It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• hep c and sex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
    KIMBEE
    (female)

KIMBEE HB User
    hep c and sex

Hi,, I have just recently gotton back with my x husband and he has had hep c for over 10 years, never has had treatment for it and seems to be healthy, What are the possibilities of me getting it thru sex? W e want to get back together but I am terrified of getting this disease. Any help would be apreciated. When we have sex, he pulls out before he has an orgasm, Is that being in big denial, that this even works? Thanks for any respnses. I really need some answers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User
    Re: hep c and sex

From what they know right now except from the supposed few cases they have found in the millions of people who have this it is not sexually transmitted. I know people who have been together for twenty years and always have had unprotected sex and they never got it. I have it and my husband does not. He did go through treatments and we were both hep c positive. Both of our doctors told us to carry on with our normal sexual lifestyle and that as of now they did not really believe it was sexually transmitted and we did not need to use any protection other than what we would for possible pregnancy. He has hep c free for a year and we have had sex the hole time. It is recommended to not use each other's toothbrushes or razors. Other people will tell you differently but call a gastro and ask them. Go to your husband's doctor and simply ask. It is a blood desease not a semen desease. People get it from sharing needles, trasfusions, dirty tatoo needles, ect.... Not sexually.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

My husband and I have been married 30+ years. He is HepC+ and has been for 35 years. We have 5 kids together. None of us have hep C. Just don't share razors and toothbrushes and use common sense in sexual activities--this is a blood-to-blood borne illness.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
    hordubal
    (male)

hordubal HB Userhordubal HB Userhordubal HB User

Hep C transmission via sex is still open question. I think, that blood-to-blood contact during sex IS possible (athough not common). Therefore my recommendation is to use condom. Because: risk is small, but the possible consequences are awful.

I have hep C and I transmitted it to my wife, because I was not aware of my illness. I do not know if the pathway was sex or something else, but it happened.

Petr

Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

The pathway to ttransmission of Hep C thru sex is infinitesimal--I am going to have to look up the studies that have been done to prove it and post the references. i know our doctors amde a real poijt in letting us know that transmission thru sex just was not going to happen--and well, since we'd already been married over 20 years when ym husband got his dx we kind of already figured that out. If you are having some kind of sex that causes blood to blood transmission--well, yeah, then of course it's a risk.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
    Im a mess
    (female)

Im a mess HB User

Hi there all.I was also told not to worry about sexually transmitting this disease. It is blood borne. I have also been with the same person for years and we have had no problem with his blood test or liver tests. I am a retired nurse, I just dont have any fear about this at all. My doctors made me feel safe. Good luck....Im A MESS

Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hordubal View Post
    Hep C transmission via sex is still open question. I think, that blood-to-blood contact during sex IS possible (athough not common). Therefore my recommendation is to use condom. Because: risk is small, but the possible consequences are awful.

I have hep C and I transmitted it to my wife, because I was not aware of my illness. I do not know if the pathway was sex or something else, but it happened.

Petr
    Wow...you don't know how you did that? Did you share razors or toothbrushes? Let me also ask you this...I cut my finger the other day and with out thinking my husband licked the blood. I know that is groose....I don't know what the heck he was thinking....but as long as he does not have any cuts in his mouth or anything he can't get it like that right? What do you think?

Old 02-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

Jessy---Well, what happened there is a possibility but still a loooooong shot. When they say "Blood to blood" it really means just that--doubtful that licking a cut would give it to you, but hey, I am NOT an expert. Probably, for the ease of your minds, you should have your hubby tested from time to time,. I am unsure of the incubation period, but I do know if he contracts HEpC he is going to get pretty sick and it will be noticeable,. My hubby got it during Vietnam, too & he remembers being sooooo sick..pics of him & he is yellow as can be. And don't share razors or toothbrushes.

Closed Thread