up. You are young so, you should be pretty health.
    Good luck.....

Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
    Aalewyn
    (female)

Aalewyn HB User

Well I wound up in the ER today. They pushed me through fast track and paid little attention to anything but the dental pain since that was my biggest complaint.

When I got there, though, my bp was 150/94. My heart rate was 111. I was so dizzy it was hard to walk. Still, they did nothing more than throw some antibiotics and pain pills my way and shove me out the door.

It was another day of my heart racing incessantly. I almost passed out waiting in line at the pharmacy. I'm not sure what to do. My left leg has been hurting for hours, and those weird pains in my chest are still there.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

Keep doing what your doing with the weight loss..i would stop smoking as you have family history of heart disease and smoking will lead you to an early heart attack..trust me on this one. If you continue to have this fast heart rate go see a cardiologist and ask them to put a holter monitor on you and they can also give you meds to slow the heart rate down if needed. More exercise and weight loss will be a huge help to you and your heart.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
    Aalewyn
    (female)

Aalewyn HB User

Thanks for the reply. My heart has slowed down considerably. I checked my blood pressure about 20 minutes ago and it was a little elevated, but I had just smokd a cigarette. My pulse was down to 89. So this makes me feel a little better, but I'm still having weird palpitations every so often. It's hard to go see a cardiologist without insurance, so I'm really hoping it's nothing. But anyway, thank you, and I am trying to quit smoking. I've cut down to just a few cigarettes a day.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

This countrys health insurance issues really stink..if you have to , go to social services and apply for medicaid so you can see a doctor for nothing ( if this problem persists , its not going to go away because you don't have insurance ). Good luck to you.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

And Please stop smoking. My father had a heart attack at an early age.
    And yes, it's a shame health insurance is too expensive for many people, that you forsake your health because you don't have the money. I have done that myself.

Closed Thread