It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• First visit to hepatologist update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2001, 08:27 AM   #1
    Miranda

Miranda HB UserMiranda HB UserMiranda HB UserMiranda HB UserMiranda HB User
    First visit to hepatologist update

Yesterday was my brother's first visit to the hepatologist after being diagnosed with hep C ten weeks ago. Let me say first that last night was the first good sleep I've had as I finally spoke face to face with someone who knows more about this illness than I do.This is not to say I know so much but that the medical people I have spoken to so far(I work in a medical building)have no clue beyond that it has something to do with the liver.
    OK obviously no prognosis yet.He will be going for a liver biopsy in July then back to the hepatologist in August to decide regarding treatment.I appreciated that he doesn't want to jump into treatment before knowing the biopsy results.
    They asked him many questions regarding risk factors ie IV drug use, tattoos, blood transfusions(by the way I just got his blood card from when he was hospitalized and got the transfusion and discovered he did not get the small amount of bloood that I thought, he actually was transfused on three separate days so would advise anyone who has hep C and has had surgery to check your own hospital records to see if you have indeed got blood. He got two units during exploratory surgery and one unit 4 days later and another five days later-all of this unknown to our parents-I guess back then they didn't require you to sign a consent for blood.)
    He had a physical exam of his abdominal area and they took lots of blood to check everything under the sun.He brought with him blood results for the three consecutive months prior to this visit showing his ALT,AST,iron,platelets etc as well as urinalysis and ultrasound results. He will have more blood tests two weeks prior to the biopsy-he was advised to rest for the whole day of biopsy and take two days off work(and his job is not physical).
    If anyone has any first visit questions feel free to ask.
    Miranda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2001, 10:26 PM   #2
    thanbey
    Inactive
    (female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
    Re: First visit to hepatologist update

I am continually amazed at what medical procedures people had and were never told!

This has happened in my own family. We are learning more about risk factors all the time.

Glad to hear that the visit went well and your brother will be checked out thoroughly.

What a relief for you.

Continued best wishes,

thanbey

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.hcop.org" TARGET=_blank>hcop.org</A>

<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected] rg.</A>

Closed Thread