HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   Heart Valve Repair (Mitral Valve Prolapse) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/731460-heart-valve-repair-mitral-valve-prolapse.html)

LiverpoolMan 01-17-2010 08:23 AM

Heart Valve Repair (Mitral Valve Prolapse)

Hi

My Mother had a heart valve repair operation (mitral valve prolapse) a little under two weeks ago and also had a small hole in the heart repaired at the same time, the operaion was a success and Mum was discharged from hospital 7 days later.

Mum's only symptom of a heart valve problem was her breathlessness which had worsened over the past 12 months, the surgeon told her that it could take up to 3 months after surgery for her breathlessness to stop. Does anybody have any experience of this, ie have you had a heart valve repair and still found yoursefl breathless for a while afterwards , she is also very tired and finding it hard to sleep, which I suppose is to be expected after such a big operation.

Any advice from anyone who has had similar surgery would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

mel8801 01-17-2010 12:14 PM

Re: Heart Valve Repair (Mitral Valve Prolapse)

:wave:Hi

Your mom just had major surgery and the symptoms you discribe are normal. I had excatly the same surgery done and it seems like that 3 month date is the magical number. When I hit the 3 month marker I felt great but in the meantime I felt like I had been ran over by a freight train. The tiredness an sleepness is normal and she really needs to take it easy for awhile. I had trouble with my breathing and it turned out there was fluid around my lung which had to be drained so be sure and tell her Doctor about it. It takes time to get back to normal so be patient and do as much for he as you can so she can rest and it does get better. Be sure and have the Dr. check her lungs to make sure there is no fluid. This is a great sight if you have any other questions because it seems a lot of people have had this same operation and everyone is so helpful. Good luck to you and your Mom. Take Care.

LiverpoolMan 01-18-2010 08:40 AM

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to reply and it is nice to hear that you are doing well, I will keep a close eye on Mum's breathing, which has improved a bit today, she over done it yesterday which may of made her worse, ie to many visitors and telephone calls in one day. If it gets any worse I will give the Doctor a call. The surgeon did explain that some people wake up after surgery and feel instantly better and their breathing returns to normal straight away, with some people it is a gradual thing over a period of months and for some it doesn't improve but will never get any worse, Mum also has asthma which doesn't help.
Thanks again

sharonyvonnekea 01-27-2010 03:34 AM

hi there
i had an ASD closure and mitral valve repair 20 october last year. Then got admited back in with a pericardial effusion and re-opened.

from experience i would say that you should have had GP/hospital follow up appointment by now- British heart foundation helpline very good for queries too.

I was breathless pre-op and would say that post op its difficult to breath properly sometimes because of the pain. what medication is she on?

she will be very tired and will find it hard to sleep. i am 10 weeks post 2nd sternotomy this week and as a 41yr o ld with a small child i am asleep before him. im sure some people bounce back, but i didnt. its a major shock to your whole body. I would hope that in another 10 weeks i have more energy and better sleep pattern too.

anyway, hospital or GP if the breathlessness hasnt stopped.

i hope this helps
sharon

scouselad1974 01-28-2010 12:51 AM

Hi

Thanks for you reply, first of all i hope that you make a good recovery asap.
She is taking a small dose of Ramipril each night and simavastin, of a morning she takes an aspirin and amiodarone (short term, used to correct the heart rythm, which was slightly out after her op, but is ok now) gave her terrible side effects at the beginning of treatment)
she also takes lansporazole 30mg 1 hour before food each morning.

her op was 3 weeks ago, her follow up is in 3 weeks time.
She is improving a little every day

sharonyvonnekea 01-29-2010 01:43 AM

honestly each week she will get stronger, its a major blow to the body. im week 10 now and can just start to get a comfortable sleep. by her check up at week 6 she will be much stronger.

dont forget these hospitals know what they are looking for post open heart surgery - they pulled me back in as i was taking too many pain killers for their liking and they found a pericardial effusion.

shes a very brave woman! i wouldnt have had such a big operation at her age. god bless her.

your care and support will make sure she makes the best possible recovery.

keep me posted

scouselad1974 01-29-2010 02:05 AM

Thank you very much for your kind words, I will keep you updated with her progress and it is nice to hear that you can at last have a comfortable sleep.
Good luck with your recovery

coolruddy 07-19-2010 10:27 AM

hi, my husband had a heart valve repair 4 weeks ago, and then suffered a Transient Ischeamic attack after 2 weeks, which was terrifying for me and my son. The doctors have prescribed medication, and said that the tia was probably due to surgery and unlikely to reoccur. He is also having trouble sleeping occasionally and is experiencing dizziness and tiredness some days. Is this normal? Any tips on how to help his recovery

scouselad1974 07-19-2010 01:33 PM

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about your Husband and can only imagine how horrible/scary it must of been for you, hopefully he is now on the road to recovery.

My Mum would also tire very easily after her operation, I think this is normal as it is quite a traumatic experience for the body, the dizziness could be a side effect of his medication. My Mum suffered from trembling and would become very breathless when talking etc, but this all passed and now she is doing well.

Not being able to sleep is part of this as many people suffer from the same problem, my Mums op was 6 months ago now and she still has nights where she can't sleep.

Give your husband my best and soon enough he will be back to his old self, tell him to take it easy and not to over do things and let his body take whatever time it needs to recover. resting is one of the best things he can do and my Mum found that walking up and down the stairs helped her quite a bit.

In a few months time you will be so pleased that he had the operation .

Good Luck

coolruddy 07-19-2010 02:41 PM

thanks so much it helps to hear from other people experiencing the same thing. Good health to your mum and I will keep you updated on hubbys progress