It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Protein Uria And High Blood Pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
    suk
    (female)

suk HB User
    Protein Uria And High Blood Pressure

my husband is 38 years old and he has high blood pressure. Two years back our health care provider sent him for 24 hr urine test . He observed protein in urine and sent him to nephrologist. From last one year he is going to nephrologist, every month he is doing 24 hr urine test and other blood tests and ultra sound for kidneys. First he has given medication to reduce blood pressure. Now he has given ACE inhibators.

I am very much worried how long has to be on medication. IS it serious problem for his health? Please suggest me some healthy tips to imporve his health.

thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
    hopesprings2
    Inactive
    (female)

hopesprings2 HB User
    Re: Protein Uria And High Blood Pressure

he may always have to take it
    ask the doctor and see

Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
    Re: Protein Uria And High Blood Pressure

Hi Suk,

A lot of people say the same thing when they are put on medications--they are concerned about the effects of the medication and being on it for a long time. I don't totally blame them for thinking this, but in your husband's case the alternative is not very good. Having high blood pressure for a long time ends up causing damage to many organs and one of them is the kidneys. This manifests as protein in the urine, and the part that is concerning is how it is a vicious circle. As the hypertension affects the kidney it gets damaged and you start to pee out protein, but the protein itself also damages the kidney. So the more damage, the more protein in the urine, and the more the protein damages the kidney. To minimize the proteinuria is paramount as is the control of the blood pressure (or any other insult to the kidney). Your husband is 38 now, and you don't want him to be on dialysis when he's 50. Dialysis is probably the worst thing for a young person. You have to be a the hospital a minimum of 5 hours, three times a week. There is no freedom in your life with that.

Closed Thread