It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Heart Disorders Message Board

  • Leaky heart valve or ???

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
    mcdougalls
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    mcdougalls's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Elma, WA united states
    Posts: 1
    mcdougalls HB User
    Leaky heart valve or ???

    Hi there,
    Have had very odd symptoms the last few months. Started suddenly with an abrupt increase in blood pressure, I can't talk very well when this happens, get extremely light headed, it because difficult to talk and I have problems answering questions and lose gaps of time. Then my blood pressure drops back down and all is fine for weeks. This has happened so far 4 times. Working for a hospital employee health has sent me down to E.R.
    Had echocardiogram showing a minor leaking heart valve. E.K.G. is slightly abnormal. Treadmill went not too well. After 5 minutes I was pulled off because my B.P. went from 115/75 to 197/110. Took a while for it to settle down. Now I am being sent for a Myocardial Perfusion stress test.
    Other problems is I used to climb stairs at our hospital nearly daily to the 12th floor with ease. Suddenly I can't get past 3. Get out of breath and have to rest. I have nearly constant squeezing sensation in my chest, but I think maybe that is chest wall and not cardiac. This sensation now is radiating into the back of my throat. I get palpatations, tingingly in my fingers and at times severe pain in my left arm in the bicep area. Occasionally nausea. Average b.p. is 120/75.
    I neurologist suggested it is a type of migraine that manifests without headache. An E.E.G. is to be schedule.
    I am 45, 132lb woman, eat a mostly healthy diet. Until this started rarely or never got sick except for migraine headaches. An M.R.I. of my brain looks good. I really want to become a boring patient again.
    The only other odd thing is we recently took a trip to a local mountain. At 5400 feet all symptoms disapeared and I felt fantastic. It all came back around 3400 feet.
    I am on verapamil currenlty for the migraine headaches.
    My doctors have admitted I am a mystery. any ideas?

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
    WATCHOUT!
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    WATCHOUT!'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Posts: 201
    WATCHOUT! HB User
    Re: Leaky heart valve or ???

    I DO have a leaky valve, mitral valve regurgitation, but I don't have high blood pressure. I do though have a thyroid condition ..for me my thyroid bothers me badly and it effects the heart as well. Check your thyroid as it can aggravate even the smallest of medical problems. I get all kinds of weird pain, pain in my throat, headaches, confusion, memory loss, chest pains, anxiety, my left arm goes numb and tingles, stabbing chest pains, I get lightheaded, severely dizzy, overly cold, night sweats, feeling like I can't breathe...just some of my symptoms...pretty sad..I have lived this way for years...for me I had to cut out iodine (I have hyperthyroid so I have too much iodine, Underactive thyroid where one gains weight-you would need iodine), I eat a low-sodium diet which I strongly recommend to you, I eat no processed foods, don't eat out much at all as a lot of things have too much salt. I don't drink pop, anything with caffeine etc. anything that has loads of sugar, or salt avoid as well. The bloodpressure will respond favorably to this kind of diet even if you still need to take meds. Just some thoughts...I am 36, and a female and I have lived successfully with this restricted diet, though I also respond well to daily exercise and that helps. You need to be your own advocate and demand every test you think will find out what you have so you can get better. I am a strong believer in this forum as well as being your own Doctor is in my opinion the first step to good health! Good Luck and God Bless!

     
    Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
    dpsbar3
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    dpsbar3's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: San Benito, TX. USA
    Posts: 4
    dpsbar3 HB User
    Re: Leaky heart valve or ???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WATCHOUT! View Post
    I DO have a leaky valve, mitral valve regurgitation, but I don't have high blood pressure. I do though have a thyroid condition ..for me my thyroid bothers me badly and it effects the heart as well. Check your thyroid as it can aggravate even the smallest of medical problems. I get all kinds of weird pain, pain in my throat, headaches, confusion, memory loss, chest pains, anxiety, my left arm goes numb and tingles, stabbing chest pains, I get lightheaded, severely dizzy, overly cold, night sweats, feeling like I can't breathe...just some of my symptoms...pretty sad..I have lived this way for years...for me I had to cut out iodine (I have hyperthyroid so I have too much iodine, Underactive thyroid where one gains weight-you would need iodine), I eat a low-sodium diet which I strongly recommend to you, I eat no processed foods, don't eat out much at all as a lot of things have too much salt. I don't drink pop, anything with caffeine etc. anything that has loads of sugar, or salt avoid as well. The bloodpressure will respond favorably to this kind of diet even if you still need to take meds. Just some thoughts...I am 36, and a female and I have lived successfully with this restricted diet, though I also respond well to daily exercise and that helps. You need to be your own advocate and demand every test you think will find out what you have so you can get better. I am a strong believer in this forum as well as being your own Doctor is in my opinion the first step to good health! Good Luck and God Bless!
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I found out I had a leaky valve when I was 36 also. The mitral valve also. I found out that this happens to alot of women at this age. It is called broken heart... I had my valve replaced in 2006 with a lot of success. My diet went back to normal. At the time of my valve replacement I also had a pacemaker/defibbulator installed. Due to my heart was so weak. Feeling normal hasent happened yet. In June of this year my pacemaker/defibbulator (ICD) was upgraded to a 3 lead. They were hoping to help my heart and to take off some of the stress. In June I also found out I have another leaky valve. I am unable to do anything. I cant do normal household duties. I cant bend over cause of the lack of blood flow I nearly passout. But one good thing, my Doc decided to get me on the transplant list. So possibly I can have a better quality of life. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Pam

     
    Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
    mcdougalls
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    mcdougalls's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Elma, WA united states
    Posts: 1
    mcdougalls HB User
    Re: Leaky heart valve or ???

    HI there everyone,

    Had the Myocardio Perfusion Stress Test yesterday. I wasn't allowed on the treadmill due to what happened the last time. They did a chemical simualation. The EKG was not normal, though I was told it could be because of the chemical they are using for the test. They will let me know Monday I hope.
    I almost never use salt, actually starting giving that up when my husband developed high blood pressure years ago. Switched to decaf along time ago and never drink soda, prefering to drink my favorit drink water or milk.
    Felt funny all day after the test. Really hyper, not normal for me. My co-worker went to my favorit Smoothie Bar that only uses fresh fruit and picked up one iwth extra vitamines in it. Felt better after that.
    My big thing is how easy I get tired. Maybe I shouldn't have gone back to work after the test, but me being me, I did. Came home exhausted.
    Will let everyone know how the test comes back.
    thanks for all the comments and ideas.

     
    Old 10-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    harka's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 991
    harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
    Re: Leaky heart valve or ???

    dbspar3...sorry to hear about all the trouble you've been having, but what you have is totally different than what other people are describing in this thread. Many young women have something called mitral valve prolapse or MVP which essentially when the mitral valve of the heart is somewhat "pushed out" in to the wrong position and as a result the valve becomes leaky. This is generally a benign condition and doesn't lead to problems with the heart.

    You had mitral regurgitation, yes, but it was due to another mechanism than what the ladies in this thread are describing. Your mitral regurgitation may have come from a childhood illness like rheumatic fever which results in damage to the heart where there is a very significant amount of regurgitation which eventually puts so much stress on the heart that it begins to fail.

    I'm not sure why you had mitral regurgitation, but because I know you have heart failure, you likely had it for a VERY long time. Did you have rheumatic fever as a child?

    Another possibility is that you had some other type of disease which severely damaged the muscle in your heart causing something called "dilated cardiomyopathy" which results in a heart that is very enlarged and not able to pump very effectively. When the heart becomes enlarged, it stretches the mitral valve and results in mitral regurgitation.

    Unless you had a cardiac arrest and survived from it, you don't have the "broken heart" syndrome. Broken heart syndrome is a rare entity sometimes called Takatsubo's cardiomyopathy where there is a very severe emotional event that results in an outpouring of adrenaline which can then be toxic to the heart and cause it to enlarge considerably and not pump as effectively. You sound like you had long-standing mitral regurgitation from a faulty valve resulting in dilated cardiomyopathy and then heart failure.

    The reason I know you have heart failure is because you mention you have a pacemaker/difibrillator. In the absence of a primary electrophysiologic condition in the heart such as Brugada syndrome, a pacemaker/defibrillator is only inserted in a person whose heart pump fraction is <30%.

    Have they told you whether they believe your heart failure is reversible?

    Last edited by harka; 10-11-2008 at 03:20 PM.

     
    Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    harka's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 991
    harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
    Re: Leaky heart valve or ???

    I think it's a great idea the doctors are checking out your heart with these episodes of lightheadedness. When those happen, do you get the sense of your heart wanting to beat out of your chest? (Palpitations) Sometimes rhythm disturbances in the heart can result in poor blood flow to the brain which could be an explanation to your symptoms. Did they do a Holter monitor on you?

    Also, in young women like yourself, abrupt changes in blood pressure are usually not from a heart source. You have to look in to other organs of the body most notably your kidneys and/or adrenal glands. There is a condition known as fibromuscular dysplasia where smooth muscle in the body hyperproliferates, and when this happens in blood vessels, the lumen (i.e. the space inside) the blood vessel can narrow. If this happens in the blood vessels travelling to the kidney, it feels like it is not getting enough blood so it will start to secrete substances which will raise your overall blood pressure. FMD affecting the renal vessels can be treated with balloon angioplasty.

    Another couple of causes of occasional hypertension in young women are:
    A pheochromocytoma
    Cushing's disease
    Conn's disease

    These conditions arise from abnormal enlargements of areas of the adrenal glands which result in the secretion of excessive hormones which raise the blood pressure. In the case of pheochromocytoma, the abnormal adrenal gland will bust out bursts of adrenaline and adrenaline-like substances which will give short spells of facial flushing, sweating, fast heart rate and high blood pressure, and then it goes away.

    Cushing's disease results in excessive production of cortisol which has wide ranging effects including weight gain, acne, abnormal growth of hair, diabetes, osteoporosis and high blood pressure. The high blood pressure in this group tends to be constant rather than intermittent. The same goes for Conn's disease which is an adrenal tumour (NOT cancerous) which secretes aldosterone resulting in a constant (as opposed to intermittent) hypertension as well as some other symptoms.

     
    Old 10-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
    dpsbar3
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    dpsbar3's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: San Benito, TX. USA
    Posts: 4
    dpsbar3 HB User
    Re: Leaky heart valve or ???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgranulomatis View Post
    dbspar3...sorry to hear about all the trouble you've been having, but what you have is totally different than what other people are describing in this thread. Many young women have something called mitral valve prolapse or MVP which essentially when the mitral valve of the heart is somewhat "pushed out" in to the wrong position and as a result the valve becomes leaky. This is generally a benign condition and doesn't lead to problems with the heart.

    You had mitral regurgitation, yes, but it was due to another mechanism than what the ladies in this thread are describing. Your mitral regurgitation may have come from a childhood illness like rheumatic fever which results in damage to the heart where there is a very significant amount of regurgitation which eventually puts so much stress on the heart that it begins to fail.

    I'm not sure why you had mitral regurgitation, but because I know you have heart failure, you likely had it for a VERY long time. Did you have rheumatic fever as a child?

    Another possibility is that you had some other type of disease which severely damaged the muscle in your heart causing something called "dilated cardiomyopathy" which results in a heart that is very enlarged and not able to pump very effectively. When the heart becomes enlarged, it stretches the mitral valve and results in mitral regurgitation.

    Unless you had a cardiac arrest and survived from it, you don't have the "broken heart" syndrome. Broken heart syndrome is a rare entity sometimes called Takatsubo's cardiomyopathy where there is a very severe emotional event that results in an outpouring of adrenaline which can then be toxic to the heart and cause it to enlarge considerably and not pump as effectively. You sound like you had long-standing mitral regurgitation from a faulty valve resulting in dilated cardiomyopathy and then heart failure.

    The reason I know you have heart failure is because you mention you have a pacemaker/difibrillator. In the absence of a primary electrophysiologic condition in the heart such as Brugada syndrome, a pacemaker/defibrillator is only inserted in a person whose heart pump fraction is <30%.

    Have they told you whether they believe your heart failure is reversible?
    cgranulomatis... you are correct I do have dilated cardiomyopathy. And no it is not revirsable. I was never told by my parents that I had rheumatic fever as a child. You sure sound like a doctor cause you know a lot about all of this stuff.

     
    Old 10-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    harka's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 991
    harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
    Re: Leaky heart valve or ???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpsbar3 View Post
    cgranulomatis... you are correct I do have dilated cardiomyopathy. And no it is not revirsable. I was never told by my parents that I had rheumatic fever as a child. You sure sound like a doctor cause you know a lot about all of this stuff.
    So for your dilated cardiomyopathy I take it you are on a number of different heart medications? ACE inhibitor? Beta-blocker?

    Rheumatic fever is a sequela of having a throat infection with a group of bacteria called the Group A Streptococcus (GAS) or the full name "Streptococcus pyogenes". You may have heard the term "Strep throat'. Streptococcus is a normal part of skin and mouth flora, and it isn't a problem unless it becomes invasive and causes inflammation of the underlying tissue. Now, there are many groups of streptococcus (A, B, C, D, E, F, pneumoniae, Viridans, Milleri etc.) but GAS has the ability to cause an immune phenomenon in people who are infected with it, but aren't treated.

    When your immune system begins to make antibodies against the GAS bacteria, they start to attack everything that has a similar "tag", if you will. It just so happens that the human heart valves (especially the mitral and aortic valves) have tags which are similar to the GAS bacteria, which results in your immune system damaging the heart valves which can lead to mitral/aortic regurgitation or stenosis (narrowing). The only reason doctors treat Strep throat with antibiotics is not to cure the infection (the immune system can handle that by itself) it is to prevent the post-infective immune phenomena that I explained above. It is possible dpsbar that you had Strep throat as a child which was never caught, and you developed Rheumatic fever and thus had damage to your heart valves. The reason I say that is that mitral valve disease is unusual in people of your age group except in cases of mitral valve prolapse or previous rheumatic fever.

     
    Old 10-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
    dpsbar3
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    dpsbar3's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: San Benito, TX. USA
    Posts: 4
    dpsbar3 HB User
    Re: Leaky heart valve or ???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgranulomatis View Post
    So for your dilated cardiomyopathy I take it you are on a number of different heart medications? ACE inhibitor? Beta-blocker?

    Rheumatic fever is a sequela of having a throat infection with a group of bacteria called the Group A Streptococcus (GAS) or the full name "Streptococcus pyogenes". You may have heard the term "Strep throat'. Streptococcus is a normal part of skin and mouth flora, and it isn't a problem unless it becomes invasive and causes inflammation of the underlying tissue. Now, there are many groups of streptococcus (A, B, C, D, E, F, pneumoniae, Viridans, Milleri etc.) but GAS has the ability to cause an immune phenomenon in people who are infected with it, but aren't treated.

    When your immune system begins to make antibodies against the GAS bacteria, they start to attack everything that has a similar "tag", if you will. It just so happens that the human heart valves (especially the mitral and aortic valves) have tags which are similar to the GAS bacteria, which results in your immune system damaging the heart valves which can lead to mitral/aortic regurgitation or stenosis (narrowing). The only reason doctors treat Strep throat with antibiotics is not to cure the infection (the immune system can handle that by itself) it is to prevent the post-infective immune phenomena that I explained above. It is possible dpsbar that you had Strep throat as a child which was never caught, and you developed Rheumatic fever and thus had damage to your heart valves. The reason I say that is that mitral valve disease is unusual in people of your age group except in cases of mitral valve prolapse or previous rheumatic fever.
    ACE inhibitor yes, Beta-blocker yes, among about 6 different other meds. You know I do recall being told that I had phnamonia when I was 18 months old...now that could have been it or one of the many other times I had strep. Thanks so much for the info.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Leaky mitral valve? Wantok Heart Disorders 5 08-07-2009 05:54 PM
    Leaky heart valve? hazeleyes90 Heart Disorders 4 10-25-2008 12:22 PM
    exercise for a person with leaky heart valve car01yn Heart Disorders 12 10-16-2007 04:38 AM
    Leaky Valve jojotigerlily Heart Disorders 10 03-23-2007 09:00 AM
    "Leaky valve" questions Sister Heart Disorders 2 04-28-2006 01:20 AM
    Are leaky valves anything to worry about? KellyDL Heart Disorders 7 09-30-2005 02:44 PM
    leaky valves Aprilrain Heart Disorders 4 03-04-2005 03:36 PM
    stroke/seizure+leaky valve=blood clot? gotojail Stroke 0 08-01-2001 03:01 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 PM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!