It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

rapid heart beat.....but why?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2002, 06:23 PM   #1
Rachel87
Veteran

Rachel87 HB User
Post rapid heart beat.....but why?

I've been having a rapid heart beat for a few months now. I can feel my heart beating all of the time, but sometimes it just pounds in my chest. This happens a few times a day. Luckily a few weeks ago I had one of these spells right in the doctors office. I got very weak and shaky and my heart rate went up to 130. The doctor then informed me that I have a heart murmer. This has just showed up in the past month. She scheduled an EKG and an ECG. Both of the tests came back perfectly normal, except they noticed very slight amount of leakage on the right side of my heart..She said something about a tricuspid??? I'm sorry I can't remember what she called it.. lol I just remember the word tricuspid being in it.. Anyway, she advised me to change my diet. I was told to lower my caffeine intake, eat more protein to avoid shaky and fainting spells, and to try and avoid really sweet things. I've done this for awhile and she also put me on a low dosage of Atenolol to regulate my heart rate. It does seem to be helping, but I can still feel my heart pounding all the time. For awhile they thought I had a problem with my thyroid. It was slightly enlarged, but after doing a sonogram and several blood tests, they concluded that nothing was wrong with it. They suspected my thyroid because I've been suffering from fatigue (after having a sleep study they concluded I get very little REM sleep and I stay in Delta sleep way too long), intolerance to heat, I'm cold constantly, weight loss, shakiness, and the rapid heart beat. My doctor believes that this is all because of the murmer.. I don't believe this though because they only noticed the murmer a few weeks ago and I've been sick since March. She told me that my heart rate goes up so fast because my body has no energy to work on and because my caffeine level gets too high. She said that it's normal in girls who are thin in their back and chest area. Are all of my problems due to this heart murmer and because of the way my body processes sugar? By the way, I'm not diabetic.. (I was told that my sugar possibly "crashes" after a few hours though..) . Any ideas? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
molecal

molecal HB User
Hey I have the same problem. They thought it was my thyroid and it wasent. I constantly have a rapid heartbeat. I had several tests and they say everything is fine, but I am going to a cardiologist in 2 weeks to find out. If you find out aqnything let me know

Closed Thread