It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Wife was diagnosed with Hep C today. What can we expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User
    Wife was diagnosed with Hep C today. What can we expect?

My wife of 15 years was just confirmed today. First they found too much iron in her blood,so they did an ultrasound of her organs. The Hep C test came after that.
    She is 50 years old. Is there any chance of her living a normal life? She is a 20mile a week runer and had no physical symptoms except for the iron thing. Is that good, or immaterial since the disease seems to lie dormant for so long. She is very worried and depressed right now. I have read there are 4 differents strains of the C. Will they be able to tell her which one based on the test she took? Assuming she cuts out alcohol and takes whatever is prescribed, what is the usual progress of the illness?
    Thanks very much for any responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User
    Re: Wife was diagnosed with Hep C today. What can we expect?

In answer to my own post further reading seems to indicate the progress of the illness varies with the individual, with a fortunate few being diagnosed but not ever really suffering any deficit from it. It doesn't seem to be the end of the world after all There are some people on this board who have fought it successfully and that is most encouraging. I also read of an experimental vaccine ChronVac-C® which looks quite promising.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perry2 View Post
    My wife of 15 years was just confirmed today. First they found too much iron in her blood,so they did an ultrasound of her organs. The Hep C test came after that.
    She is 50 years old. Is there any chance of her living a normal life? She is a 20mile a week runer and had no physical symptoms except for the iron thing. Is that good, or immaterial since the disease seems to lie dormant for so long. She is very worried and depressed right now. I have read there are 4 differents strains of the C. Will they be able to tell her which one based on the test she took? Assuming she cuts out alcohol and takes whatever is prescribed, what is the usual progress of the illness?
    Thanks very much for any responses.
    Hi Perry2
    My husband found out just by accident donated blood for the first time four years ago that he had hep c
    after taking interferon and another of med for a year and a half he is completely cured with no measurable levels of the virus in his system
    He gave up all alchohol while on his treat and was told in the beginning he only had a 50 /50 chance of beating this since he had mostly likely been infected for over 20 years and had the more difficult one to cure
    It is a very expensive treatment and luckily our insurance covered almost all of it .
    He ate alot of fruits and vegetables and drank tons of water while he was on his treatment It took him all his energy to make it to work and was very sick for most of his treatment which was a type of chemo Pills every day and shots weekly His red cell count took a serious dive and needed injections weekly to boost that after about nine months into treatment . I took over all other duties around the house and also worked 50 hours a week along with two major surgeries but he came through it fine
    Not me though right after he had recovered I was infected with Lyme disease and babeosis and bartenella from a deer tick bite
    Be sure to give her plenty of support while she is on treatment . It sounds like you are concerned
    I have not had much emoitional support through my illness even though I gave my all to my husband while he was going through his illness so please make sure to have compassion through this illness she will need your strength
    Depending on your wifes particular progress and diagnosis
    She can beat this since they have come a long way in the medical field with this disease
    If left untreated it can lead to liver cancer which happened to my brother who passed away three years ago from the complications of this disease after 8 years of a very difficult struggle and he was on the trial cases when little was known about this disease. so I have seen both results
    first hand
    definately give up all alchohol and maintain a positive attitutude and plenty of rest t o help her immune system fight this
    Good luck and keep us posted
    Take care
    Ryebeach

Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
    quietcount77
    (male)

quietcount77 HB User

Hep-C will not damage your liver your liver is one of the few organs that can heal itself hep-c slows down the rate of regenaration but doest actually damage it. As a result of this if you minimies the amount of damage then it wont have to heal so as not to cause any problems. It will depend on the individual. If your liver test says you dont have bad liver damage then this prooves that your lifstyle is not damaging your liver. if your test reveals liver damagethen a change to a healtheir diet will be recomended. Everything that goes in yor body goes through your liover. The fresher and healtheir the food the less work your liver does to process it the less damage to your liver. Most people with hep-c will die of old age without having any sympoms from their hep-c. If you do get symptoms these can be treated with a change of diet depending on the symptoms. Bad memory or brain fog forgetfullness is usually caused by a build up of ammonia in your system cutting out foods high in ammonia will reduce these symptoms( processed meats, dairy products ,cured meats). I would also say that the biggest problem with hep-c is the stigma attached to it so be carfull who you tell. Their is no reson to tellanyone. It is not an S T D so as long as you dont bleed on anyone then it is very unlikly you will pass it on. You Should read up on transmission routes and get clued up then you will be able to make informed choices about treatment. Treatment can have bad side effects and most people dont need treatment so inform yourself and decide for yourself if you whant treatment or not it will be you that has to go through the side effects so dont let anyone push your desisions.
    I hope this has been some help. be carfull with the internet as their is a lot of conflictin info especially from abroad.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

"I hope this has been some help. be carfull with the internet as their is a lot of conflictin info especially from abroad." said the person from abroad

Thanks very much for the response quietcount. There is no question that moving forward we will adopt a very liver friendly existence. I am hoping the absence of symptoms means the partying lifestyle of our past hasn't put her at a deficit. Or me either since I haven't been tested yet(tomorrow).
    We have just seen so much info dealing with transplants and failrly advanced cases and it paints a pretty bleak picture, without giving the details on how the disease was allowed to progress that far.
    I agree with the internet comment absolutely. I take everything I read with a grain of salt, since so many opinions are stated as absolute fact.
    I try not to let her know how worried I am for her and give her the most positive information I get. I will leave it to her Doctors to give her the negatives.

And thank you as well ryebeach. I am keeping a positive outlook and will carry her as far as I need to. I hope the worst of your own medical issues are behind you. Take care.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perry2 View Post
    "I hope this has been some help. be carfull with the internet as their is a lot of conflictin info especially from abroad." said the person from abroad

Thanks very much for the response quietcount. There is no question that moving forward we will adopt a very liver friendly existence. I am hoping the absence of symptoms means the partying lifestyle of our past hasn't put her at a deficit. Or me either since I haven't been tested yet(tomorrow).
    We have just seen so much info dealing with transplants and failrly advanced cases and it paints a pretty bleak picture, without giving the details on how the disease was allowed to progress that far.
    I agree with the internet comment absolutely. I take everything I read with a grain of salt, since so many opinions are stated as absolute fact.
    I try not to let her know how worried I am for her and give her the most positive information I get. I will leave it to her Doctors to give her the negatives.

And thank you as well ryebeach. I am keeping a positive outlook and will carry her as far as I need to. I hope the worst of your own medical issues are behind you. Take care.
    Hi Perry
    I am still on the mend from my Lyme disease . It has been a huge financial burden and I have had to be on disabilty since last year which is only a third of what I was making so it has been rough both medically and finacially
    I hope your wife can make good progress and you are Hep free
    I am so I never contracted it from my husband at all
    Good luck to you
    Take care
    Ryebeach

Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
    don12n
    (male)

don12n HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Wife was diagnosed with Hep C today. What can we expect?

Hai,
    I just took a cure of one year with interferon. After the med. I was compleetly cured. At the end, before the cure, I was all the time tired, lost a lot of weight, that was the reason for my docters visit. I had two options dead of taking a newer kind of interferon ( Roch-). I took the cure and for ME it was a ride to hell and back. I had type one, the wurst, so one year of med.
    I understood that she has a lot of people who can help out, but when the sicknis is really started, well the side effects are like chemo, but stronger.
    There where moments I thought my time had come, but I came true it.
    For everybody it will be a little different, but the cure makes you sick that is sure. Wanna know more details, please ask. Don from Belgium and sorry for writing mistakes.Greatings.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by don12n View Post
    Hai,
    I just took a cure of one year with interferon. After the med. I was compleetly cured. At the end, before the cure, I was all the time tired, lost a lot of weight, that was the reason for my docters visit. I had two options dead of taking a newer kind of interferon ( Roch-). I took the cure and for ME it was a ride to hell and back. I had type one, the wurst, so one year of med.
    I understood that she has a lot of people who can help out, but when the sicknis is really started, well the side effects are like chemo, but stronger.
    There where moments I thought my time had come, but I came true it.
    For everybody it will be a little different, but the cure makes you sick that is sure. Wanna know more details, please ask. Don from Belgium and sorry for writing mistakes.Greatings.
    Don,
    Just FYI-you, unfortunately, are not cured from the TX. You will always have HCV. The TX just makes the virus undetectable, which is good.
    You're going to have to continue to keep checking your blood to make sure it doesn't reoccur. I just checked out virus undetectable after 8 months-thank God.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
    Rio2007
    (male)

Rio2007 HB User

After my liver biopsy showed little damage to my liver my doctor asked me if I wanted to wait for treatment, because one, the chance of clearing hep-c for for me would be 30%. He told me new treatments are going in the next few years so I decided to wait. Blood teast every 6 month and other test.
    Yes, no on has to know about this so do not tell them. I do not drink and the doctor told me if I had been drinking the past 30 years the liver would have been worst. Drinking with hep-c is a no no for me.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
    phil43
    (male)

phil43 HB Userphil43 HB User
    Smile Re: Wife was diagnosed with Hep C today. What can we expect?

Hi,
    I was diagnosed 11 years ago and have just started interferon after much delay.
    I had no real problems with suffering with hep c; a bit of discomfort in my side etc., but nothing major. Thought i would give interferon a go though because it was being offered and i feel able to give it a go at the moment.
    I think it is a slow burner, really, so try not to freak out too much about this.
    Remember we are all standing on a ball of dirt spinning at 900 mph flying through space, who knows what is coming for any of us?

Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phil43 View Post
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed 11 years ago and have just started interferon after much delay.
    I had no real problems with suffering with hep c; a bit of discomfort in my side etc., but nothing major. Thought i would give interferon a go though because it was being offered and i feel able to give it a go at the moment.
    I think it is a slow burner, really, so try not to freak out too much about this.
    Remember we are all standing on a ball of dirt spinning at 900 mph flying through space, who knows what is coming for any of us?
    Hi Phil43
    I like the way you look at this Are you taking the Pegasus along with the interferon? This is suppose to be the combo that works the best
    My husband went through a year of this treatment and has done well for 3 years
    He did have to have shots to boost his red blood cells about 9 months into the treatment
    He just happened upon the infection when he went to donate blood and his virul levels were off the charts
    Now almost 4 years later and giving up All alchohol and the treatments worked is undetectable with his virul count
    Good luck with your treatment and a positive attitude will bring you a long way
    Take care
    Ryebeach

Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
    stillhere50
    (male)

stillhere50 HB Userstillhere50 HB User

I am one who has fought it and am still alive and well. You would think this type of disease could not destroy your liver and you not know about in time to do something about it. Let me tell you a little of my story and maybe you and your wife will see that even if it goes to the extreme of a liver transplant, you both can make it. I know because my wife and I have made it, I am post liver transplant for 16 months now. I have always worked hard at home and at work. I am used to getting tired during the week and replenishing my strength on the weekend. In 12/05 it got to where I could not get my strength back and I was always sleepy and tired. I ignored that (wished I hadn't) until 3/06 when I started retaining fluid in my feet, legs, and abdomen. Finally got an appt to see a Dr. who immediately put me in the hospital and started tests. To make a long story short, I had Hep C and was on my way to total liver failure. They managed to keep me from checking out until I finally got a transplant in 12/06. There is alot more to the story and I would not want to do it again, but I would if I had too. The doctors, nurses, friends, family, and especially my wife treated me with respect, dignity, and love during my ordeal. As my liver went into the final stages of failure, I don't remember much (2 months or so before my transplant) my memory failed me but I have regained the important parts (there was some I didn't mind if I lost, LOL). All in all I am doing pretty darn good, able to play with my grandkids, still work full time and when I get up in the morning and am shaving, I look in the mirror and there is a constant reminder of how lucky I am, the Mercedes emblem shaped scar on my abdomen. I look at it as another scar that kind of tells a part of my life. This was my experience and everyone is an individual and will have a different story. But it is far from the end of the world, it is just a different world. God bless you and your wife.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #13
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stillhere50 View Post
    I am one who has fought it and am still alive and well. You would think this type of disease could not destroy your liver and you not know about in time to do something about it. Let me tell you a little of my story and maybe you and your wife will see that even if it goes to the extreme of a liver transplant, you both can make it. I know because my wife and I have made it, I am post liver transplant for 16 months now. I have always worked hard at home and at work. I am used to getting tired during the week and replenishing my strength on the weekend. In 12/05 it got to where I could not get my strength back and I was always sleepy and tired. I ignored that (wished I hadn't) until 3/06 when I started retaining fluid in my feet, legs, and abdomen. Finally got an appt to see a Dr. who immediately put me in the hospital and started tests. To make a long story short, I had Hep C and was on my way to total liver failure. They managed to keep me from checking out until I finally got a transplant in 12/06. There is alot more to the story and I would not want to do it again, but I would if I had too. The doctors, nurses, friends, family, and especially my wife treated me with respect, dignity, and love during my ordeal. As my liver went into the final stages of failure, I don't remember much (2 months or so before my transplant) my memory failed me but I have regained the important parts (there was some I didn't mind if I lost, LOL). All in all I am doing pretty darn good, able to play with my grandkids, still work full time and when I get up in the morning and am shaving, I look in the mirror and there is a constant reminder of how lucky I am, the Mercedes emblem shaped scar on my abdomen. I look at it as another scar that kind of tells a part of my life. This was my experience and everyone is an individual and will have a different story. But it is far from the end of the world, it is just a different world. God bless you and your wife.
    Hi 50
    My husband had the hep c and went through all the treatments His doctor says his levels are undetectable now but I am worried about him because as you have just stated he has extreme fatigue when before he did not .
    On his days off he just can not seem to stay awake
    His stomach is a little larger than it used to be and when he was diagnosed about four years ago the doctor had said his liver was in bad shape
    He since has stopped drinking any alchohol for the last four years
    I am just really concerned about the fatigue
    What tests did they give you for your liver function?
    Hope you continue to do well
    Take care
    Ryebeach

Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
    stillhere50
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryebeach View Post
    Hi 50
    My husband had the hep c and went through all the treatments His doctor says his levels are undetectable now but I am worried about him because as you have just stated he has extreme fatigue when before he did not .
    On his days off he just can not seem to stay awake
    His stomach is a little larger than it used to be and when he was diagnosed about four years ago the doctor had said his liver was in bad shape
    He since has stopped drinking any alchohol for the last four years
    I am just really concerned about the fatigue
    What tests did they give you for your liver function?
    Hope you continue to do well
    Take care
    Ryebeach

Last edited by stillhere50; 04-07-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: accidentally hit submit before I replied.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
    stillhere50
    (male)

Hi Beach

I don't post much here so I am trying to get the hang of this, bear with me. My Drs. (a gastroentorologist and an internal medicine Dr.) initially just ran alot of tests but the ones which pointed to my liver were the normal liver enzyme panels (AST and ALT I think) and biliruben tests. A liver biopsy was taken after the Hep C test confirmed I had Hep C. The biopsy showed my liver was in the very advanced stages of cirrhosis (sp). My fluid retention came from my liver not being able to rid my body of sodium and not enough potassium to keep the fluid in the cells where it belonged. You have to be careful with potassium also because too much can damage your body also (or my Dr. says it can, I believe him). Anyway I couldn't take the combo therapy (ribaviron and interferon) prior to transplant because my liver would not have made it. As my liver functions worsened, my blood became saturated with ammonia because my liver could not process it out of my body. Lost memory for last 2 months prior to transplant but have regained most (99%) of it back. Only trouble I have now is I have to search for a word every once in awhile. Anyway, I stray, the only real way to tell if something (Hep C or any other disorder) is negatively affecting your liver is to have a biopsy. I appreciate your good wishes and I hope your loved one is OK. I go for a liver biopsy in 2 weeks to see if my Hep C (which is at a count of around 10 million right now) has damaged my new liver I got 16 months ago. It's not too good of a hand but I at least have 5 cards, LOL.

Stillhere50

Closed Thread