It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• hep c question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
    Courty
    Veteran
    (female)

Courty HB User
    Question hep c question

Can you get hep c from sharing a cuticle remover?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
    mano2008
    Inactive
    (male)

mano2008 HB User
    Re: hep c question

I've heard you can get it from sharing a razor, toothbrush, or even nail clippers, but a cuticle remover...probably possible but not as likely.

Hep c can live for 30 days outside the human body, in dried blood, which is what makes the disease so easy to catch. It's like 100 times easier to be infected with than Hep c than it is HIV, because of the strength and long life of the virus....HIV dies as nearly soon as it hits the air.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
    nightangel73
    (female)

nightangel73 HB User

I'm having the same kind of question...

I'm new to nail parlors and I went yesterday and the manicurist cut my cuticle and it bleed very tiny bit which the manicurist totally ignored. Then after that he buffed the nail and I don't know if the buffer he used was a new one or one he used for many people. Then he used a nail file that for sure he used for many others. It all happened so suddenly I couldn't think about well. Then the manicurist tells me to wash hands which I did very well as I see the cut and continued with painting the nail. So then I go online to search about this and I hear of that you can certainly catch Hep C, HIV all kinds of sort at nail parlors because they don't sterilize well the equipment, neither they sterilize the nail files and nail buffers. All I'm thinking now is how many times he must have cut others and used the same nail buffer and so on..I'm thinking of definetly getting tested but I read I have to wait like at least month and half and then another test 6 months from now to be sure? If supposed I test positive for the C at that early stage what would the doctors do?

I would think the chance is relatively small for being infected but being myself a microbiologist and now that I'm looking for pregnancy soon I'm concerned. I'm not worried for Hep B because I have had the series vaccines at work..

Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
    mano2008
    Inactive
    (male)

mano2008 HB User

Your concern is a valid one...they are supposed to sterilize equipment but many don't. The risk of HIV would be incredibly low, and even the hep c is a quite low risk factor.

If by some chance you did test positive, they would just monitor you regularly and see how your body reacts to the disease...chances are you wouldn't need treatment for may years, unless you opted too. Usually treatment isn't recommended unless really necessary because it is hard on the body.

Really I would try not to worry though...and there would be nothing wrong with expressing your concern to the salon and asking them their procedures for protecting patients and cleaning equiptment....perhaps followed by a complaint to the Board of Health.

Wishing you the best of luck!!

mano

Old 01-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
    nightangel73
    (female)

nightangel73 HB User

mano question but if you have such an early diagnosis why would doctors let you with the virus increasing it's load until it gets chronic years down the road? That doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought that attacking it quiclky would be the best approach right when the viral load is low.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nightangel73 View Post
    mano question but if you have such an early diagnosis why would doctors let you with the virus increasing it's load until it gets chronic years down the road? That doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought that attacking it quiclky would be the best approach right when the viral load is low.
    I also agree with nightangel that TX should begin asap--you have nothing to gain by waiting.
    It's not going away-it doesn't heal itself-get the TX before you start feeling bad. (If you have it at all)
    I had NO symptoms at all and the last 3 months of TX was hell!
    But, thank God, I'm 6 months past TX and still virus undetectable-that is the goal.
    I stopped going to nail salons as soon as I was DX.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
    nightangel73
    (female)

nightangel73 HB User

eyesworld yes I'm not going ever to nail salons after this scare...Did you got the disease from nail salon?

Old 01-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
    nightangel73
    (female)

nightangel73 HB User

Omg I wonder if I'm ever diagnosed with HepC imagine I can only take tylenol for pain which I know is not good for the liver..I'm very allergic to aspirin..

Oh well I have to wait and see..

Closed Thread