It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Plavix and Ibuprofen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
    Brendap
    (female)

Brendap HB User
    Plavix and Ibuprofen

I am new to Plavix, having just had a bare metal stent put in my RCA 3 weeks ago. I haven't even had my followup check up with the Cardiologist yet.

I read the drug flyer with Plavix and see the drug interaction warnings. My question is, will an occasional ibuprofen be harmful on a very limited basis? My back is giving me problems and I know just a couple of ibuprofen or even one a day would be such a help until it calms down.

Tylenol doesn't help. I could wait until my consult with the Dr., but in the mean time I have read many informative posts on this board, and I am curious if any of you on Plavix have used an occasional ibuprofen in a pinch.

I am a 66 year old female in otherwise good health.

Thanks, Brenda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User
    Re: Plavix and Ibuprofen

I haven't touched Ibuprofen since my stent was put in 4+ years ago...my doctors were all very insistent that I avoid the stuff (and I have subsequently read some things on my own that make me think my frequent use of it pre-stent may have helped cause my blockage).

Personally, I'd recommend you discuss with your doctor first...

I have learned to use Tylenol...there are some stronger, quick release versions of it now that work just as well as the ibuprofen (though you could never have convinced me of that pre-stent).

Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendap View Post
    I am new to Plavix, having just had a bare metal stent put in my RCA 3 weeks ago. I haven't even had my followup check up with the Cardiologist yet.

I read the drug flyer with Plavix and see the drug interaction warnings. My question is, will an occasional ibuprofen be harmful on a very limited basis? My back is giving me problems and I know just a couple of ibuprofen or even one a day would be such a help until it calms down.

Tylenol doesn't help. I could wait until my consult with the Dr., but in the mean time I have read many informative posts on this board, and I am curious if any of you on Plavix have used an occasional ibuprofen in a pinch.

Thanks, Brenda
    The reason they ask you to avoid ibuprofen with clopidogrel is because the former has the effect of causing gastric and duodenal ulcers when used in excess, and this can lead to gastrointestinal bleeding (whether symptomatic or not). Clopidogrel works by inhibiting platelet function which can lead to gastrointestinal bleeding IF THERE IS SOMETHING TO BLEED....like an ulcer! A person with a normal GI tract taking clopidogrel should have no problems, but if you have something predisposed to bleeding like an ulcer, the combination of the two can be dangerous.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
    arlynsmith
    (male)

arlynsmith HB User

I have a strong, healthy stomach so your mileage may vary. You really should talk to your doctor about your specific situation - but having said that, I take at least 12, 200mg ibuprofen tabs every day of the year and have for many years. For most of the last three years I also took a 75 mg Plavix daily and have had no ill effects whatsoever. Just last month my cardio told me I should have stopped the Plavix a year ago as he only recommends it for a max of two years (I have a Cypher stent). Guess he overlooked that I was still taking it, which begs the question of what else has been overlooked, but that's another thread!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlynsmith View Post
    I have a strong, healthy stomach so your mileage may vary. You really should talk to your doctor about your specific situation - but having said that, I take at least 12, 200mg ibuprofen tabs every day of the year and have for many years. For most of the last three years I also took a 75 mg Plavix daily and have had no ill effects whatsoever. Just last month my cardio told me I should have stopped the Plavix a year ago as he only recommends it for a max of two years (I have a Cypher stent). Guess he overlooked that I was still taking it, which begs the question of what else has been overlooked, but that's another thread!
    Arlynsmith, whoa you take alot of ibuprofen. Be VERY VERY careful, and you may want to talk to your doctor about changing that up. You obviously have an iron stomach, but that amount of NSAIDs can be detrimental to your kidney function in the short-term, but especially in the long-term.

No one should be on that high dose of NSAID medications for that long--there are other alternatives, including stronger NSAIDs which can be used at a smaller dose.

I just wanted to mention that, as while everying is very aware of the GI complications of NSAIDs, the renal stuff tends to be ignored or forgotten.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
    mtshultz
    (male)

mtshultz HB User

I’m not real sure doctors understand Plavix.

My hope is that everyone could or would stop taking Plavix. I have no idea of your doctor’s presentation of this drug to you but I do not remember the doctor explaining anything to my mother and myself other than, “you need to be careful about falling.” OK, fine. A 60+ year old woman doesn’t need to have a fall. Break a hip or some other injury and excessive bleeding from any type of blood thinner will hinder any type of recovery. But at NO TIME do I remember him telling any of us that a fall or blow to the chin area would cause your brain to hemorrhage beyond any type medical help.

That is exactly what they told us at the ER. We were told if she had been on Coumadin or Heparin they could administer Potassium and slow the bleeding but there was NOTHING to counteract Plavix. They were "so very sorry." She passed away due to the hemorrhaging in less than 24 hours.

Mother was taking Plavix and aspirin but would sometimes discontinue the aspirin when the blue spots on her arms would get too severe. I believe if she fully understood Plavix she would have all but refused to take it.

Since my mothers passing, I have talked to other friends about what happened. When I mentioned it to one particular friend she replied, “my doctor said Plavix only was a little stronger than an aspirin.” A little stronger than aspirin? Does that doctor fully understand Plavix???

Before posting this I saw one other reference on this message board that Plavix was “similar” to aspirin. I’ve never seen anyone hemorrhage to death because of aspirin.

I personally consider Plavix to be a death sentence in waiting. Ask your doctor for as much detail as they can supply about Plavix.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

It's unfortunate, but yes, clopidogrel just like any other medication has its side-effects. Fortunately, serious life-threatening bleeding is very rare and happens very infrequently. Clopidogrel is a very useful drug and has prevented thousands and thousands of people from having heart attacks or from clotting off the stents that were just placed after a heart attack. What people don't understand is that, yes there are serious risks to any medications, but they fail to remember the risk of NOT taking the medication. For people who stop their clopidogrel after stents are placed in their coronary arteries, many of them show up to the emergency with new heart attacks, and when the angiogram is done, they see the stent has clotted off.

I think it's important to keep in mind that all drugs have their risk, and it's horrible when a serious event happens to someone, but that doesn't mean that many thousands of other people don't benefit from it.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
    mtshultz
    (male)

mtshultz HB User

Many thousands of people also benefit from Lipitor, but was not it also a danger to others? Should it still be considered such a God sent medication and be prescribed to everyone?

How many people will have to have suffer and die from this “very rare,” “life-threatening bleeding that happens so very infrequently,” before someone steps up and says enough is enough with the SUPER ASPIRIN.

Listen up people Plavix/Clopidogrel IS NOT Aspirin!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
    Chazz22
    (male)

Chazz22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendap View Post

Thanks, Brenda
    I had a DES put into an previously unknown 100% block LAD in April of this year. AFTER THE PROCEDURE, I WAS TOLD IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS THAT ALL NSAIDS except 81mg of aspirin were off limits. NOT EVEN ONE. NOTHING BUT TYLENOL which still does nothing for me. But you learn to live with the discomforts even previous back injuries.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
    Pierre50
    (male)

Pierre50 HB User

Wonderful Thread - Glad I am off Plavix

June 2008 2 independent 'Non Q-Wave' heart attacks earned me a bare stent. Plavix, Atenalol, and Simvastatin were now my new best friends.

They woke me during the angioplasty to explain that I was getting a bare stent instead of the drug eluting stent (DES) due to the 3 collapsing disks in my neck that required facet injections periodically.

They approved my use of naprosyn for my neck pains... didn't really make that much of a deal about it.

I was given the book 'Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease' by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.

Within a year of the event, I was left only taking the Simvastatin. I will be working on this with my new Cardiologist soon.

The original Cardiologist, after blood work showing 99 and then 104 total combined cholesterol counts, said that I had taken control of my disease and would not need the Plavix and Atenolol any more. Never did mention the anxiety and heart paliptations and flutters while I was coming off of these drugs... but i did get off of them!!! That is the important part.

I am not at all a fan of ADDITIVE medicine. Yes, I understand that it makes the financial world go round, but some things just aren't meant to be taken forever.

I have switched over to Aspirin exclusively since the event occurred 1.25 years ago. For what ever reason the new diet means that I really didn't have the level of pain that I used to! In July I moved back to my hometown of Tucson AZ.

I haven't felt this good in many many years. I am biking alot more than ever, and loving every minute of it! (Thanks for the gifts Lord)

I submit that you need to see what lifestyle changes will be acceptable to you... and then commit to them for the window of time that you have made the commitment. Get the real facts in front of your face. Keep a log of your health. It's easy for me to KNOW that I feel better... cause I DO. When I fall back to the old diet, and I have, I really feel the impact in so many ways.

ALL THINGS run in a SEASON - My seasons are different than yours. I encourage you to discover your seasons, that is all... the durations may, or may not remain the same depending on the season.

I am sure that might be confusing... don't hesitate to ask for more clarification.

HTH....

Closed Thread