It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• PAC's & PVC's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
    Kia3238
    Inactive
    (female)

Kia3238 HB User
    Red face PAC's & PVC's

Hello, I have PAC's and PVC's. I had this condition for years and it went undiagnosed. Everyone (including my primary care physician) told me it was nothing, just stress. I knew it was something so I decided to see a specific cardiologist and he recommended I wear a 30-day loop monitor. I'm so glad I did because this answered why I was feeling my heart flip flopping and feeling like it skipped beats. Anyways, I was wondering if this condition is considered having any of the following ~ irregular heartbeat, arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, or palpitations?? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2003, 10:35 PM   #2
    projapoti
    Inactive

projapoti HB User
    Quote:
    Anyways, I was wondering if this condition is considered having any of the following ~ irregular heartbeat, arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, or palpitations?? Thanks!
    You said you have PACs and PVCs eh? For those of you who may not know, those stand for Premature atrial contractions and premature ventricular contractions (the latter of which can be deadly).

Yes...PACs and PVCs qualify as part of an irregular heartbeat, which is the same as an arrythmia. Atrial fibrillation is a little different, and is NOT the same as PAC or PVC (though technically, since the ventricles contract in an irregular pace, you could consider some of those PVCs, but let's not split hairs here! ). It is when the atria don't contract at all...in fact, they simply quiver like jelly...once in a while, a signal will conduct through to the ventricles and they'll contract. It is an irregular beat.

Palpitations are simply when you become aware of your heart beating in your chest. They can be normal (i.e. after you go for a run) but they can also be distressing when they happen for no reason (like if you have an irregular heart beat)

Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 AM   #3
    Kia3238
    Inactive
    (female)

Kia3238 HB User
    I never knew PVC's can be deadly!! My doctor said I should not worry much about it, why are PVC's more serious than PAC's? Now I'm a bit worried, I take Atenolol to stop feeling the symptoms..

Old 08-06-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
    1btg

1btg HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Kia3238:
    I never knew PVC's can be deadly!! My doctor said I should not worry much about it, why are PVC's more serious than PAC's? Now I'm a bit worried, I take Atenolol to stop feeling the symptoms..

According to the doctors, 3 PVC's in a raw = ventricular tachycardia which is a killer because the ventricles just quiver instead of contract to squeeze out the blood. But don't worry about that for now, I have many 3-5 PVC's in a raw and I'm still alive. One thing I want to tell you is about beta blockers like the atenolol you take. They can worsen the problem on some people like me, causing what docs call, proarrhythmia. Propanolol caused some very serious PVC's on me I thought for sure I was a goner. So check whith your doc immediately if you notice a worsening of your symptoms.
    Now go to google and research VTACH, PVC's , ventricular arrhythmias and all the other goodies. PAC's are hardly a problem but are scary too.
    Most of all try not to worry about these and dont panic when they come. I know they will not kill ya even though God knows how scary they are.
    I am on no meds now except coenzyme q-10 and I think it has helped a little but I don't know if it will help others.
    Good luck, keep happy and active, keep your mind off of it, avoid stress and anxiety if you can because the most common cause of pvc's are stress and anxiety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
    projapoti
    Inactive

projapoti HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Kia3238:
    Sorry...PVCs I said CAN be deadly....not in your case. Usually they're deadly when you're old and you're having them in combination with having ischemic heart disease. 1btg mentioned vtach (i.e. ventricular tachycardia) which is basically a run of PVCs as one's primary heart rhythm. It's deadly 'cause it can eventually lead to ventricular fibrillation and then death because of lack of blood flow to the brain. I'm assuming you're young, so PVCs and PABs aren't really anything to get worked up over unless you're having other types of symptoms like repeated fainting spells, or periods of confusion and stuff.

You mentioned that you were taking atenolol "for the symptoms". What do you mean by this? Did the doctors prescribe this for you? Beta-blockers are very dangerous drugs if not used properly.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
    Kia3238
    Inactive
    (female)

Kia3238 HB User
    Basically the PAC's/PVC's are not ever going to go away. By taking Atenolol, it keeps me from feeling what's going on as much. Someone said in an earlier post they are taking coenzyme q-10, what exactly does that med do??

Old 08-11-2003, 07:56 PM   #7
    luke1

luke1 HB User
    Coenzyme Q10: Coenzyme Q10, sometimes called vitamin Q, is a nutrient that every cell in the body must have in order to produce energy. It also serves as an antioxidant and has been particularly effective in the treatment of cardiovascular disease and periodontal problems. Sources include all animal products, particularly heart meat. Cholesterol-lowering drugs interfere with absorption of coenzyme Q10.

Old 12-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
    divadebi
    (female)

divadebi HB User
    Re: PAC's & PVC's

Glad to get the info on these irregular beats. I have had episodes through my 50 years, but while in my 20's I wore the heart monitor and my diagnosis was sinus arrythmia or something like that. I recenly lost a few pounds and this seemed to trigger it or perhaps I just think it did. I also noticed that this occurs when I get an infection (ear) in my body or when I am about to come down with a cold or some illness. I guess fighting germs could be considered "stress". I don't feel bad or good necessarily when this happens, but now that the holidays are here, I may be more aware of the problem. I have never had any chest pain, or other symptoms that would otherwise make me fear anything, since they more or less come and go without any specific reason. I did read about the magnesium issue and have began supplements in case I am lacking in the that vitamin. I do feel a bit of fatigue when experiencing these, or maybe when I get tired I am more aware of them. I went to the ER years ago because I had some panic attacks that caused my heart to race and I did the fast breathing, nausea and general feeling of fear, doom, etc. I think it is particularly interesting that these PAC, PVC 's are related to an electrical part of the heart. On the whole, I try not to think about these missed beats. The way I describe them is my heart feels like a frog trying to leap out of a jar, or my heart stumbled while it was walking. It is comforting to know I am not the only one and will continue to read posts regarding this phenomena until I am again employed and have health insurance.
    Thanks to all for your input.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
    Kia3238
    Inactive
    (female)

Kia3238 HB User

PVC's often feel like a flip-flop or missed beat in your chest. I'm done taking medication because it has done nothing for me. I have been taking Co-enzyme Q10 pills, 150mg and it acutally works for me. I will still feel the PAC's & PVC's occasionally but the number I feel per day has dropped significantly since I've started taking the Co Q10.

Last edited by Kia3238; 04-21-2004 at 12:51 PM.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:01 PM   #10
    kimma5202

kimma5202 HB User
    Smile Re: PAC's & PVC's

Quote:
    Originally Posted by projapoti
    Sorry...PVCs I said CAN be deadly....not in your case. Usually they're deadly when you're old and you're having them in combination with having ischemic heart disease. 1btg mentioned vtach (i.e. ventricular tachycardia) which is basically a run of PVCs as one's primary heart rhythm. It's deadly 'cause it can eventually lead to ventricular fibrillation and then death because of lack of blood flow to the brain. I'm assuming you're young, so PVCs and PABs aren't really anything to get worked up over unless you're having other types of symptoms like repeated fainting spells, or periods of confusion and stuff.

You mentioned that you were taking atenolol "for the symptoms". What do you mean by this? Did the doctors prescribe this for you? Beta-blockers are very dangerous drugs if not used properly.
    no pvc's alone are NEVER deadly even NSVT isnt deadly ( a short run of pvcs). ventricular tachycardia can be deadly if it progresses into ventricular fibrillation. ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation are both caused by pathways (not PVC;s) the pathways are usually formed during a heart attack or heart failure from scar tissue. there is a large study done by one of the big credible universities(ill look for it on the net and post it)of people with healthy hearts but had constant pvc's, bigeminy etc and people without any pvc's on a 24hr holter monitor also with a healthy heart were watched for many years, there was absolutely no icreased risk of mortality caused by the pvc's, there was actually more but a nonsignificant amount of people with no pvc's that died in this study.
    ive been told that atenolol is a very safe drug only time it can be deadly is if u stop abrubtly which is still rare more than likely you will just be stuck with sinus tachy for a few days.
    atenolol doesnt work for my pvc's it makes them worse, i do take it on an as needed basis though if my sinus tachy is bothering me.
    kim

Old 04-22-2004, 10:43 PM   #11
    BabyCatcher

BabyCatcher HB User

I agree with the PVC stuff not being deadly...I, too, have had 3-4 in a row and still alive to tell about it. Yes, it feels funny, but I'm no worse for wear.

Continuous PVC's CAN become VTach, which needs cardioversion, but there is usually something else going on there for it to go that far.

I also agree with the previous poster about beta-blockers for the PVCs. They do very well in knocking out the PVC's. I've only been on one for a week, and I already notice a great improvement (I have a prolapsed mitral valve as well as a prolapsed pulmonic valve). However, they should be prescribed with caution. For what reason did your dr prescribe them?

Old 04-25-2004, 06:55 PM   #12
    pms_barbie

pms_barbie HB User

I have pacs and pvc's both. I dont notice the pac's but I sure do the pvc's. Mainly because my pvc's occur in bigeminal cycles. I have had an echo done a heart cath. Ep study and ablation for svt. Blood work up . I have mvp with only mild leakage. I have been on Tambocore which helped at first then it made matters worse. I was on Sotalol which made me bradycardic. I was on Tikosyn which I should have never been put on.(its for afib). My holter report said I had 972 pvc and 300 pac. During my ep study they couldnt induce vtach. My holter said I had a 3 beat and a 4 beat run of it. He ablated a place throwing off pvc's but couldnt find the spot causing the bigeminy. Anyone else here experience bigeminy?

Closed Thread