It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• High Bilirubin.....Hepatitis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
    WednesdaysChild
    (female)

WednesdaysChild HB User
    Arrow High Bilirubin.....Hepatitis?

Hi everyone,

I recently ran a set of blood tests to check my overall health and everything came back normal except my bilirubin. The doctor sent me to repeat my blood tests and my bilirubin was still abnormally high and my white blood cell and red blood cell counts were slightly low. The doctor says he thinks I have a genetic condition called Gilbert's syndrome (which causes high bilirubin in the blood) since the only thing off the charts is my bilirubin. All other liver enzymes are normal. Do you think there is a possibility that I have Hepatitis?

My second blood test also showed high platelets and a high sedimentation rate. The doctor is sending me for a third round in November.....that's a long time to wait.

I would appreciate if anyone could comment...I feel a bit nervous about all of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Re: High Bilirubin.....Hepatitis?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WednesdaysChild
    Hi everyone,

I recently ran a set of blood tests to check my overall health and everything came back normal except my bilirubin. The doctor sent me to repeat my blood tests and my bilirubin was still abnormally high and my white blood cell and red blood cell counts were slightly low. The doctor says he thinks I have a genetic condition called Gilbert's syndrome (which causes high bilirubin in the blood) since the only thing off the charts is my bilirubin. All other liver enzymes are normal. Do you think there is a possibility that I have Hepatitis?

My second blood test also showed high platelets and a high sedimentation rate. The doctor is sending me for a third round in November.....that's a long time to wait.

I would appreciate if anyone could comment...I feel a bit nervous about all of this.

Hi Weds,

The antibody tests for hep A, B and C are cheap and easy. Any doc or clinic can draw the blood and any lab can run these very routine tests. If all are negative, there you are. If any are positive for antibodies, you have been exposed and may carry the live virus. This point would be settled by a second round of somewhat more expensive and complicated, but still pretty common tests. All that's needed from you in any event is a bit of blood and a few days wait for the results.

Go get tested, there is no reason to wonder and worry.

good luck

sean

Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
    WednesdaysChild
    (female)

WednesdaysChild HB User
    Cool Re: High Bilirubin.....Hepatitis?

Well I got my results back from the lab today and I do not have hepatitis, and my Hep B vaccine has kicked in so I am protected against it. Unfortunately, my bilirubin is still very high and so I have Gilbert's syndrome, which i will have to look after for the rest of my life. I am meeting with the doctor tomorrow for a definitive diagnosis.

Thanks for your reply.

WC

Closed Thread