It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• "Irregular Heartbeat Detected"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
    abergeron
    (male)

abergeron HB User
    "Irregular Heartbeat Detected"

Hi. My blood pressure was high (~145/90) at my last physical, so I bought a home monitor. I have been able to get consistent 120/80 readings and think stress is what elevates it. Last Friday, and again this morning, I got the symbol for "Irregluar Heartbeat Detected." The manual simply says to contact my physician if I see this frequently.

What does this mean? Should I be worried. It's sort of freaking me out. I'm 30, exercise regularly, not overweight, don't smoke, eat healthy--but do drink alcohol and I think I internalize a lot of stress/anxiety (which I'm working on).

Should I call my doctor, continue to monitor, do anything else? Thank you so much in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
    abergeron
    (male)

abergeron HB User
    Re: "Irregular Heartbeat Detected"

Anybody? Anybody? Come on, don't be bashful. I would really appreciate some of your insights. I am very new to the idea of any health/heart concerns. Never been a blip on my radar until recently.

Thank you.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
    midi77
    (male)

midi77 HB User

I think PVCs will set the indicator off, or if you move during the test. PVCs can happen frequently and as long as they are not with a very fast heart rate, they are generlaly harmless, but you may want to follow-up with your doc and see what he suggests, or at the very least, he can give you an EKG. Are you one to get Palpitations (heart fluttering) often?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
    abergeron
    (male)

abergeron HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midi77 View Post
    Are you one to get Palpitations (heart fluttering) often?
    I've experienced what I think is a "skipped beat" on several occasions. Maybe a few times a year. Flutters--not sure.

I'll have to do some research on PVC; not familiar with that. Is that it? No other concerns?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
    midi77
    (male)

midi77 HB User

I have Palpitations often, which can also be classified as Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs). They trip my blood pressure monitor all the time. I would still call your doctor and run it by them. They may just want you to come in and have an EKG. If they don't catch anything with the EKG, they may want you to wear a halter monitor for 24 hours, or they may do nothing. Have you had the irregular indicator since?

Closed Thread