It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Treating NASH

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
    fwa1981
    (male)

fwa1981 HB User
    Question Treating NASH

Hello,

I am 22 male. Diagnosed with NASH. Got elevated ALT figures and a fatty liver. Have gone on a diet since then and also taking prescribed medicines. Want to ask people here as to what can done to treat NASH and how long does it normally takes to get treated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2003, 07:34 AM   #2
    thanbey
    Inactive
    (female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fwa1981
    Hello,

I am 22 male. Diagnosed with NASH. Got elevated ALT figures and a fatty liver. Have gone on a diet since then and also taking prescribed medicines. Want to ask people here as to what can done to treat NASH and how long does it normally takes to get treated. Thanks

could you please tell us what treatment you are being prescribed for NASH?

You are very young to have NASH.

thanbey

Old 11-11-2003, 10:50 AM   #3
    fwa1981
    (male)

fwa1981 HB User
    Yeah sure...

Well firstly i have been put on a very strict diet; no fatty foods, beef, mutton etc. Eat as much fruits and veggies as possible etc.

Secondly, i am also taking the following medicines:

Ursofalk (Ursodeoxycholic acid)
    Evion (Vitamin E) 400 mg

I have to take the medicines for six weeks and then go for a new test.

Thats it.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
    thanbey
    Inactive
    (female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fwa1981
    Yeah sure...

Well firstly i have been put on a very strict diet; no fatty foods, beef, mutton etc. Eat as much fruits and veggies as possible etc.

Secondly, i am also taking the following medicines:

Ursofalk (Ursodeoxycholic acid)
    Evion (Vitamin E) 400 mg

I have to take the medicines for six weeks and then go for a new test.

Thats it.
    Did your doctor also recommend increased exercise or activity, avoiding cigarette smoke (yours or anyone's) no alcoholic beverages and a sugar restriction?

In Japan they use a drug called Pantesin. It is available here in the States as a food supplement where it is a prescription in Japan. I know nothing more than that about it.

thanbey

Old 11-11-2003, 11:19 PM   #5
    fwa1981
    (male)

fwa1981 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thanbey
    Did your doctor also recommend increased exercise or activity, avoiding cigarette smoke (yours or anyone's) no alcoholic beverages and a sugar restriction?

In Japan they use a drug called Pantesin. It is available here in the States as a food supplement where it is a prescription in Japan. I know nothing more than that about it.

thanbey

Well he did empahsize weight loss but not exercise. I dont smoke neither do i drink.
    I also dont indulge too much in sugar rich foods.

Anyway what this drug do?

Old 11-14-2003, 08:05 PM   #6
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Hi fwa (?),

Pantesin is a brand name, but the chemical is pantethine--vitamin b 5. It has been used with some, not universal, success to treat fatty liver--talk to your doc about it. Urso is used in these cases, too, and vitamin E certainly won't hurt. Sounds like your doctor is taking a conservative and sensible approach. Nothing seems to help as much as losing the excess body fat.

Exercise is good 'cause it helps with weight loss, especially with loss of fat while preserving or increasing fat free mass (even if weight stays the same, if it is muscle not fat, you won't be troubling your liver). And, since the liver is a heavily vascular organ, there is reason to believe that those things which we know lead to cardiovascular health--like lots of exercise--are probably of value to the liver's overall health. Won't cure anything, certainly, but a good step nonetheless.

Good luck with it all. I agree with Thanbey that you are young to have this, and therefore think you must be vigilant about it from now on. You may have an unlucky genetic tendency in this direction. If so, this will be true for your lifetime.

best

sean

Last edited by sean; 11-14-2003 at 08:06 PM.

Closed Thread