It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• rapid pulse and dizzyness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2003, 07:42 AM   #1
    Lisasv1

Lisasv1 HB User
    Post rapid pulse and dizzyness

I'm a 36 yr old and weigh 115-120 5'5" who has a very high pulse.
    Everytime I go to the doctor it's around 128 beats per second after waiting in the waiting room nearly an hour.
    Occasionally I'll check it at Rite Aid for free and it's always extrememly high.
    I've checked it first thing in the morning when I wake up and usually find it to be around 100.
    I get dizzy spells a lot, especially if I work as a dental assistant. It's not physical exhertion, but perhaps a little stressful. When I walk around Seattle or the park, I sometimes get so dizzy I feel I'm going to faint. Even the slightest physical exhertion makes me extremely dizzy. I haven't fainted yet, but felt like I was pretty close as times.

My doctor put me on antidepressants and told me it's anxiety attacks, but I'm sure it's from my high pulse rate. None (and I've tried several types) of the antidepressants and none have helped.
    I'm also anemic. I've been anemic all my life, and no matter how much iron I take, it doesn't help. It's due to Thlassemia (mediterranian disease), I only have the beta thlassemia trait so my doctor doesn't think it's anything sagnificant. but it does make me always anemic.

Occasionally, I'll get this sharp pain in my lung or heart and have to take small shallow breaths since if I take a large breath it hurts really bad! My aunt told me it's heartburn so I considered it not important.

Does anyone think I should see my doctor regarding my high pulse rate? Whenever I go in for an exam, they check my blood pressure and pulse but have never commented on how high it is.

BTW: I smoke about a pack a day. I've tried to quit but that usually makes me feel more dizzy and irritable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2003, 07:09 AM   #2
    BryanL

BryanL HB User
    Not a doctor, but I have read that the heart will beat faster if the blood is slow in iron. In order to compensate for the lower iron levels the heart beats faster to supply more blood.

Old 03-13-2003, 12:56 PM   #3
    darnaj

darnaj HB User
    I too have these same exact problems. I delievered my son on 12-29-02. Ever since then I have been extremely tachycardic( fast heart beat). Just sitting I will be 80-88, as soon as I adjust my sitting position with out standing up I go to 100-110. Standing up I will go to 160. I am 23, 108 lbs,low cholesterol. The doc's said I have POTS, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardial Syndrome, so they put me Fludrocortisone. This was to retain salt and water so when I stand up the volume doesn't drop. They then put me on a halter monitor, results showed I needed to go on a Beta-blocker to slow it down. SO I am taking Metoprolol, which works pretty good to slow it down. But when it wears off, good lord, straight to 160. My problem here is that I have trouble breathing as well. It feels as though I can get a deep breath, but it feels weird, then it seems like my heart forces the air out of my chest. I also run out of breath just with speaking one sentence. My heart beats hard AND fast, not just fast. I have read that these two medicines can cause CHF. Does anyone have any ideas? Willing to try anything here! It has been almost 11 weeks, plus my dizziness is worse because I have L'itis. Thank you and god bless.

------------------
    Dana J

Old 03-24-2003, 03:45 AM   #4
    christina313

christina313 HB User
    Now i know you have heard this before but it could very well be anxiety. I have panic disorder and i will get ( even though i dont think about it ) where my pulse is 110+ just resting and im totally dizzy. If i go out in public i get weak/ jelly legs my vision goes blurry and i feel faint with a little bit of a head rush. You should try the antideppresents and see how that works.

------------------
    christina

Old 03-26-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
    SilkyNsoft40

SilkyNsoft40 HB User
    Consider getting Mitro valve prolapse ruled out,,i was diagnosed today with the same symptoms your having

------------------

Closed Thread