It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Wife was diagnosed with Hep C today. What can we expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #16
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User
    Re: Wife was diagnosed with Hep C today. What can we expect?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stillhere50 View Post
    Hi Beach

I don't post much here so I am trying to get the hang of this, bear with me. My Drs. (a gastroentorologist and an internal medicine Dr.) initially just ran alot of tests but the ones which pointed to my liver were the normal liver enzyme panels (AST and ALT I think) and biliruben tests. A liver biopsy was taken after the Hep C test confirmed I had Hep C. The biopsy showed my liver was in the very advanced stages of cirrhosis (sp). My fluid retention came from my liver not being able to rid my body of sodium and not enough potassium to keep the fluid in the cells where it belonged. You have to be careful with potassium also because too much can damage your body also (or my Dr. says it can, I believe him). Anyway I couldn't take the combo therapy (ribaviron and interferon) prior to transplant because my liver would not have made it. As my liver functions worsened, my blood became saturated with ammonia because my liver could not process it out of my body. Lost memory for last 2 months prior to transplant but have regained most (99%) of it back. Only trouble I have now is I have to search for a word every once in awhile. Anyway, I stray, the only real way to tell if something (Hep C or any other disorder) is negatively affecting your liver is to have a biopsy. I appreciate your good wishes and I hope your loved one is OK. I go for a liver biopsy in 2 weeks to see if my Hep C (which is at a count of around 10 million right now) has damaged my new liver I got 16 months ago. It's not too good of a hand but I at least have 5 cards, LOL.

Stillhere50
    Hi 50
    I will see if he will go back for another biopsy . he did have one and then maybe if he won't go I could at least get him to have run the liver funtion tests maybe they would show something if there is anything
    He goes to his GP today . I don't know what else to do except keep noticing and if it gets worse make him go back
    I have to go to an appointment tommorow for my Lyme so I will be going for now
    It is 6 hours away from me so I will drive to my sisters in ct then go NYC from there sincxe it wipes me out totally to do that distance . before all of this with me I could do anything and go the distance . Now like you I have the other cards I play with so I too will enjoy my cute great neice who is 2 1/2 . She makes me feel like I am just the best thing and is always coming up with great things to make me laugh
    she is quite advanced in her learning talks in full sentences and even can paint recogniszable pictures . Last monthit was a dinasaur kissing the easter bunny . It freaked me out to see a 2 1/2 old do that.
    You sound so much like my brother who had such a really good outlook on his life with hep c
    He was doing very well until an auto accident bruised his liver and it just couldn't take the shock of it and he died around 6 months later
    He even drove to my house which was 3 hours away 3 months prior to see me in the hospital when I was sick and even 3 weeks prior to just visit . He had such determination and I really miss him .
    It has been four years this month .
    He was an avid Red Sox fan and they won the worlds series that october . I wish he could have seen that and maybe he did somehow.
    I hope you can get this under managegable control once again . My husband ate alot of fruit and yogurt while he was on his treatment I think they are full of antioxidents the fruit anyway
    Take care
    ryebeach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
    phil43
    (male)

phil43 HB Userphil43 HB User

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. Not sure which interferon im on; pegalated or something? Will have to look at the box. Should know more about what i stick in me, really. Anyway, still going ok at the moment, feeling tired and flat but be better tomorrow.
    Cheers

Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phil43 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply. Not sure which interferon im on; pegalated or something? Will have to look at the box. Should know more about what i stick in me, really. Anyway, still going ok at the moment, feeling tired and flat but be better tomorrow.
    Cheers
    Hello
    Not too great of news at the docs on wed last week
    I have been optomistic up until now but was told probably the very best I could shoot for was about 80% recovery and Doc was mystified on why I was not responding as quickly as he had hoped. Me too
    It has put me in a funk since then but I guess I will try to rise above that once again
    Hope today finds you feeling okay and may the sun shine down upon you and your family
    Take care ryebeach

Last edited by ryebeach; 04-14-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Closed Thread