It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Beta blockers spontaneously stopped working?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
    carchick516
    (female)

carchick516 HB User
    Unhappy Beta blockers spontaneously stopped working?

Hi,

About three years ago I was diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia and prescribed beta-blockers. I am currently on Nadolol, and it was working magically for about two years.

As of 2 months ago I was on 20mg daily, but it started to feel like too high a dose (sluggishness, bradycardia, etc). I have specific instructions from my cardiologist to adjust my own dose between 10mg-40mg daily, as my condition fluctuates. So I went down to 10mg daily for about a week, but that was too low. I went back up to 20mg right when I got a new prescription refill at a different pharmacy than usual, and all of a sudden the medication doesn't seem to work at all anymore.

Historically the tachycardia has been purely exercise-induced, with no symptoms whatsoever at rest. Now I have a rapid heartbeat ALL the time, some days far worse than others. I am constantly dizzy because of it. I am taking 40mg daily of the Nadolol (at the cardio doc's recommendation... he seemed unconcerned about the change), but it does not seem to help.

I thought maybe it was the new refill, but I got a different one and that doesn't work either. Has anyone else ever had beta blockers spontaneously give up on them like this? Not only that, but has anyone else ever had sinus tachycardia turn so drastically downhill spontaneously? The condition usually fluctuates, but typically very small changes over very long time periods. Nothing like this. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
    hopesprings2
    Inactive
    (female)

hopesprings2 HB User
    Re: Beta blockers spontaneously stopped working?

i think different brands make a differene
    changing around can cause problems

Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
    paulieboy908
    (male)

paulieboy908 HB User

i too suffered from sinus tach, i was prescribed a beta blocker, but i also had a Vitamin B-12 defeciency at the same time, the beta blocker did control it as i went threw B-12 injections,

Old 05-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
    bblonts
    (female)

bblonts HB User

It might not be the medication--maybe it is a physical change in you. Some heart medications will interact with other medications, like thyroid. If you take other meds, check the interaction that could happen. It could be new vitiamins or other chemicals. But I can tell you that it is very important to get the blood pressure under control. I had a heart attack because I didn't get mine under control--The meds the doc had given me had exhausted me and I told him I would rather be dead than to feel like that all the time--it was hard to get out of bed to use the bathroom.
    I was working an extended sub position, came home on a Friday afternoon, went to bed--my only sympton was totally exhaustion!

I finally dragged mysefl to the doc's office on Monday morning and he told me that he couldn't help me and to go to the hospital. I was so tired, my daughter took me home to get a few things and I had to take a nap before going to the hospital...then they ran blood work and did an EKG--they came back and told me I had had a heart attack. I thought that was crazy--they moved me to another hospital and I had an angioplast and they put in 2 stents. They sent me home with bp meds and Plavix. That was in Jan. 2008.

May one of the same year, I was again exhausted and went to the doc on a Sat. morning and he told me to go to the ER--I needed four pints of blood because of Plavix--then 8 months ago, I got a fever that I couldn't bring down, I went to the ER thinking it was an infection--the heart doc came in the next morning and tried to get me to say I had symptoms, like being tired--I told him it was just an infection and the next morning he took me to the cath lab--I had to have another stent for one of the arteries that had been stented, was now 90% closed!

All I had was a simple fever. Heart disease is sly when it comes to women--no chest pains--not in my case--just felt like I had the flu and the first time, extreme exhaustion. So, be careful of high blood pressure and get it under control--it's a killer. Good Luck, B.

Closed Thread