It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• nervous about heart

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
    tryingtofindpeace
    (male)

tryingtofindpeace HB User
    nervous about heart

i was at the doctors yesterday to get an ekg because i have sinus arrhythmia. i was having some minor chest pressure every now and then nothing crazy that hurts or anything. i went to the doctor and got an ekg done which came out normal. my blood pressure was perfect he said and that i am really healthy. ever since i noticed the sinus arrythmmia it really has been scaring me. i havent been able to sleep at night much from being so scared. you guys think its just anxiety. i havent had any fainting or anythhing just liek that. just some mile pressure sometimes throughout the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
    jennnn
    (female)

jennnn HB User
    Re: nervous about heart

Hello there!! I just read hyour post and I wanted to just say that while it is a possibility to consider stress as what could be causing this problem for you, it is a good idea to rule out anything else as the culprit, so you're doing the right thing by having the ekg. I would recommend asking if you can bring home a holter monitor to wear to bed or lying down sinc eit seems like that is when you are experiencing this problem. I have to ask, if you are experiencing this while lying in bed, what are you thinking about as you try to drift to sleep? I catch myself obsessing over work or money or miscellaneous drama all the time and while it doesn't cause any cardiovascular effects on me personally, it is a common problem that people have. I would say, lay down with the holter monitor and think of all of the crap and stress that you have and just let it record. Also, daydream about what you would do if you won the lottery and how you would tell people and let it record that as well. I really think some people may want to shrug it off as stress, but I would like to see you bring a holter monitor home that way what is going on there can be recorded while its happening. Good luck and let me know what happens Jen

Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
    tryingtofindpeace
    (male)

i talked to him and asked about the holter monitor and he said the ekg came out normal bboth times yesterday and last wed. so there isnt anything to worry about. he said its just stress because i told him how i read online thta sometimes arrythmias mean heart disease but he said it was just a harmless sinus arythmmia and how all i could think about the past few days is that i might have it and got scared everytime i felt a slight chest pressure and how heart attacks would be in the back of my mind with everything i was doing. he said stress also causes some of the same symptoms and just try to relax. its really freaking me out especially at the age of 19.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Hi there,

Where did you get the term "sinus arrhythmia"? Did the doctor tell it to you or did you read it somewhere and are applying it to your situation? Or I guess the other possibility is if the doctor let you look at the ECG and the interpretation at the top of the ECG read "Sinus arrhythmia". In any case, sinus arrhythmia (SA) is a totally normal phenomenon which occurs because of the variations in nervous input to the heart with respirations. In certain people it is more pronounced than others, but some form of it is normal. If I were to ask that, AFTER you saw "SA" on the ECG, you've become a lot more aware of your heart beats, would I be correct?

Last edited by Administrator; 12-28-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
    tryingtofindpeace
    (male)

yes thats correct but the doctor to;ld me i have sinus arrythmia and my ekg came up normal. ive been having chest pressure ever since i noticed like i said up top about my heart rate. the doctor said i was fine so you think the mild pressure is from anxiety? its been keeping me from sleeping good at night and ruining my days thinking about heart problems now

Last edited by Administrator; 12-28-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
    tryingtofindpeace
    (male)

anyone some help?
    its been 8 nights since ive gotten a descent sleep.
    its killing me thinking about heart problems and the doctor saying my ekg was fine

Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
    kathy211
    (female)

kathy211 HB User

Definetly could be anxiety, try and trust in what your Dr. says, one thing about serious problems, they always get worse, they never just stay the same. So if it isn't getting worse, then stop worring. I know easier said than done. Good luck.
    Kathy

Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
    tryingtofindpeace
    (male)

update
    its been a couple weeks now since i got the last ekg and ive noticed my chest pains go away but i stil lget the occasional pressure here and there. my sleep has gotten somewhat better but this morning i woke up with a stuffy nose and once igot out of bed my nose started bleeding like crazy. for about half an hour. once it stopped i checked my blood pressure and it was still normal. everytime i go to clear my throat and hock up a nasty one there is some blood in it idk why. its scaring me and my nose stopped bleeding 2 hours ago. any ideas on whats up? its going to start stressing me out since i dont think im ok even though my ekg was normal. being 19 and thinking about this is killing me.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #9
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Do you see that it's not your heart killing you but anxiety? If you really objectively think about it, what are you scared of? You seem to be very scared of dying, which is ironic given that you're so young and healthy. You are also clearly very hypervigilant about your own symptoms, and you notice every little twinge of pain and discomfort you have.

You really need to talk to someone about this because it's going to get worse before it gets better, and it's clearly interfering with your life. Think back, there must have been a precipitating factor making you so nervous about your health. What do you think it was?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

..and I don't think you totally heard me when I explained sinus arrhythmia to you. Sinus arrhythmia is totally, 100% normal. It comes from very slight changes in the electrical pattern of your heart which are a result of breathing. I told you that, and you kinda brushed over it and continued to be anxious.

One thing that will prove to be very dangerous for you is when you ask for too many details from the doctors that see you. I have a feeling you are a very intelligent, analytical person as people who are as hypervigilant as you are, tend to have those attributes. The problem is, when the doctor gives you those details (like sinus arrhythmia) you have non-contextual knowledge and don't know how to interpret it. That results in more anxiety and it becomes a vicious circle.

Try to break the cycle by forcing yourself not to pay as close attention to your own symptoms and once your anxiety level drops, I'll bet you'll feel better.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The reason why robots will never make good doctors is because of the subtleties of clinical medicine.

You have read online that arrhythmias mean heart disease, and you are right; however, because of your non-contextual knowledge, you don't know that sinus arrhythmia is not really an arrhythmia at all. The term "arrhythmia" that you read online means something ToTALLY different that you have to get clinical experience to totally understand. Then you start thinking about chest pressure. Why? Because you have read online that arrhythmias mean heart disease and that heart disease also means heart attacks. Again, it shows you non-contextual knowledge. The heart disease which is suggested by a REAL arrhythmia is largely unrelated to heart attacks which are a result of coronary artery disease. Yes, with a very large heart attack you can get bad arrhythmias, but then you wouldn't be posting on this forum, you'd be in the Coronary Care Unit of a hospital.

Unless you are studying medicine, don't try to understand medical terms because for a person like you who doesn't have the context to fully grasp the implications of clinical information, all you'll do is continue to further your anxiety and lose sleep.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
    tryingtofindpeace
    (male)

ok thanks
    but yea i had a 3rd ekg done because my mom got scared of some things i said that scared her. 3rd ekg was normal again bp. oxygen and all all good. the doctor said that im in good health and that still it seems to be anxiety. alot of the chest pressure has diminished and will get in 3 or 4 times through the day for a few minutes and sometimes i get this pressure in my head that lasts for seconds when my mind isnt even on health problems. any idea what it can be so i can stop thinking about this and live my life normally.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Your mind is still on it. The fact that you can say how many times you're having chest pressure and "head pressure" means you are still thinking abot it. Every time these symptoms happen, you have to tell yourself they have nothing to do with heart disease. In fact, your symptoms aren't even consistent with heart disease. You also have to fully recognize what is happening to you is secondary to anxiety. When the symptoms happen to you, you really have to keep telling yourself they're anxiety. Once you've made the effort to not think about it for a few days, you'll just stop thinking about it period, and then it will be a lot easier.

You have to trust your doctor who is telling you you are in good health.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
    tryingtofindpeace
    (male)

i understand. but its really hard for me to do that. and everytime i get chest pressure it just makes it run through my head and the head pressure. being 19 i dont want to take any medication because of side effects. after the 3rd ekg and 2 diff doctors opinions its still hard for me to think im alright because of the symptoms. i yawn alot idk why but im never really tired throughout the day.l how reliable are the ekg's too im just wondering. Last should i be worried about any cancer? help!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #15
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

You're 19. You're healthy physically, but you have a serious problem with anxiety which needs to be addressed. I don't think you have insight in to the fact that your anxiety is driving this, and will only result in further anxiety when you analyze this more and more.

Anxiety is not something which is just "in your head". When you are anxious, there is a measurable increase in the amount of catecholamines (like adrenaline) in your blood which causes palpitations, increased blood pressure, sweating and feeling of anxiety. Different people react to the feeling differently, but in your case, it is clear that it's causing you enough trouble to prevent you from sleeping.

Objectively look at what you're saying--you are not trusting the doctors (who have trained for many years to get where they are) with their interpretation of an ECG. If you don't trust them, who ARE you going to trust? Yourself? I'm pretty sure you can't read an ECG. Secondly, think to yourself what it is exactly that would make you feel better. Is it someone telling you definitively you don't have heart disease? Well, that sounds like it would be nice, but people ARE telling you that, and you are STILL anxious. Why? Not because of heart problems, but because of your anxiety itself. There is no shame in telling the doctor you are very anxious, and taking some medication to help for a short period of time will help break the cycle. When you are not so wound up, the medications can be stopped and you hopefully won't enter this vicious circle again.

You say you "can't do that" because it is very difficult to fight the irrational, anxious side of your brain when it is revving in full force. But unless you try SOMETHING to solve the problem at its root, you will continue to feel this way.

PS Vague "head pressure" is a very non-specific symptom which has no diagnostic value.

Last edited by harka; 12-08-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Closed Thread