It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

PAC/PVC what next?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
skdw

skdw HB User
PAC/PVC what next?

44 year old healthy female. Recent EKG fine. Pronounced healthy by Dr.. Wore Holter Monitor 4 years ago. Started having more frequent PAC/PVC that effect everything, especially sleeping. Dr. said it was probably part of menopause starting. Tried Atenolol, 50 mgs.- not effective. Toprol, XL, 100 mgs. was great for 4 weeks then seemed to stop working. BP stayed around 110/70. What next? Should I hope for increase in Toprol or try Calcium Channel Blocker or just live with it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
Karima

Karima HB User
Re: PAC/PVC what next?

Hi,
I think an appointment with a gyn/op doctor might be of help. Palpitations related to perimenopausal can be treated. Because you are probably looking at another 10 years of these kinds of symptoms, its worth an exam, check you estrogen levels and go from there.
There is a new book out by Dr. Christianne Northrup, ob/gyn about menopause. She was on Oprah recently and even Oprah had admitted to an e.r. trip due to palpitations but after several cardio tests, it was determined they were due to being peri-menopausal.

Hope you feel better...

Old 05-21-2002, 06:28 PM   #3
browneyes_56647

browneyes_56647 HB User
Re: PAC/PVC what next?

I would visit your OB/GYN first and talk to your MD about a referral to a cardiologist. Atenolol worked well for me to start with but had to be increased periodically due to lack of effect. I am up to 150mg everyday now and meeting with my cardiologist to discuss ablation. Like all medications our bodies can and will develop a tolerance if the condition is resistant to treatment. PVC's and any other irregularity of the heart can be difficult to manage long term with meds, We switch from med to med hoping to find the right one, combine meds to get the desired effect and sometimes stop getting lucky like I did. Now I am looking to surgically correct this annoying but benign condition. I don't know about you but there is no way I can live like this. Every aspect of my life seems to be affected now, I am tired from lack of sleep, crabby from being tired, nauseous periodically throughout the day, I feel like I have someones fist stuck in my throat, and ready to toss the meds in the toilet and go for a more drastic approach. Good luck!

------------------
<p>[This message has been edited by browneyes_56647 (edited 05-21-2002).]

Closed Thread