It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Transmission Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
    India-Ink21

India-Ink21 HB User
    Transmission Question

I posted this on 2 other sites, but just wanted to get the opinion from some folks here. My husband has been diagnosed with HVC two weeks ago. I got tested on Thursday & am petrified that I've contracted it also. I'm scared because I'm the one with the medical insurance & steady job so I can't be sick. I never shot up, had transfusions, etc, but have used his razors occasionally in the past. His Infection Control doctor said the virus only lives a few hours when it hits a surface, but I hear contrary opinions. Also I've corresponded on forums with several people who have used their spouses razors before they knew they had it & tested clean. I'm bugging because of this. I read the story on this board about one of the gal's doctor telling her she got it from her husband because of sex or razors & that using razors doubles her chances of getting it. That in itself scared the crap out of me. Any positive input would be appreciated. Thanks, India.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Re: Transmission Question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by India-Ink21
    I posted this on 2 other sites, but just wanted to get the opinion from some folks here. My husband has been diagnosed with HVC two weeks ago. I got tested on Thursday & am petrified that I've contracted it also. I'm scared because I'm the one with the medical insurance & steady job so I can't be sick. I never shot up, had transfusions, etc, but have used his razors occasionally in the past. His Infection Control doctor said the virus only lives a few hours when it hits a surface, but I hear contrary opinions. Also I've corresponded on forums with several people who have used their spouses razors before they knew they had it & tested clean. I'm bugging because of this. I read the story on this board about one of the gal's doctor telling her she got it from her husband because of sex or razors & that using razors doubles her chances of getting it. That in itself scared the crap out of me. Any positive input would be appreciated. Thanks, India.
    I don't know of any study of transmission by razor that would support even vaguely a statement as exact as that it would "double the chance" of transmission between partners. We caution against using any instrument that might carry blood, such as razors or toothbrushes, but the only convincing evidence of transmission from bloody objects (rather than blood itself) are tatoo needles. These, of course, penetrate the skin over and over, and are dipped in inks that may have pools of viurs from many carriers, and so on.

For what its worth, I have had hep c for over four decades, have been married twice, raised seven kids, including five daughters, all spouses and kids borrowed razors like crazy (especially since for years we didn't know any better) and none have contracted hep from me. So, if it can happen, it doesn't happen easily.

I'd relax, in other words.

sean

Old 06-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
    DOCTORSLETMEDOWN
    Inactive

DOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB User

Sean has been around longer than I and has a wealth of knowledge & everything I read & have been told would echo what he said.
    I imagine Thanbey will offer up an opinion on this subject don't freak out but all I do know is my wife now has hep c & neither of us has tattoos, piercings, blood transfusions, surgeries, never did IV drugs etc. so with that said IF & I stress IF one of us did give it to the other & I feel certain we did we both have the same geno type 1A it was either her using my razors before we knew there was a reason not to or sex & they like to make it sound next to impossible but it was one or the other.

Old 06-10-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
    India-Ink21

India-Ink21 HB User

Good thing that I didn't read your response before I got my negative results. I would have freaked out. On my thread, I stated POSITIVE responses only.

Old 06-10-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOCTORSLETMEDOWN
    Sean has been around longer than I and has a wealth of knowledge & everything I read & have been told would echo what he said.
    I imagine Thanbey will offer up an opinion on this subject don't freak out but all I do know is my wife now has hep c & neither of us has tattoos, piercings, blood transfusions, surgeries, never did IV drugs etc. so with that said IF & I stress IF one of us did give it to the other & I feel certain we did we both have the same geno type 1A it was either her using my razors before we knew there was a reason not to or sex & they like to make it sound next to impossible but it was one or the other.
    Hey Doc,

No one says sexual transmission is impossible, just that it affects a fraction--estimates range from five to 15 percent usually--of monogamous couples, and is not sexually transmitted in the same sense that the more commonly thought of STDs are.
    These moderating statements must never be read, however, to imply that it does not happen. Your case suggests there is a good chance you and your wife are the unlucky ones to show it may be rare, but rare is not never. This is a bummer, and I feel for you both.

As to razors, etc. it is indeed possible that the virus would transmit this way, it just doesn't seem very likely, and I was objecting to the statement that it would "double" the chance of transmission. We know little about transmission that would allow such a specific prediction.

But, low chance or high chance, its always said here that we should be practicing safe sex, and NOT sharing razors and toothbrushes and so on. 'Cause, once again, infrequent or rare is not the same as never.

peace

sean

Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 PM   #6
    DOCTORSLETMEDOWN
    Inactive

DOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean
    Hey Doc,

No one says sexual transmission is impossible, just that it affects a fraction--estimates range from five to 15 percent usually--of monogamous couples, and is not sexually transmitted in the same sense that the more commonly thought of STDs are.
    These moderating statements must never be read, however, to imply that it does not happen. Your case suggests there is a good chance you and your wife are the unlucky ones to show it may be rare, but rare is not never. This is a bummer, and I feel for you both.

As to razors, etc. it is indeed possible that the virus would transmit this way, it just doesn't seem very likely, and I was objecting to the statement that it would "double" the chance of transmission. We know little about transmission that would allow such a specific prediction.

But, low chance or high chance, its always said here that we should be practicing safe sex, and NOT sharing razors and toothbrushes and so on. 'Cause, once again, infrequent or rare is not the same as never.

peace

sean
    Yea unlucky indeed ? I Will have been married to the same wonderful wife 20 years in July. What is your take on how long the virus lives on an object ? I would love to have an article from a reliable source that showed how long you read so many different things. I am waiting for my test results to come back I was my doctors first patient to order the Fibrosure test on.
    I know it's not a biopsy but they claim it's as close as you can get Lab Corp is doing it now. My biggest concern of late is pain in my joints & muscles & my skin is getting loose & rubber like. I ask about it & he said it could be muscle wasting but he didn't think it was.
    At least I will finally have some sort of a scale & number as to my liver condition I go in a week for liver sonogram & a liver spleen scan with that radio active stuff.
    Take Care

Old 06-15-2004, 09:25 PM   #7
    Kent2002
    Inactive

Kent2002 HB User

"I got tested on Thursday & am petrified that I've contracted it also"

So India-Ink21 do you have it or not?

Old 06-16-2004, 03:30 PM   #8
    India-Ink21

India-Ink21 HB User

No, I don't. When you go on the various message boards, it's normal to hear the horror stories & get scared, but you need to think of the facts. It is very rare to catch it by having sex in a monogamous relationship.

Last edited by India-Ink21; 06-16-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Closed Thread