It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• my doc told me today i have hep C....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
    Chairswalls407
    (male)

Chairswalls407 HB User
    my doc told me today i have hep C....

well, if you guys had read my previous post about how my friend thought she had hepatitis, i got so paranoid that i was tested for it myself. i have never had sex, no blood transfusions, i have never done drugs, i don't drink, and i haven't shared razors or anything like that. now, i AM insulin resistant which means i am pre-diabetic. my liver enzymes came back very high from my last bloodwork, and that's why the doc tested me for Hep cos of the high liver enzymes. so she calls me back today and says I have hep C. can somebody PLEASE tell me how i caught this??!?!! the doc talked to me about how she wants me to see a gastro doctor, but what will they be testing for? also, would it be smart to get maybe a 2nd and 3rd blood test taken to MAKE SURE i have this? i remember when i had a routine bloodtest taken back when i was 16 and my blood sugar came back 500 which is diabetes. *a normal blood sugar goes no higher than 100*. So, i say that because THAT ended up being a lab error. I do not have diabetes. So, could the same thing be happning maybe? I'm so lost!

Last edited by Chairswalls407; 05-03-2007 at 04:13 AM. Reason: i'd like this post and topic to be deleted please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
    gemmasmommy
    (female)

gemmasmommy HB User
    Re: my doc told me today i have hep C....

Have you ever given CPR? Have you ever shared a toothbrush or a razor? have you ever had a cut that was maybe exposed to someone's blood? Many little things can open you up to exposure to Hep C. If I were you I would ask to have your viral load measured and have them test the genotype of your virus. You will then know for sure whether or not you have it and also you'll be at a good jumping off point to see whether you are eligible or not for treatment. Don't stress too much tho. Its not a death sentence and its not the worst thing to have. New treatments are being tested every day and there's alot of hope for those of us who have this virus. I wish you the best.
    Sara

Old 08-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

You defintely should be seeing a gastro doc and you will almost certainly have more blood tests. You can get false positives on any test...It is REALLY hard to contract HCV, I know, I am married to a man who has had it for 35 years. We have 5 kids, I've used his razor, his toothbrush, obviously we're intimate, and I don't have it. (Since his diagnosis we have been careful with the razors and toothbrushes and stuff, but since he got his thru IV drug use, we know how he got it. I cannot see how you would have, if you are ebing completely honest on this board. Get a 2nd opinion & even a 3rd.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
    Chairswalls407
    (male)

Chairswalls407 HB User

yeah i will for sure get more opinions from dr.'s about this! i'm gonna go to an infectious disease doctor next week and to the gastro doctor as well. i will have the same test ran 3 times if i have to. something i found shocking was this quote off of a website... "There is a false positive rate as high as 50% in "low risk" patients (i.e. no history of blood transfusions prior to 1992, no IVDA or intranasal cocaine use, and monogamous sexual partner)". wow, so that means that 1 in 2 people tested will be told they have hep c when infact they don't, and I am for sure a low risk patient. By any chance, is there something that can mimic a positive hepatitis c test?? possibly another virus with similar antibodies or something?

Last edited by Chairswalls407; 05-03-2007 at 04:13 AM. Reason: i'd like this post to be deleted please.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

I don't know if anything would mimic a positive hep-c test, but if the rate of false positives is that high, then I wouldn't worry until I had seen a couple more docs and had more blood tests. Labs are run by people and people makes mistakes. I hope you're ok. You don't mention if you are symptomatic or if this was just routine blood tests.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:59 AM   #6
    Chairswalls407
    (male)

Chairswalls407 HB User

well, my doc wanted to test me for hep because with my last blood work my liver enzymes came back high. i am pre-diabetic and almost all pre-diabetics and diabetics have fatty livers. my doc said my fatty liver was most probably from the pre-diabetes but wanted to run the hep test just in case. the only symptoms i have would be the fatigue and the headaches. but i have high blood pressure which can cause those as well! i also have polycystic ovarion syndrome which messes with your metabolism. i still honestly do no see how i can have this. i am going to a gastro doc this week to get a 2nd blood test taken and will do whatever it takes to find out if this is sure positive. honestly, this just makes no sense!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Chairswalls407; 05-03-2007 at 04:09 AM. Reason: hello, i'd like i'm post and topic to be deleted please.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nojo1
    yeah i will for sure get more opinions from dr.'s about this! i'm gonna go to an infectious disease doctor next week and to the gastro doctor as well. i will have the same test ran 3 times if i have to. something i found shocking was this quote off of a website... "There is a false positive rate as high as 50% in "low risk" patients (i.e. no history of blood transfusions prior to 1992, no IVDA or intranasal cocaine use, and monogamous sexual partner)". wow, so that means that 1 in 2 people tested will be told they have hep c when infact they don't, and I am for sure a low risk patient. By any chance, is there something that can mimic a positive hepatitis c test?? possibly another virus with similar antibodies or something?
    HI No,

well, that quote will prove very valuable to you, 'cause it warns you to take that website off your list. there is a known rate of false positives for the antibody test and it is below five percent. that is still high enough to demand a second test, but 50% is just someone blowing smoke (or smoking blow, dont know which from here).
    The next test you should have, anyway, is a PCR/RNA T test. this is not only more accurate for determining whether you have hep, not just antibodies, but it also will tell you (if positive) what genotype you have (very important info), and your viral count (not so impt., although everyone seems to have trouble believing that.

Until the aids scares of the 80's almost nobody who handled blood, or did bloody work (such as dentists or dental hygeinists, to name just a couple of the more common) took serious precautions with blood or their instruments, and so on. further, if you went to an emergency room and were stitiched up for something--mabe even when you were a kid--the insturments, sutures, and so on were not sterilized/disposable to the degree they would be today. And so, for almost anyone over teen years, there were probably many opportunities for transmission back then that we might not even remember now.

still, it is worth witholding judgement til you get that second test.

I wish you best of luck,

sean

Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
    Chairswalls407
    (male)

Chairswalls407 HB User

well, today yesterday i went to the gastro doc. he told me to get more bloodwork done and an ultrasound. i did both today! the ultra sound was to check my liver, kidneys, and galbladder. and for the bloodwork he is checking the genotype, viral load and all the RNA stuff. he said since i am an extremly low risk patient there is still a chance the RNA will come back negative. i will know the results of everything next week thursday. i am counting down the days lol.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:39 AM   #9
    Chairswalls407
    (male)

Chairswalls407 HB User

sorry, i meant tuesday i went to the doc and wednesday got all the tests done.

Last edited by Chairswalls407; 05-03-2007 at 04:11 AM. Reason: i'd like this post to be deleted please

Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
    Wes1212
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User

it is possible to get it from a medical procedure that was performed at a doctor or dentist office. that has happened before.

when doctors ask me how i think i got it, i always say either from getting my tattoo or from a dirty medical procedure.

(i posted this before reading sean's post. Good work sean! I wish Thanbey was here to tell the original poster that she should not be so worried about having it (if she does) if she lives a healthy lifestyle. Thanbey was so very good at that.)

Last edited by Wes1212; 08-10-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
    Chairswalls407
    (male)

Chairswalls407 HB User

well i just got back from the doctor. i tested positive for hep C :-( He said my genotype is 1b and my viral load is 1, 800, 000 (1 million 8 hundred thousand). i don't know how to feel. i don't really feel depressed, i am just more in shock. he wants me to see him in 3 months and discuss the possibility of treatment. i am only 21!!!! ugh this really sucks, and what's even worse is that i have no idea how i got it :-(

Last edited by Chairswalls407; 05-03-2007 at 04:11 AM. Reason: i'd like this post to be deleted please.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
    well i just got back from the doctor. i tested positive for hep C :-( He said my genotype is 1b and my viral load is 1, 800, 000 (1 million 8 hundred thousand). i don't know how to feel. i don't really feel depressed, i am just more in shock. he wants me to see him in 3 months and discuss the possibility of treatment. i am only 21!!!! ugh this really sucks, and what's even worse is that i have no idea how i got it :-(
    nojo,

please don't think I am disrespecting your concern when I tell you that you don't know, yet, whether you have anything to worry about at all, other than the fatty liver you already knew about. hep c is a very slow moving disease in most people--so much so that thanbey, who used to post here a lot, used to say "you are much more likely to die WITH hep c than OF it." it is only 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 hep c'ers who develop true symptoms, who develop real liver disease.
    Not to trivialize, for those people, it IS a serious matter, and of course can lead to very serious liver disease indeed--transplants, everything you've probably already heard about. But I am urging you here to remember that it is a minority of us.
    Further, even for these, with occasional exceptions the disease takes years, even decades to develop.
    the fact that your doc said to come back in three months should give you some idea of how urgent he does NOT think this is. Most docs would say to come back in a year, but three months sends a similar signal. Believe me, if it were life threatening, he wouldn't be dawdling for three months (or a year as my doc, and many others, advise in the absence of symtoms or other particular cause for concern.)

If you want to get more certainty you will have to have a liver biopsy. this is not major surgery (it's done with a hollow needle, and you go home two hours later), but it is invasive, and can be upsetting, so you will want to discuss and research it. but it does tell you, as no blood test can at all, whether your liver is developing fibrosis--in other words, whether there is any real damage occuring there--and how much.
    I don't like the biopsy, but I've had two, and seem to have survived nicely.
    See what your doc thinks about it.

by the way, there is a very strong correlation between hepc and insulin resistance. i am insulin resistant. It is almost certainly no coincidence that you are both insulin resistant and hep c positive.
    insulin and resitance to it can be controlled, as I'm sure you know, by frequent but small meals, abstinence from sugar or alcohol (which latter you need to do, anyway) and from simple carbs, and a good healthy diet of proteins, verggies, whole grains and like that. and, of course, by weight loss.

HEY, YOU ARE GOING TO BE ALLRIGHT. Almost all of us are--this thing is a lot scarier to contemplate than to live with.

Keep in touch.

Peace.

sean

Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #13
    Chairswalls407
    (male)

Chairswalls407 HB User

sean thank you for the reply. you are insulin resistant too? i did not find out until recently there was a connection between hep C and insulin resistance. what's frustrating is that i can't find enough info as to why this is so! if you know of a good website which talks about that, please let me know. i hear hep C can directly cause the insulin resistance. i was diagnosed with the insulin resistance at 16 years old, but looking back, i actually started having the symptoms when i was 10 years old.

Last edited by Chairswalls407; 05-03-2007 at 04:12 AM. Reason: i'd like this post to be deleted please.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #14
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    sean thank you for the reply. you are insulin resistant too? i did not find out until recently there was a connection between hep C and insulin resistance. what's frustrating is that i can't find enough info as to why this is so! if you know of a good website which talks about that, please let me know. i hear hep C can directly cause the insulin resistance. i was diagnosed with the insulin resistance at 16 years old, but looking back, i actually started having the symptoms when i was 10 years old.

Hi again NO,

If you seemed to have insulin resistance at 10, it could be that it precedes the hep c, but the hep c is almost certain to aggravate it. Or, I'll guarantee, it doesn't help it any.
    to learn more about the connections, you can start at natl. inst. of health's very useful research summary website, pubmed (or entrez pubmed as I think most browsers find it).
    the 'reason' for the connection may be as simple as that the liver is responsible for sugar balance generally, turning glucose into glycogen or vice versa as the body demands change, and any disturbance in the liver's functions may interfere with it's ability to do this job. don't know, really--your quesiton probmpts me to learn more--but the correlation is there whenever researchers look for it. so there you are.

thanks for checking back in here, and please continue to keep us in the loop.

peace

sean

Old 08-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
    thekat
    (female)

thekat HB User

Have you ever had your nails done at a salon? My friend contracted Hep C from a nail salon because they didn't sanitize their instruments as well as they should have. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread