It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

Aortic Heart Valve Replacement Anyone?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
lKaz
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Arrow Aortic Heart Valve Replacement Anyone?

Hi! Am looking for someone who's had or will need an Aortic Heart Valve Replacement. I've had it done, and they messed it up bad; put a valve in too small for my body! The operation itself is life-changing, and I'm looking for someone who can share on this same issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
goldyfm
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Aortic Heart Valve Replacement Anyone?

I have multi-valve regurgitation and will have to have a valve replacement at some point. The Aortic is the worsst of the 4 valves with moderate to severe regurgitation. I was tried on several meds and took Atacand for a couple of years, but developed Lupus and dropped about 45 pounds, down to 110 and it was lowering my blood pressure to dangerous levels, so I had to stop the Atacand. I am currently having dizzy spells that are increasing, even experiencing when reclining now and they seem to come in clusters. Over the last 4 1/2 years have not shown any significant progression of regurg, but am now about 4 months out from last echo and wondering if I may be having some progression.

My mother had a "pig" valve replacemnt of Aorta in her late 70's. She did fine throughout the procedure and afterwards, other than they had a hard time weaning off the respirator after surgery. I think she was in the hospital about 10 weeks post-op because of that problem. She lived another 12 years and died of unrelated causes. All in all she had good results. She did have major mobility problems as she was overweight for many years before losing a lot of weight (around 100 pounds) prior to her surgery. That limited her abilbity to exercise and gain the full positive effects of her surgery. I have read a lot on valve replacements due to her surgery and the possibility of my future surgery or multi-valve replacements. I do have a sister and daughter with MVP and the sister also has Aortic Valve from Phen Phen and she is slated for replacement as the numbers decline. I know there are others here that have had replacements and I hope they may be able to discuss the outcomes with you. I do hope you are doing well at this time.

Last edited by goldyfm; 01-23-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
lKaz
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Arrow Re: Aortic Heart Valve Replacement Anyone?

THANK YOU goldyfm for sharing your story! I'm sorry your condition is multi-valve, as mine was only the Aortic; but I'm glad that your numbers have been good so far.

I'm 46 years old, born with a bicuspid aortic heart valve (2 leaflets instead of normal 3); and Marfan's Syndrome, a connective tissue disorder. I eventually became weaker and weaker, with the cardiologist finally telling me that I needed the surgery or I would die.

Just before the valve replacement surgery, they also found my aorta itself was enlarged due to the constant years of excessive blood flow pressure on it (the same thing that killed actor John Ritter, only his wasn't caught, and sadly, ruptured; God rest his soul). I personally believe they specifically looked at my aorta due to Ritter's cause of death, as this was often over-looked previously.

So I had the aortic valve replaced with a metal one, as they advised that pig valves wear out faster and are usually put in older people (due to a higher risk of death in a 2nd surgery). They also did a graft on my aorta itself, strengthening it, for the above mentioned condition.

Soon after surgery I learned the valve is still putting out too much blood. Like 3cm more than it should be. How could this be? I was very sad to hear this, as I had put off having the surgery as long as I could (10 years +).

Well I'll be having a cardio exam late February & will let you know how I'm doing. It is my hope that my valve will "adjust" itself, with decreasing blow flow. I just can't imagine going through that surgery again. ~lKaz

Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
goldyfm
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Wow, what a story. I am going to send positive thoughts your way. I do hope that as your recovery continues, that your body will compensate for the difference in blood flow. Did they say this may be a possibility? I would imagine there would be a lot of inflammation in such an extensive surgery. Let us hear how you are progressing.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
lKaz
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Talking Re: Aortic Heart Valve Replacement Anyone?

Hi! THANK YOU Goldy for your positive thoughts and sharing!
There is a slight possibility that my valve will adjust itself to the proper outflow of blood. My cardiologist suggested some weight loss and light exercise. I like to think that miracle's happen, and that it will adjust itself!

However, I'm also a realist lol, and will be keeping an eye on this with regular check ups. I have to laugh about it because life's too short and I've cried enough actually.

As far as the surgery itself, yes, I was treated and watched in the hospital for seven days for inflammation, complications. They made sure everything was good before let out. And on another note, I'm very glad they strenthened the aorta now, since the outflow is still too high. I think this is life-saving for myself.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
kcheart
(female)

kcheart HB User

Hi, yes, I had the same thing happen to me. I'm 51 but had the surgery in Jan, 2006 at the Cleveland Clinic. I chose a porcine valve over a mechanical valve b/c I didn't want to be on Coumadin the rest of my life. They put in a valve that was too small and the repair they did on my mitral valve is not holding. I now have to have both valves replaced with mechanical, AND be on Coumadin the rest of my life. My surgery is scheduled for Sept, 2010.

Have you had a replacement done yet? How are you now?

Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
eagleman82857
(male)

eagleman82857 HB User

I am 53 an d found out 2 years ago that I had an aortic aneurism and a bicuspid aortic valve that I was born with. I've been in poor health for about 25 years now and just finding out the my problem has been with my heart valve because it wasn't allowing the proper bloodflow .
My aneurism went from 3.2 cm to 5.1 cm in 1.5 years. I am sheduled for open heart surgery to replace the valve and repair the aneurysm. I would like to know if anyone has been through thius surgery .
I am in pretty good health otherwise but it is still very scary.
I also want to say that if anyone doesn't feel comfortable or has questions about their Dr,s diagnosis please don't be afrid of getting another opinion or 2. It's your life and your health. If I didn,t get another opinion I would not have known how dangerous this became

Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
eagleman82857
(male)

eagleman82857 HB User

Hi I have the same problem with the bicuspid aortic valve and the aortic aneurysm which is at 5.1 cm. I am sheduled for open heart surgery may 12, 2011. I have never had any kind of surgery and this is kind of scary knowing that I will be put on a heart/lung machine and my body temp down to 12 degrees. Could you let me know what to expect during the surgery . I know it may sound funny but did you dream or was there nothing at all.I have a strong faith in the Lord and I know that what will be will be but any words of encouragement would be very special to me. God Bless

Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Angelwing09
(female)

Angelwing09 HB User

Hi every one. I am so glad I found this site. Two weeks ago I was told that I had a bicuspid arotic valve and that I do have some blood going back into my heart.I was also told that i was born with it.They found it because the last year or so I started having very fast heart rates. And a very hard time doing things that a person should do just fine. You know like going up and down stairs, walking me dog, or even just cleaning.I starting seeing my Dr a couple months ago. After ended up passing out at work and ended up in the er. They did tests the first one was a monitor for a month. There they found that 80% of the time me heart was going 120 and other times more. My Dr put me on metoprolol 25mg a day. That didnt work that great so my Dr tried to raise it up but it made me sick. So he changed me to Diltiazen 180 mg. My heart rate is doing very good with that.Two weeks ago when my Dr said they found my valve and that blood was going back into my heart and was making my heart work to hard I didnt know what to think about it.On the 18th I go in to have another test done to find out how much blood is going back into my heart. My DR says this will let them know where everything is at.
Thats why I am so glad I found this site. No one I know undrstands. They dont understand that I am always tired. And I talk about it no one really wants to because they really dont know what to say or anything.

Closed Thread