It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Adult ASD closure- Recovery from Open heart surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
    fiona366
    (female)

fiona366 HB User
    Question Adult ASD closure- Recovery from Open heart surgery

Im 36 and have been told that I need to have my ASD closed by open heart surgery (im not a candidate for keyhole, I have two holes close together and a thin wall betwwen them).

I am looking for any advice on recovery from the surgery especially from any one with small children, I have two under the age of three and Im feeling anxious about not being able to pick them up and how long before I can?

Im currently very active and I jog most days, Im asympamatic and Im hopeing this means a quicker recovery

Well any advice would be gratefully received

Fiona

The Following User Says Thank You to fiona366 For This Useful Post:
    kate502 (09-09-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
    repsolgirl81
    (female)

repsolgirl81 HB User
    Smile Re: Adult ASD closure- Recovery from Open heart surgery

Hi,
    I;m 27 and had a large ASD closed in MAy this year via open heart surgery. I can't help you on the kid side as i don't have any but i found i couldn't lift much for quite some time.

Lifting a kettle was not possible for at least a month. You have to be so careful, because they can't put you in a cast you have to be very self disciplined to sit back and admit you can't do certain things.
    Even getting out of bed is tricky as you mustn't put your weight on your arms.

Imagine swinging your arms in a circular motion, well i couldn't do that, it pulled way too much. It takes up to 12weeks for your sternum to fuse together and you don't want to risk it moving so please be careful. I was scared all the time of moving it but you just have to go easy. If in doubt, lift something with both arms so it doesn't pull one side. If it's too heavy, drop it.

I was gutted as my brother has 2 small children and i couldn't lift them, it simply isn't worth the risk.
    Cuddling is fine, maybe you could explain how important it is to your children? If they want their mummy to get better i'm sure they'd do everything to help.
    But 3 months after i was ok lifting my neices, and i got back on my motorbike too so it's not all bad.
    It's tough, you get tired really easily but you just have to remember, it's major surgery and however frustrating it is not being able to do stuff, it won't be forever.
    If ever you want to ask me anything, i'll be happy to help.
    My recovery has been trouble free luckily, i kept my wound clean always and the only exercise you're able to do is walking. But you have to build it up slowly. Now i can walk 3/4 miles no problem and i'm fine. I've started my sit-ups and weights so you will get back to normal i promise.
    Well i hope it all goes well, good luck and take care,
    All the best,
    Rach

Old 11-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
    fiona366
    (female)

fiona366 HB User
    Re: Adult ASD closure- Recovery from Open heart surgery

Hi Rach

thanks so much for all the info, I know its going to be hardgoing but its good to hear your doing well, how is your scar ? I know its fickle but a part of me is bummed about the scar but I guess once its there its there.

thanks

Fiona

Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
    repsolgirl81
    (female)

repsolgirl81 HB User

Hey Fiona,

No worries, you can always post any other questions.

Scar is ok, still a bit pink, not so red looking now but it still visable. It is quite sensitive to touch, i put on this oil called BIO OIL which is meant to help heal up scars, but you can only use it on unbroken skin so a few months after your op. Not sure if it;s working as it's still early days and you're maent to put it on 3 times a day but i only do it once as it's hard when your wearing clothes!!

But i think of it as if it wasn't for the scar, then i may not be here in ten years time. Luckily i have small boobs so it hasn't bothered my but i think bigger women may have a different experience. I haven't really worn a bra since my op (don't need to as not that large!!) but i only wear one when i have to, ie work. But it does irritate the bottom of my scar, but everyone is different, you might be ok.

Well, i wish you all the best, like i said, i'm happy to let you know of anything you wanna know, don't be shy i promise you.
    Take care,

Rach

Last edited by moderator2; 11-29-2008 at 06:32 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 02-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
    deb1988
    (female)

deb1988 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fiona366 View Post
    Hi Rach

thanks so much for all the info, I know its going to be hardgoing but its good to hear your doing well, how is your scar ? I know its fickle but a part of me is bummed about the scar but I guess once its there its there.

thanks

Fiona
    hi fiona ive just been lookin at what you have been talkin about and was wondering if you have had you heart op yet. im 20yrs old and had open heart surgery in june, i also have a child and was ment to getmy asd closed before having children but didnt work out that way. it was really dangerous having my daughter but got through labour with no problems until after and i was really struggling with breathing when walking up the stairs and pushing the pram. thats when i knew i had to get my op for the sake of my daughter. it was really scary with been so young and having a scar but truthfully my scar is tiny and my surgeon has done a really good job and kept it as small as possible. if you havent had your op yet i would be more than happy to answer any of your questions and tell you what it was like for me looking after my child

look forward to hearing from you x

Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
    fiona366
    (female)

fiona366 HB User

Hi Deb

thanks so much for responding its been really hard to find others that have kids!

My op is not until May so any advice you can give me especially about how you went with the little one, mine are 1 & 3 years old.

At the moment im asmystomatic so I dont really notice any problems but Im soo scared about the op I just want it to be done so I dont need to think about any more you know?

any way I would really appreciate any advice you can give and thanks again so much for responding

Fiona

Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
    mel8801
    (female)

mel8801 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Adult ASD closure- Recovery from Open heart surgery

Hi Fiona......I had my operation in April of 08 and I was really scared also. I have a friend that was on the heart transplant list at the same time as my operation so he became my insperation. I figured if he could go through a complete transplant with such a positive attitude I certainly could to. During the 3 months i had to wait for my operation I actually became the one to calm everyone else about it. Get all the info and brochures from your Dr or clinic. Mine even had a picture of what I would look like in recovery with all of the tubes. It is just the unknown that is worse than the actual operation. I was told not to lift anything havier than a gallon of milk and not to raise my arms over my head. I also could not drive for 3 months (because of the seat belts and air bags) in case of an accident. My poor hubby had to take me everywhere and you will have a lot of Dr;s appointments for the next few months afterward. My grand daughter was 1 1/2 years old at the time and I could not lift her. You will feel good enough to think that you can but it is a really bad idea to do so. Have lots of help when you get home because you will need it for a couple of weeks anyway, especailly get help with the kids. I felt good enough to go for short walks in just a couple of weeks and when I hit the 3 month mark I was back doing most of what I did before. They say you can have sex when you are able to walk 2 flights of stairs with no problem. Boy, my hubby was looking all over for a place that had stairs so I could practice haha. Take care and don't worry to much, it will be over before you know it. It has already been a year since my surgery and it dosen't seem like it.
    P.S. Sports or sleep bras are great for post surgery because they don't bind and have no wires.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
    fiona366
    (female)

fiona366 HB User

Hi Mel

well you made me laugh thats for sure!! I'll give my husband the news And thanks for you advice and hope. Your right it is always the unknown thats the most frightening I had checked out photos of the actual op and the hospital recovery and it certainly helped.

Did you have an ASD closure?

Im glad your doing well, this site has been a real inspiration to me because of people like your self

thanks again

Fiona

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
    mel8801
    (female)

mel8801 HB User

Good Morning Fiona.

I had my Mitral Valve repaired and at that time they discovered a small hole which they repaired and actually discovered a baseball size tumor (thynoma)
    behind my heart which was benign (than GOD) so they removed that and did all the rest at the same time. This site is great because people are so truthful about how different procedures effected them and so helpful with any questions you may have that it really puts your mind at ease and makes you realize that there are so many people out there that have their own problems it makes your own seem not so big, at least that is how it effects me when I read some of the posts. Good Luck with everything.

P.S. So sorry to hear about the devestating fires in Australia and my heart goes out to all of those involved. GodBless

Old 02-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
    deb1988
    (female)

deb1988 HB User

hi fiona

nice to hear from you again. i hope your not worried to much because that will put alot of stress on you but then again its easy to say. i was told for years i needed my operation but with me been young i was to scared and was told to have it done before thinking about starting a family (well it didnt go to plan) haha. i fell pregnant and was vey dangerous but had my daughter who is now 17 months with no problems. it was after when i started realising how much pressure was on my heart and new it was time for my operation. i could only push my daughter so far up a bank in her pushchair and started finding it hard to get up the stairs without getting out of breath. i was put at the top of the waiting list and was told to be prepared for a phone call and was asked to go in when they had a cancellation. this happened in march but i got sent home a day later because they said i wasnt strong enough to fight of any infection. i was so scared after that because thats when it hit me. im may a week after my 20th birthday i got the phone call sayin be at the hospital in the next two hours and it was all a big rush getting care for my daughter and i was put on a ward with people alot older me (i kept thinking i shouldnt be here) but then looked around and thought if these people can do it then so can i. the next morning i was told i was first on the list but it ended up i was last. by that time all i could think of was food haha i was so hungry. i went down for my operation and on the way down all i kept saying to myself was 'ill be ok when i wake up' bit sad really lol but it helped me. next thing i remember was waking up in intensive care (yes in a bit pain) as you can expect but you no you have done it and think the next thing will be seeing your kids. i had to sleep with a few pillows so i was sittin up as there was too much pressure on my back and chest. and whatever you dont put your weight on your arms. you will need alot of help with your kids as they are still young. my daughter was only 8 month when i had my op so she relied on me for everything and always wanted picking up, the good thing about you is that your kids will probablys understand that you can only give them cuddles and not carry them which is a good thing for you.
    well ill stop there because im gettin a bit carried away lol but just make sure you have plenty of people to help you after and dont to to much because you think you can. your body will no when you can do normal things not you. and remember if everyone else can do it then so can you and think of your children. that will get you through it.

hope everythings ok and try not to worry to much
    x

Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
    fiona366
    (female)

fiona366 HB User

Hi Rach

its me again just wondering did you have the zipper or the inscision that runs under the breasts?

I have been offered both and Im not sure what to do

thanks Fiona

Old 03-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
    repsolgirl81
    (female)

repsolgirl81 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Rach

its me again just wondering did you have the zipper or the inscision that runs under the breasts?

I have been offered both and Im not sure what to do

thanks Fiona
    Hi Fiona,

How are you? Hope things are ok for you?

I had the zipper, the other was spoken about but my surgeon said it was more difficult to do the operation, so i just went for the zipper for convenience for her to do the job in hand. I imagine having it done under the breasts would be more painful when recovering but that is my guess.

Depends if you have large breasts or not i imagine as i found wearing a bra irritated me with the zipper so i would;ve thought wearing one even after healing would be annoying?
    But i don't know......in fact luckily i have small boobs and i still rarely wear a bra now as i find it irritates my scar even now.......not badly but where the bra meets in the middle i find it rubs on my scar at times........so i don't bother most of the time........but is personal choice in the end.

Depends if you want a more noticeable scar...... mine is going down slowly, more prominent in places but my motto is i'd rather have a scar and a healthy life than high risk of a stroke which i was......all rides on how you look at it i suppose.........but every scar tells a story.....positive thinking is all you need

So you got a date yet? Hope things are ok and you are not too worried about anything?

Take care Fiona, spk soon maybe?

Rach x

Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
    fiona366
    (female)

fiona366 HB User

Hi Rach

sorry its taken me so long to reply we've been having problems with our PC. My date is the 7 May (4 weeks away) trying to stay calm but its the unkown thats the scariest. But Ive got a pretty positve attitude and Im lookin fwd to going for my runs and not struggling perhaps I'll do a marathon...lol!!

Ive decided to go with the zipper, Id hate for them to be in there and find some other problem and have to do the zipper anyway and appartently its quite painful to have it the other way.....strange concidering

Hey how long before you could look after your daughter with out help? My kids and I are going to stay with my mum & dad after the op, my husband owns a business so he cant take much time off.

Youve have been an absolute gem with your advise and encouragement and I just want you to know that I appreciate it

Fionaxx

Old 04-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
    repsolgirl81
    (female)

repsolgirl81 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Rach

sorry its taken me so long to reply we've been having problems with our PC. My date is the 7 May (4 weeks away) trying to stay calm but its the unkown thats the scariest. But Ive got a pretty positve attitude and Im lookin fwd to going for my runs and not struggling perhaps I'll do a marathon...lol!!

Ive decided to go with the zipper, Id hate for them to be in there and find some other problem and have to do the zipper anyway and appartently its quite painful to have it the other way.....strange concidering

Hey how long before you could look after your daughter with out help? My kids and I are going to stay with my mum & dad after the op, my husband owns a business so he cant take much time off.

Youve have been an absolute gem with your advise and encouragement and I just want you to know that I appreciate it

Fionaxx
    Hi Fiona,

Glad you have a date to work with at last! Well you sound really positive and have the right mindset so that's a great start!

So you're opting for the zipper.......that is the sensible option like you say if they end up doing it anyway.....mine is disappearing more and more as time goes by so in time you'll never notice it

I don't have any children, maybe you got mixed up with someone else.....so sorry i can't help on that one! But sounds like you have a lot of help at your parents, that will take the strain off you so you can get back to normality at your own pace. Don't forget it takes time and you have to be self discaplined with what you can do, my consultant said something that i remembered when i was recovering. She siad imagine you are in a cast for your sternum, that would stop you doing a lot of lifting and things you shouldn't be doing so i imagined/remembered that quite frequently which helped a lot. Ecen stupid things like a full kettle is heavy for your chest so BE CAREFUL! But i know you have a good head on your shoulder so you will be fine. Help is at hand and never be afraid/ashamed to ask for assistance.......)

You are very welcome with reference to answering your concerns. Anything else and i mean anything please don't hesitate to ask, i would love to be of any help if i can! And keep me posted if you have access to a pc at your parents house. But i know you will have more important things on your mind but i would love to know how you are when you feel ready to get on a pc.

So i wish you the very best for the whole thing, i wish you a speedy and problem free recovery. I know you will be fine,......take care and keep smiling and keep that positive attitude.....it will get you through it even when you have a down day!
    I will be thinking of you!
    Best wishes and a heartfelt hug (excuse the pun!! haha )
    Rach xxx

Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #15
    fiona366
    (female)

fiona366 HB User

Thanks Rach, sorry I got confused about the kids, now i remember they were your brothers kids!

Will definately let you know how I go (Mums got a PC) and Imagine Im going to have a bit of free time

hey did you have staples or glue? Ive been told glues the way to go.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-08-2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Closed Thread