It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

Cardiomyopathy & Pacemaker/defibrillator

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
ColleenL
(female)

ColleenL HB User
Question Cardiomyopathy & Pacemaker/defibrillator

I want to know the experiences of others who have had similar situation as myself.

I am 50 years old and early in 2009 I starting having shortness of breathe and what I thought was upper GI issues. These symptoms plus at times (especially at night) left arm tingling (I thought was numbness) and back aching. In July we were camping at 12000 feet elevation (we live at 3500) and I woke my husband up one morning to have him take me to the ER. My upper gastric pain was so bad I could not stand it.

After spending the day in the ER with really no diagnois we were sent on our way. When I returned home I went into my GP and told her about the shortness of breathe and Upper GI issues. She ran test including a chest xray which showed my heart was enlarged.

She then ran an echo which showed my ejection factor to be 35. (it later dropped to about 30) I followed up with the cardiologist and more test. I was hosptialize the day of my stress test so they could perform a heart cath. My arteries were open. I left the hosptial with the diagnois of cardiomyopathy. This was in August.

I followed the medication regime, and really got no better. I began having cardiac symptons every day, several times a day, but very mild. In December they grew worse and I went to the ER. Really there was no change and nothing new that they found. I followed up with my cardiologist who recommended a pacemaker/defib.

I had this installed in January and they had to go back in and do a lead revision a few weeks later.

I would like to hear others results with this treatment. Did your heart ever get back to normal? Were you ever able to return to full time work? What did your ejection factor get back to? Did your heart return to normal size? How long did it take?

Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Cardiomyopathy & Pacemaker/defibrillator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenL View Post
I am 50 years old and early in 2009 I starting having shortness of breathe and what I thought was upper GI issues.
In your 50 years, were you ever diagnosed as having High Blood Pressure, or High Blood Sugar? Did you ever notice your heart skipping beats, or racing, or beating too strong, etc.?

Quote:
Did your heart ever get back to normal?
I've been struggling with an enlarged heart for over 22 years.

If you'd care to read it, I've posted my experiences over the past 22+ years in a thread, here in Heart Disorders titled: The four essential steps, that I've taken, that help me live with Heart Failure. The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=641933, which you can copy and then paste into your browser's address window.

Regards. Best of luck and health!
⇒ 2002 BP was 151/96; readings:1,423
⇒ From 2008-2017 BP was 119/69; readings:7,514

Old 01-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
ColleenL
(female)

ColleenL HB User

Thanks for your reply, I have already found and read your story, it is amazing, thanks.

I have had high blood pressure off and on for 20 years, sometimes under control, sometimes not. I never noticed any heart irregularities.

Last edited by ColleenL; 01-30-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenL View Post
Thanks for your reply, I have already found and read your story, it is amazing, thanks.
I hope that there was, at least something, in my thread, that you found useful.

Quote:
I have had high blood pressure off and on for 20 years, sometimes under control, sometimes not. I never noticed any heart irregularities.
I have found four major contributors to causing Heart Failure:
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Cardiovascular Disease
  • Diabetes
  • Heart Rhythm Dysfunction

So..... I was curious as to which one(s) of the four might have contributed to your heart problems. I would imagine that your history of High Blood Pressure could be suspect. High Blood Pressure usually is associated with damaging excess hormones and cytokines, which can cause a lot of different health problems.

I see that you are also age 50. As we age, both men and women experience hormonal changes (metabolism changes), that can magnify existing health problems and/or can make a less-than-healthy diet cause health problems which would not happen at a younger age.

My approach to better health seems mundane and simplistic, but I am convinced that the healthiest diet we can have; plus significant exercise; plus avoiding bad health triggers and irritants; plus taking the most effective medication can result in significant improvements to ALL health problems, and improve EVERYONE's quality of life.

Regards, take care..... best of luck and health to you!
⇒ 2002 BP was 151/96; readings:1,423
⇒ From 2008-2017 BP was 119/69; readings:7,514

Last edited by Machaon; 02-01-2010 at 03:21 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
mamarose2000
(female)

mamarose2000 HB User

Hi, My name is Rose. I have had my defib/pacemaker for 2 years. It has done nothing to return my heart to normal function. But it does give me peace of mind in knowing that it will take care of problems with the fast beating of my heart. It has "gone off" as I call it 4 times in the two years I've had it. My rate has been 180 to the highest 300 beats per. I have been told that I would have been dead if I didn't have this device in my body.
I had to have surgury to correct other problems with my heart and hope to be back to "normal" soon. Good luck to you.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
mel8801
(female)

mel8801 HB User

Hi Rose...I also have had my pacemaker/defib for 2 years. My ICD has never gone off but I too have to peace of mind that if I EVER NEED IT IT IS THERE. WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE WHEN IT DOES GO OFF?

Closed Thread