It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• What's Causing My Heart Palpitations?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
    shawnfrancis
    (male)

shawnfrancis HB User
    What's Causing My Heart Palpitations?

I'm 41, and this all started in February, when I started to get heart these heart palpitations. At it didn't seem like a big deal because they would only occur when I was sitting, and they were very fluttery. They also came with a congested cough. Then came that Friday in May when they struck at night, all night, and were rather strong. I made a doctors appointment, to which I was urged to get off the nose drops, and the Simply Sleep tablets. I had been taking for the past decade. I did, but the palpitations continued. They put me on a Halter Monitor, which I thought would solve everything, but the doctor I had said, even though the palpitations registered, they were essentially nothing I should concern myself with.

I was shocked to hear such an answer since I have never had heart palpitations like this in my life. Frankly, my first thought when I started having them was that they were due to my teeth, some cavity, or problem there I didn't know about. So, I made a Dentist appointment, and they found two cavities. Two months later they were scheduled to get filled, they did, and finally the palpitations started to go away. By the end of the second week, they were essentially gone. They came back briefly for a day, then vanished again. Now, I'm having them again, wiht that xongested cough, mostly at night this time, and I can't figure out what the hell is causing them. I have already scheduled an appointment with a cardiologist in August.

Does anyone have any theories? I'm concerned this could lead to a potential, and fatal, heart attack one day.

Oh, and, for some reason, when I lay on my right side they become more frequent, can't figure that out either. I have also been burping a lot lately, is that connected, too?

And, apparently my white cell count is down, what does that mean?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
    wideawake
    (male)

wideawake HB User
    Re: What's Causing My Heart Palpitations?

i TO at the age of 42 had palpatations.After many tests i had to have bypass surgery in 1993,if nothing shows,keep pestering,thats how i got results,and it saved my life,dont let them put you off,with,oh its nothing.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

I also get palps sometimes and they do seem to be more annoying at night. burp and cough and they seem to go away. Some days though my heart starts racing up to 190 bpm. I have had this issue for about 20 years and still am told that it is something that may go away or may have to have a cardiac catheter to burn away the area giving me issues.
    I have also been sniffy and getting a lot of sinus drainage. I haven't had my white blood count checked lately, but my GP has mentioned some times my white blood count is high.
    I wonder if that gland in my neck gets infected or something that causes my issues.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
    caring12
    (female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wideawake View Post
    i TO at the age of 42 had palpatations.After many tests i had to have bypass surgery in 1993,if nothing shows,keep pestering,thats how i got results,and it saved my life,dont let them put you off,with,oh its nothing.
    I am with wide on this one. I had palps going back to my 20s. Eks echo nada caught them. I had been giving digitalis though inderal la and attenlol but the drs never saw what i felt. it got worse in my mid 40s then i in oct of last year i go to er. i woke up hear pounding ateries in neck killing me. they find i had a potassium problem. 2 weeks later i wake up so weak i tell my son give me an aspirin pick me up. so weak. heart attack. painless heart attack. keep a log and i bought a stethoscope for under 20 bucks. it was the only way I could get the dr to leave the ekg on long enough to see what i had felt. to bad he did not think it was a big deal until it was.

if heart trouble is in the family tree push your dr or see another one.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

They have actually caught my palps on an EKG and also mine "converted" back to normal. I have had every test known to man except a cardiac catheter. And have been checked by 4 cardios that I know of. Nothing but SVT...

Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
    shawnfrancis
    (male)

shawnfrancis HB User

So far, my former DR., who's leaving the area, good, never really liked him, seems to think I have nothing to worry about. I'm hoping to God this cardiologist I'm seeing in August isn't like that. There isn't another one in my area. I may be screwed if he doesn't come through.

This is weird, and it may be nothing at all, but I had a psychic reading two months ago, and this woman told me the palpitations were due to a potassium deficiency. When the blood tests my doctors did came back with no abnormalities in this department, I obviusly assumed she was way off. Is it possible for a potassium deficiency to not register on a blood test?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
    caring12
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnfrancis View Post
    So far, my former DR., who's leaving the area, good, never really liked him, seems to think I have nothing to worry about. I'm hoping to God this cardiologist I'm seeing in August isn't like that. There isn't another one in my area. I may be screwed if he doesn't come through.

This is weird, and it may be nothing at all, but I had a psychic reading two months ago, and this woman told me the palpitations were due to a potassium deficiency. When the blood tests my doctors did came back with no abnormalities in this department, I obviusly assumed she was way off. Is it possible for a potassium deficiency to not register on a blood test?
    did you see the results? one can have low normal potassium and still have heart issues. the best way is to have a 24 hr urine potassium test. i was sent to a nephro. i had issues for years and would feel weak off and on and my potassium was low.

google hypokalemia. low minerals and electroyltes can cause problems that can lay low for along time.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
    shawnfrancis
    (male)

shawnfrancis HB User

No, I didn't. But I won't know anything about what's really going on until August 3rd and that visit with that cardiologist. Hope he can actually help. My former doctor was absolutely no help at all.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
    shawnfrancis
    (male)

shawnfrancis HB User

Does anyone know if those Potassium tablets you can buy at Wal-Mart are any good. I was taking them for a while, but stopped once I thought my cavities were the cause. Since they did stop for a brief time, I was wondering if they had been helping, but I just didn't know it.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
    caring12
    (female)

THey are in a very low dose if you have a real potassium issue they will not do much good. Get it tested and take it from there.
    My kidneys flush most of the potassium out so I take an rx pill of 20meq which is about 1500 to 1700 mg. Each OTC pill is less than 100 mg. I remember when the dr in the er said hypokalemia. To much or loo little

Closed Thread