It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Mitral Valve Regurgitation / Need repair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
    saint90ms
    (female)

saint90ms HB User
    Mitral Valve Regurgitation / Need repair

I have recently found out that I will need a mitral valve repair due to severe regurgitation of the mitral valve, borderline atrial septal aneurysm with no shunting and mildly leaking tricuspid valve. I've had mitral valve prolapse since a young child, I am now 40 years old. I am otherwise a healthy 40 year old female. I am still in shock and didn't see it coming a mile away. I have always gone for checkups with the cardiologist, but the last time I went was in 2004 because he said I didn't need any further yearly appt because my condition was mild (as was in the past).

My PCP found a carotid bruit for the 1st time during a routine physical. SHe sent me for a doppler which was excellent. The the cardiologist sent me for an echo. He said back in 2004 the regurg. was about a 3-4 on a scale of 1-10 and now it is a 7.5 - 8. The carotid bruit is coming from the mitral valve. The regurgitation is in his words "severe" and I will need to have a repair. The aortic valve is showing small changes in terms of dilation.I had a small episode back in 2004 where I lost half vision field in right eye, but eye doctor chalked it up to a migraine experience. I never had a migrain in my whole life, but the cardi. doctor now thinks that was a small TIA.

MY QUESTION IS THIS......being where the severity with the regurgitation is at now, when would I start to feel other symptoms associated with the severe regurg / prolapse? Does it start happening fairly quickly? What are things that can start happening. I've always had palpitations with mild mild mild atrial fib.that came and went very infrequently throughout my life. So that was never anything to worry about. Thank you so much for your time and effort

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread