It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• High BP, Tachycardia, normal test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
    jdraper
    (male)

jdraper HB User
    High BP, Tachycardia, normal test results

I am 27 years old and about 80 pounds over my ideal weight, and have been having more and more progressively debilitating symptoms of fatigue, shortness of breath, and complete intolerance of physical activity for the past couple of years.

I was recently diagnosed with Isolated Systolic Hypertension (165/80), and my average resting pulse rate is around 98 bpm (as determined by a 24 hour holter monitor.) I have had a full battery of tests done, and everything came back normal aside from my chest xray, which showed a slightly enlarged heart.

I am scheduled to have an echocardiogram next week to see what that shows, but I wanted to ask.. does it sound like such severe symptoms could be caused simply by being out of shape? Should I be concerned about a serious underlying cause? I don't know anyone that feels as bad as I do on a daily basis.. regardless of their age, weight, or how "in shape" they are.

Last edited by jdraper; 03-01-2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: High BP, Tachycardia, normal test results

I do believe that you can feel that bad by being out of shape. And being 80 lbs overweight is nothing to take lightly. That puts a tremendous strain on your heart, especially if you are inactive. A lot also depends on the types of food you are eating. High fat and high sugar, empty calorie type stuff can really drag you down.

But I know what you mean about not feeling well despite others around you who seem just as bad off feeling fine. I do know quite a few out-of-shape 20-somethings that seem to be feeling fine. So I understand your concerns.

I had many of the same concerns myself a few years ago. My problem with the doctors is that I "look" good. I am over 40, not overweight, and I take good care of myself. But I was having horrible exercise intolerance, bouts of tachycardia, and could hardly walk without getting breathless and tired. My GP went the cardiac route, had me do an echo, and all was fine. We found out many, many months later that I had iron deficiency which then turned into anemia. The deficiency had been there awhile. It was a very simple underlying cause. Now that I've correct the anemia, I feel TONS better, no more tachycardia, no more fatigue.

So I do think it is prudent to have everything checked out. Doctors can overlook the really simple stuff. You don't say if you are male or female. The anemias are more rare in men, but if you are a woman, I say that you really need to look into this.

Closed Thread