It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• CHF and constant sleeping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
    rhonda33321
    (female)

rhonda33321 HB User
    CHF and constant sleeping

Hi,

My 86 year old mom had 4 mini strokes last year and now are in a nursing home because she could not feel her feet from diabetes and swelling of her legs, hands and feet. From her blood thinners her skin is tearing and fluid is weeping from her open sores.

Recently she can't stay awake and is so filled with fluid. She also has a Foley. I keep trying to get help in this nursing home and don't understand why she has the need to sleep all the time. I am worried and not getting help from the nursing home. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: CHF and constant sleeping

It is common for people who have CHF and previous strokes to sleep a lot. The CHF causes reduced oxygen to the brain which makes people sleepy. Is she on oxygen? If not, that may help. I would ask the nurses to check her oxygen level, and see if the Dr would order oxygen for her. It may help keep her a little more alert and more comfortable.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
    rhonda33321
    (female)

rhonda33321 HB User
    Re: CHF and constant sleeping

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    It is common for people who have CHF and previous strokes to sleep a lot. The CHF causes reduced oxygen to the brain which makes people sleepy. Is she on oxygen? If not, that may help. I would ask the nurses to check her oxygen level, and see if the Dr would order oxygen for her. It may help keep her a little more alert and more comfortable.
    I did that this morning and they said it was perfect. Though my dad went to visit her and she could not keep her eyes open.

Closed Thread

Tags
    chf, diabetes, fluid, sleep disorder