It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Heart skips and thumps?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
    peaches31
    (female)

peaches31 HB User
    Heart skips and thumps?

Hi everyone,

For about 5 months now I've had heart flutters, almost like a pause in heartbeats... i was so scared that i ended up at the er and they did an echo and blood tests, everything came back as fine and doctor said they were PVC
    's and not to worry about them, that stress or not getting enough sleep can cause them. Well my life is always stressful so I'm not sure if this is the cause. I don't drink caffeine although my diet is dreadful.

Sometimes I can get alot of them throughout a day and other days aren't too bad, they do drive me crazy though.... they scare me.... sometimes they are awful after I eat of if i get indigestion (I take a PPI and i'm also on celexa)

Just wanted a little advice, or reassurance that there isn't really a 'heart problem' My heart rate is always normal and it doesn't race when I have them and my blood pressure is always around 110 over 70

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
    tigerlilyx61
    (female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User
    Re: Heart skips and thumps?

Hi Peaches. Do you mind me asking you how old you are? I get PVC's also. They started at 41-42 for me. I have been told that hormones can cause them...they blame everything on hormones LOL. They also told me the same thing they told you..caffeine and stress. I don't drink that much coffee but I cut down and they continued so I really don't think it was that. Actually I do tend to buy into the hormone thing as they have got better over the years...I am now 46. As far as them not being dangerous I don't think that's true...not to worry you or anything. I'm in nursing school and we just covered heart rhythms and ventricular arrhythmias are much more concerning than any others. I would say if you start getting 6 or more an hour you need to see a doctor again.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
    hopesprings2
    Inactive
    (female)

hopesprings2 HB User

alot of medications cause this

Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
    Momof2sons
    Veteran
    (female)

Momof2sons HB User

peaches,

For 6 years I have suffered these sproatic episodes with my heart rate where I could feel it slow down, I'd get dizzy, turn white and I would put my head between my legs to prevent passing out and sort of breath through it. I didnt know if I was going to throw up, passout or poop!

So in 2001 I went to a cardiologist, and they did a stress test, which proved to be normal. Then as the years went by and they became more frequent, but still unpredictably sproatic. In 2003 I had these "spells" as I called them and at times my face and head would go numb, which scared the life out of me because My grandmother suffered from TIA's (minny strokes) for years, so once again I went to a cardiologist, and he ordered a total workup including MRA's on my brain, and caradid arteries, stress test, echocardiogram and EEG. And once again all "normal"! Well I decided at that point everything "must" be fine.

Well in December this past year I was in the hospital following a surgery on my lung, so because of the surgery, they had me on heart monitor, and FINALLY it happened while I was being monitored! It was the SAME thing that has been happening for years, but NEVER while I was being tested.
    The nurse came running in my room, and asked if I was ok, I said Yes, I just got dizzy(it was actually a minor spell than I normaly have) and she said Your HEART STOPPED!..I said NO, I just got DIZZY, she said , YOUR HEART STOPPED TWICE! Well within 5 minutes I had 8 cardiologists and residents in my room talking PACEMAKER! Well given the fact Im laying there with chest tubes in a 10 incision on my back, and feeling like crud, I looked at them and said this has been happening for years, and just leave me ALONE.

Long story short, it turned out my heart had two long pauses 5 seconds each, which from what I know now, thats a LONG time for it to pause. Pluse had "bradycardia" which is a low blood pressure. They agreed to let me wait and heal from my surgery BUT they had me connected to a defibulater, and a vial of epenephrine in my room while I was in there, but stressed the fact I NEEDED to come back and be evaluated to determine what type of pacemaker I would need.

Anyway, after coming home from the hospital, I had 2 MORE spells, so I did call the cardiologist and he had me wear a "event monitor". The plan was to have me wear it for 20 days, BUT I ended up with "tape blisters" from the electrode pads you have to wear, so at day 14 and of course NO EVENTS happened in that time, he has desided that we need to implant a "loop recorder" which will monitor my heart 24/7 and I can have it for up to a year, so we will definetly catch it when it happens again under "normal circumstances( happen when my body isnt under the stress of surgery) so he will know just what kind of pacemaker I will need. What is going on with me is called "Sinus node dysfunction". Its not a defect in the actual structure of the heart, thats why it cant be detected with echocardiogram or EEG/EKG UNLESS it happens when they are monitoring your heart at the time. Its a defect in the CELLS of the sinus node itself which is your hearts own "natural pacemaker".

It's not uncommon to NOT detect something wrong with your heart unless it happenes DURING testing. Thats the problem with detecting something that is sproatic. My blood pressure is always normal when I go to the Doctor as well.

The type of Doctor I see is a "Electrophysiologist" its a cardiologist who specializes in heart rythum itself.
    Im not trying to imply that this is what is happening to you, my point is perhaps you wearing an "event monitor" for awhile, not just 24 hour holter monitor would indeed catch an "event", and then the Doctors can rule IN or rule OUT wether its a heart issue or not. As Im sure you know, when it comes to your heart you need to be sure.

Never did I imagine that my heart was actualy STOPPING, when I would get dizzy. BUT I KNEW something was wrong with my heart for years, unfortuantly It never would happen while being tested, AND I believe had I had the Doctor I have now, I think he would have been more persistant in looking for the answer way back then. Who knows?

Anyway, Im having the "loop recorder" implanted this Monday, and as soon as an "event" is recorded, we can then go ahead with the pacemaker. By the way, as I said this has been going on since around 2001 and Im now only 43, Im not sure how old you are but, I think SOME Doctors tend to "disreguard" your complants IF your not older and your a WOMAN! Just my opinion of course.

I'm by no means am trying to scare you with my story, BUT IF you KNOW something is wrong, then you should be pesistant in seeking the answers.
    I do wish you the best, and please let us know how you make out.

Take care, and GOd bless.
    Annette

Closed Thread