It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Asymptomatic skipped beats/extra beats

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
    guitarplayer
    (male)

guitarplayer HB User
    Asymptomatic skipped beats/extra beats

Well, for the past two years I've been having sensations of skipped heartbeats or sometimes an extra beat closely following a normal beat followed by a pause. Occasionally (rarely) there will be more than one extra beat, so like three really fast beats then a pause.

Anyway, usually I don't notice the problem at all unless I'm purposely feeling my pulse, but sometimes out of nowhere I'll get that fluttering feeling which is quite startling.

Recently I went to the ER because of a panic attack which felt like a heart attack. On the ambulance they did a 3 lead EKG and it caught some of these skipped beats, though the paramedic did not seem too concerned, if he noticed them. I was too freaked out and disoriented to worry about asking any questions. Also my heartrate was up to about 150 presumably due to the panic/anxiety.

At the hospital they did a 12 lead EKG and a whole battery of other tests which showed nothing abnormal.

Given all this and the fact that I don't have chestpain, have never fainted, and I don't believe I have any family history of sudden cardiac death or anything like that, is it likely that this is nothing to worry about? I am currently on medication for my anxiety but still have these sensations. Since I'm a college student and already up to my eyeballs in bills from the recent hospital visit, I can't really afford any more test right now, like a holter monitor. Actually I have read that as much as half the population has occasional skipped/extra heartbeats which gives me some peace of mind, but what exactly is "occasional". For me they seem to come about 3 times a minute on average, sometimes more though. Anyway I'll stop rambling now, worrying about it is certainly not helping anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User
    Re: Asymptomatic skipped beats/extra beats

If your asymptomatic then there is nothing to worrry about. People walk around day to day with upwards of 10,000 extra beats. It is nothing to panic or worry about since you are asymptomatic, and i am sure a cardiologist would tell you the same.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
    hopesprings2
    Inactive
    (female)

hopesprings2 HB User

be careful labeling your self with panic
    i was suppose to have that and it was my heart making me panic
    not panic first

Old 08-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
    piauserid
    (female)

piauserid HB User
    Wink Re: Asymptomatic skipped beats/extra beats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guitarplayer View Post
    Well, for the past two years I've been having sensations of skipped heartbeats or sometimes an extra beat closely following a normal beat followed by a pause. Occasionally (rarely) there will be more than one extra beat, so like three really fast beats then a pause.

Anyway, usually I don't notice the problem at all unless I'm purposely feeling my pulse, but sometimes out of nowhere I'll get that fluttering feeling which is quite startling.

Recently I went to the ER because of a panic attack which felt like a heart attack. On the ambulance they did a 3 lead EKG and it caught some of these skipped beats, though the paramedic did not seem too concerned, if he noticed them. I was too freaked out and disoriented to worry about asking any questions. Also my heartrate was up to about 150 presumably due to the panic/anxiety.

At the hospital they did a 12 lead EKG and a whole battery of other tests which showed nothing abnormal.

Given all this and the fact that I don't have chestpain, have never fainted, and I don't believe I have any family history of sudden cardiac death or anything like that, is it likely that this is nothing to worry about? I am currently on medication for my anxiety but still have these sensations. Since I'm a college student and already up to my eyeballs in bills from the recent hospital visit, I can't really afford any more test right now, like a holter monitor. Actually I have read that as much as half the population has occasional skipped/extra heartbeats which gives me some peace of mind, but what exactly is "occasional". For me they seem to come about 3 times a minute on average, sometimes more though. Anyway I'll stop rambling now, worrying about it is certainly not helping anything.
    My son has a similar problem, if not the same. He went to a cardiologist and was told that he had a bicuspid-valve instead of a tricuspid-valve. No problem in that fact, but his life style was causing fluid around the heart. He was told to cut down on the caffeine, get better more regular sleep(he works third shift), and eat healthy. The fluid around the heart(usually caused by an infection) can cause the irregular beat and panicky feeling, also pain. The better lifestyle keeps the fluid away and the symptoms at bay. When he gets sick he is prone to the fluid, but knowing why helps the panic. He was told that his life should be normal and the bicuspid valve thing is not rare. A person can be born with the bi-valve and a tri-valve can even change into a bi-valve during a lifetime.
    pia

Old 08-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
    dianesc67
    (female)

dianesc67 HB User

I started getting those when I was your age...went for tests as you did, and they found nothing..They would come and go as I got older, now 41...I get them even worse, probably up to 15 per minute, but I dont worry, because I dont have any other symptoms...its aggrivating to say the least, but my cardiologist told me they are pvc's and dont cause any dammage to my heart, although annoying and even scary sometimes. They also had thought I might have a heart murmur, which an echo showed no sign of...I am also familiar with panic attacks, I have had my share, and my heart rate would get up very high, to high to count...but Dr. gave me xanax and I dont leave home without it...a panic attack can come anytime...I suggest lay off the caffeine, chocolate and stay on the anti-anxiety med...it takes a while to work..and see your doc for the tests whenever you can, just for peace of mind...Good luck and try not to worry...ps. if you find your self getting a lot, sometimes walking around for a little while helps me.

Last edited by dianesc67; 08-19-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added info

Old 08-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I have had that for years and was very concerned because my dad died of a heart attack at 46. I too had gone to ER in a panic some years back. Sometimes in addition to the symptoms you describe, I felt like my heart was coming up my throat. It would pound very hard and sometimes it would be very slow. Othertimes it would skip beats and then race. My heart rate would change from 44 bpm at rest to 144 beats and I was too aware of every beat. I was diagnosed with atrial tachycardia and some arthmythias. It is just like a little extra electrical impulse. Not a danger. I take dioxgin now and limit myself to one cup of coffee in the morning and no sodas at all. The panic attacks are almost nonexistant. I think for me, half the problem was the fear of having a panic attack which of course I thought I was dying. I did what my mom suggested. In the middle of a panic attack, I said ok, I am dying, take me now. It stopped...lol

Closed Thread