It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• NEED INFO ON MILK THISTLE PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE USED IT.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2003, 07:25 AM   #1
    DOCTORSLETMEDOWN
    Inactive

DOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB User
    Question NEED INFO ON MILK THISTLE PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE USED IT.

If anyone has any knowledge or experience using any of the following I would appreciate your input on where & how is the best way to buy them, if one brand is better than another ect. what doses ? how much how often ?
    According to Dr. Weil who has a website & has been on just about every talk show you can think of & is and was a medical doctor recommends Polaris Custom Pak Program ? not sure what that is ?
    Milk thistle ? seeds ? Extract ? which do you use ? one or both & how much how often ?
    Schisandra ? how much how often ? how do you use it ?
    Olive Leaf Extract ? How much How often & how do you use it?
    I recently read an article saying that milk thistle can slow down the activity of enzymes in the liver & cause drugs to remain in the blood longer than they otherwise might causing side effects.
    Confused but ready to try something to help.
    According to the article I read small concentrations of milk thistle slowed down the activity of the liver enzyme CYP3A4 by 50% to 100% because some medications are processed by this liver enzyme it's possible to raise there levels causing unpleasant or dangerous side effects.
    Examples heart drugs, antibiotics, anti sezure drugs, antidepressants, antihistamines, antifungals, gastrointestinal motility agents, ergot drugs, anti phycotics, sedatives, lipid lowering drugs, transplant drugs.
    Article says just because it's natural does not mean it's safe when taken with other substances.
    Source community aids treatment information exchange.
    Just wanted to know if any of you had used any of the above & with what results & have you experienced any problems from using them & how long have you been using them.
    Thanks in advance you always have the answers I need.

The Following User Says Thank You to DOCTORSLETMEDOWN For This Useful Post:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
    askherjohn82
    Veteran

askherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB User
    Smile

hi DLMD
    i take 2 liv-tone capsules,daily (recommends 3 on the bottle)i also take (jamison brand)vit,E(gel cap)1 in the am,1- multi vit(no iron)as well as other meds(in the sedative family) and have been for( many years before i found out that i had hep).but the liv-tone caps i have been taking for 2 years here is the info from the liv-tone bottle it'self!

3 capsules contain the following standerdized herbal exstracts:
    Thurmeric...............1,080 mg.

Artichoke leaves.........1,800 mg.

Dandelion................1,440 mg.

milk thistle.............(80/%silymarin)....2,880 mg.

i've had this 20+ years ,no treatment just maintain a well balanced diet(actually, speak with a nutritionist for "the right foods to eat".i did and it was of great help.i have more problems with my "other ailments", then i do regarding the liver, and i just got my blood work faxed over here are the results AST(64)and ALT is(59).in my oppinion given the stats of my enzymes, also how long the virus has been with me, i feel that the liv-tone caps are of some help.i hope that this will be of some help to you, as well as others!
    keep the faith, bless you............mj

Closed Thread