It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Waking Up Out Of Breath & Heart Racing & Flutters

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
    bullgod
    (male)

bullgod HB User
    Waking Up Out Of Breath & Heart Racing & Flutters

Hi,

I have been getting heart flutters for a few years on and off. When i get these some are weak and some flutters are very strong! It kinda feels like a flicking in my heart..When a strong one occurs it causes a real sharp popping pain and a clicking flutter type feeling. ( They occur 95% of the time when i am resting or laying on my side or back etc )

any1 know what this may be....

The last 3-4 weeks i have been waking up every night 2 or 3 times totally out of breath!, Heart racing like crazy!, totally disorientated and life flash backs... i Have to jump out of bed and walk to the lounge and hold onto something as to focus on not passing out and focusing on reducing my heart rate to normal. ( This only happens when i lay in bed and try and sleep for the first few hours ) eg i will go to bed around 11.30pm and these attacks can occur between 11.30- 3.00am usually and i will be fine early morning and all day / night.

any ideas or does any1 know what this is?

I Am 30 yr old male, smoked for 15 yrs.. recently quit smoking

Family History : Father had heart attack @ 35yrs old- Triple by-pass, Grandpa had heart attack by-pass, Uncle died of massive heart failure @ 29 yrs old. ( All smokers )

Regards

Michael

Last edited by bullgod; 01-16-2010 at 05:06 AM. Reason: adding family history and age

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
    Re: Waking Up Out Of Breath & Heart Racing & Flutters

I do not know what this is other tan to say it sounds like heart problems and you definitely should go and be checked out. You could also have sleep apnea, either way, you need to be checked out, please...........

Sunny

Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
    sharonyvonnekea
    (female)

sharonyvonnekea HB User

I kept thinking mine was panic attacks - it was always worse at night. I finally got admitted to A&E where was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrilation, an Atrial septal defect and a leaking mitral valve - total surprise last year!!

given your family history i think you'd better check with doctor/cardiologist!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
    ticka24
    (female)

ticka24 HB User

well, i have the very same symptoms i had put them down to anxiety, do you get a feeling of sinking when you wake and are you jolted awake by this,when i get these attacks they can last for up to 4 hours and the next day i am totally shatterd, i have stress related angina and had a mild heart attack in i995, my GP recently sent me for an ECG, which came back normal, so i have decided that the next bad one i get i am ging to the emergency dept, maybe with your family history you should do the same, just be safe, hoping that you get help real soon, Take care, Maria.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
    bullgod
    (male)

bullgod HB User

Hi Maria, That is the word i have been looking for "Sinking feeling" and i defenatly get the jolt which wakes me to catch my breath! looks like we have the same problem.

I have had blood tests, ECG's etc but it all shows up fine ( these symtoms never happen when you are hooked up to a machine ) i am having a 24 hour monitor on next week and if that shows up fine i will have sleep testing.

I also get very anxious and have a fear of heights/ open spaces on occasions so im not sure if what i have is nerve/anxiety related or heart related?.

Maria- do you know much about sleep apnia? and if so could it be this?

Thanks Maria Take care and i will write soon

Michael

Last edited by moderator2; 02-10-2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User

Could be an arrhythmia too, a condition that can be exacerbated by sleep apnea. See your cardiologist. Diagnosing arrhythmias may require wearing a monitor for a while to detect the flutter. Wearing a monitor can help catch them since they come and go -- at least that's the case with my arrhythmia.

Closed Thread