It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Side effects from Atenolol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
    sunny3
    (female)

sunny3 HB User
    Side effects from Atenolol

Hi to all,

I've been reading here and maybe someone would be kind enough to take the time to offer me any advice from their personal experiences.

Due to a rapid heartbeat, my doc has started me on 25 mgs of Atenolol. After 2 doses, I was dizzy and nauseous. I asked him if I could reduce it and he said I could. Well, I reduced it to 12.5 and now it is down to 6.25mgs . It does seem to reduce my heart rate somewhat , even on this lower dose, but I still have the side effects of dizziness and nausea. Can I hope that this miserable feeling will dissipate with time and maybe I will be able to increase the dose?

Has anyone found less side effects with any of the newer beta blockers? My pharmacist said they all have the same side effects, even Bystolic is not any better.

Thanks for reading and thinking about my question.

Hope you all have a pleasant day.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
    Jon P70
    (male)

Jon P70 HB User
    Re: Side effects from Atenolol

Sunny,

Yes what you described is common with Atenolol at least in my house any way. My wife also takes it. Our Dr has us take it at bed time. Since we started that we seem to sleep thru the worst of the side effects.

Ask your Dr before you change though.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
    sunny3
    (female)

sunny3 HB User
    Re: Side effects from Atenolol

Thanks, Jon, it is good to hear from you. I've already been taking it at bedtime. I started out taking it in the AM, then moved it to bedtime. I appreciate hearing that I am not alone in this misery of adjustment.

If anyone else has any other success stories, I'd be happy to know what worked for you too.

Again, Jon...thank you!

Sunny

Closed Thread