It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• How to come off Atenolol 25mg for Mitral Valve Prolapse+Anxiety-_-

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
    Chrisycat18
    (male)

Chrisycat18 HB User
    Angry How to come off Atenolol 25mg for Mitral Valve Prolapse+Anxiety-_-

Hey guys. I am 18 year old, male. Trying to come off this and I feel a little nervous about it. My doctor, stupidly enough,last time I came off this medication suddenly I had scary effects-___- like 4 days after.

So the doctors in the hospital strongly recommended that I went back on the beta blockers. So I did for two months, I asked my cardiologist about weaning off them so I've been taking my medications on an alternative day for two weeks. Now I am on the second phase and I feel a bit nervous and a bit ill (feel like I have developed Generalized Anxiety Disorder) It really does mess with your mind and since I realised that I am a little more calm (good for the blood pressure for staying calm lol)
    Past few days I have been going for walks, trying to eat healthy. I really want to lower my blood pressure and prevent it from going into dangerous levels.
    Two days ago. My blood pressure went up to 137/86(I am not sure what the dia was tbh) But I was warm all over, anxious and tired. So I fell asleep...
    but I think my blood pressure is around 101 systolic and 130 (maybe higher when anxious) So that's high blood pressure, it only went up to 137 because during the day I did a lot of walking and I tired myself out. I heard that walking lowers your blood pressure. Past few days it's all I have been doing and I am thinking about doing a mild jog today just for 10 mins and rest on and off during the day. I will do this! I miss running, biking. I really do not feel like I am a normal 18 year old it makes me want to cry. Anxiety/Atenolol has made me MORE lazy! Once when I was on Atenolol. I jogged a little under a minute and I was out of breath, heart was fluttering and warm, I was scared lmao. I was scared before jogging. Its probably anxiety and atenolol (that happened when I was first put on this med, I was on flecinide but it stopped working after the health scare that I had) I was on the floor heavy breathing, was emotional, felt like I was going to pass out and being sick. I was dehydrated and vision went slow/delayed? was hospitalised and heart did go up to 165 beats per minute. It was around that mark for a while but within 24 hours they discharged me. I felt a little funny and weird but I was alive and able to walk. (At first I thought they discharged me a little early)

Sorry if I am bad at explaining what is going on. When I came onto this second phase (of gradually coming off) I suddenly got insomnia. Couldn't sleep for two days properly (during the two days, I was anxious and experienced vertigo in the middle of Asda, it was bright and I felt scared) . I tried sleep Hypnosis and that calmed things down a lot.
    So I know for a fact anxiety plays a part in this and at times all I can feel is a sense of dread. I am somewhat constipated. (I think its loosening up a little bit now) My appetite has increased and obviously I feel more alert (I do sometimes go into a manic state) so I felt mania/hyper last night but I forced myself to sleep (didn't force too much) but I am happy at the moment that I can fall asleep.
    but can someone reassure me?
    I don't want my blood pressure to go too high
    I don't want to feel like I did when I suddenly stopped (heart was going up and down, the rate that was. Thought it was going to stop on me lmao) I felt like I messed up the pacemaker but went back on beta blockers and everyone is okay but like I said I am gradually coming off them now but a little anxious. I feel like I am getting weaned off it too fast but my cardiologist is on holiday grrrrrrrrrr
    lol of course he's allowed a holiday. I think Ill make another appointment to discuss this with the doctor (probably too late to make an appoint, surgery opens at half 8) in the morning and its 9:20am now-____- its really stupid, appointments go easily here in the UK
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My previous blood pressure readings are:
    20th May

Sys:123
    Dia:61
    Pulse: 55
    ----------------
    21st May
    Systolic: 126
    Dia: 73
    Pulse:68
    ------------
    22nd May
    Systolic: 134
    Dia: 67
    Pulse:83
    but on that day I took my beta blocker and it went down
    Systolic: 112
    Dia: 65
    Pulse: 57
    ---------------
    Today
    just checked my blood pressure, fairly happy with it. Its
    Sys: 114
    Dia: 59 (low?)
    Pulse: 71
    (I am known for a fast ish irregular heart, its normal apparently according to the doctors.) It can go a little rapid due to anxiety so I think I'll take my Atarax 25mg Tonight, Should do me a favour.

Also. I do get chest pains,clammy hands from time to time (Anxiety?) My doctor thinks it is but it is sharp, it comes and goes. I sometimes feel sick after I eat. He thinks its in my mind majority of the time. I want to believe him but I can't help it if I feel those symptoms they just occur (anxiety can just occur too) I get pains in my feet ( he said again anxiety) coldness in hands and feet. Anxiety-_-
    Just makes me feel insane. That drug is awful.

I mean don't get me wrong, it does have its benefits but its rather difficult coming off:/

I think the Atarax hydroxyzine hydrochloride 25mg at night should ease my anxiety symptoms (although they're not too bad at the moment)

Last edited by mod85; 05-23-2014 at 03:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    atenolol, beta blockers, mitral valve prolapse, weaning off