It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Leukemia in remission but now have hepatitis C

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2003, 12:50 AM   #1
    Meridian77

Meridian77 HB User
    Post Leukemia in remission but now have hepatitis C

Hi I'm new to this board. I'm 26 years old and was diagnosed with Hepatits C in 1996 when I was 19. I must have got it way back in the early 80's (1983 I believe) when I was being treated for Leukemia and was given blood tranfusions. I'm in remission of leukemia. Back in 1996 after i was diagnosed with hepatitis c I had a liver biopsy and they found that it was at its very early stage. My doctors from when I had Leukemia said that I couldn't take the medications for hepatis c because it could bring back my leukemia... so ever since then I have not treated my hepatitis c. I have lived in a state of depression. I have drank alcohol on more than one occasion... not regularly but maybe once every 1 or 2 years. I drank and got drunk one night in 1997 or 1998... When I finally decided I wanted to start doing something about it I got a checkup in the summer of 2001 and was told it looked fine. I started eating right and working out since I was told my liver looked fine and I wanted to keep it that way. I then fell into a state of depression and drank one day in dec 2001...had a few beers, then again one day in january 2002... I probably had only 2 cups of beer from a keg. I got a checkup a few months later and was told my liver looked fine. I fall in and out of depression. I drank again this past July... 3 out of 4 nights. The first night I got really drunk, the second night I had 1 beer, then I didn't drink the next night and then had 2 or 3 beers the last night. Well now I'm starting to feel the effects of hepatits c... I can't sleep, have pinching feeling on my right side, feel light headed and tired, feel bloated and cold chills. Its really making it difficult to do anything. I can't handle knowing I have hepatitis c, I'm scared and don't know what to do. I get into states where I feel great and want to fight it and do things like eat right and workout and then i fall into a state of depression and drink. I'm making an appointment to see how bad my liver is now. I'm lost because I feel like there is nothing I can do, I really don't have anyone that understands how I'm feeling and want to help and I feel like I'm just dying. I probably have had hepatits c for 20 years now... since I was 7 when I was being treated for leukemia. Well thats my life story, I hope someone can give me some advice since it seems no one is doing any of that in my life lately. Thanks

David

The following user gives a hug of support to Meridian77:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Meridian77 For This Useful Post:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 07:08 AM   #2
    mrbill

mrbill HB Usermrbill HB User
    hi there,
    i was originally diagnosed in 99, but doct said i fought it off and would be fine. just a lil over a month ago, on my daughters bday, my doc called and told me i now have it in my blood. i was so depressed and almsot passed out for 2 weeks. i got on antidepressents, very important to start at leats one month before treatment. then, i decided to battle this thing. i am 31, will be 32 tommorow. i think i have had this at least 10-15 years min. well, i got my first shot yesterday afternoon. i am genotype 3a and my ultrasound and blood work was fine. i will treat 24 months and hopefully beat this thing and life will go on. i suggest you get all your test, viral load, geno, and biopsy/ultrasound, biopsy is the most acurate. also, i would schedule an appointment now for some antidepressents. after a month, when its in your system and you find out everything you can decide to treat. i myself being so anxious and nervous and depressed, could not go on with life without trying to beat this thing. i wish you the best, will keep you in my prayers, and please keep us all updated on your test and decisions.
    GODBLESS
    Bill
    oh, one more thing, thanbey is very educated and also could give you some great advice with this disease. thanbey,you there?

The following user gives a hug of support to mrbill:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to mrbill For This Useful Post:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Old 08-27-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
    Pugman

Pugman HB User
    Trust me...I feel your pain. I go through depression and fatigue very similar to what you've mentioned. What keeps me going is the hope that medical science is going to catch up with this soon. There really is some exciting research going on right now for Hep C treatments so keep your chin up. I imagine the treatment you're not allowed to take is interferon/ribavarin. You should know there are other treatments being developed, like protease inhibitors, that may not require interferon to eradicate the virus. Yes, they still have a long way to go before we can tell for sure if they're viable, but the point is the medical community is making progress. Hang in there.

Pugman

The following user gives a hug of support to Pugman:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Pugman For This Useful Post:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Old 09-27-2003, 05:15 AM   #4
    Susani

Susani HB User
    Smile

I am so sorry to hear the trouble you are having in regards to your hep c. Depression is anger turned inward..therapy with someone professional could really help you in my opinion. Hep C is not the end of the world. People with mild or moderate condition are not at risk for death, since new treatments come out about every 3 years. Hang tough, keep the faith. Hep C is not your life, just one small part of it.

All the best,
    Susan from NY

The following user gives a hug of support to Susani:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Susani For This Useful Post:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Old 09-27-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
    Wes1212
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User
    Everybody feels it some time or other. Not everyone realizes this life is only temporary. We do know that and can use that knowledge to learn to overlook trivial matters and see the big picture THAT WE ARE ALIVE NOW! As Thanbey pointed out, the age of 26, you might be at a crossroads with many feelings. I have heard many people say that adults really don't mature psychologically until mid-twenties in age.

It's really a shame that you aren't being compensated for your condition. I hope the doctors are polite to you! They can be arrogant buttheads at times.

You've been through alot and there is probably alot you can do with your experiences to help other people feel better.

The following user gives a hug of support to Wes1212:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Wes1212 For This Useful Post:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Closed Thread