It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Hep C Transmission?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
    PlsAdvice
    (female)

PlsAdvice HB User
    Transmission?

Hi, in my church congregation is a woman with type 1 diabetes. I was woozy in church this past Saturday, and she insisted that she use her monitoring equipment on me to check my blood sugar. She swears up and down that she used a new lancet, but used her own lancet pen to house the new lancet so I could put it against my skin to ***** my finger. After she did this, a few hours later, I found out that she did, in fact have Hepatitis C. I am scared that I might have contracted it from this one episode, since this is the only time I have done this - I usually use only my own equipment at home. I am really worried now and went to the ER that night to get baseline tests and IG for Hep B and vaccinations for Hep A and Hep B, but that's all they could do for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis for Hep C they said. I am really scared. What are the chances that I got Hep C from this situation, - I did not see any blood on the endcap of the lancet pen, but I know for a fact now that she definietly has Hep C.

Last edited by PlsAdvice; 03-16-2011 at 05:16 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to PlsAdvice:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
    momsworking
    (female)

momsworking HB User
    Re: Transmission?

Well, I'm sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately, you wont be able to tell if you a infected for months to come. HEP C is a non symptomatic disease so you will have a to check like every six months. But if you contract it and monitor it with your doctor you should be able to live a fairly normal life. I've had it for 12 years now......and I workout, eat well, rarely get sick, flus or colds....so just monitor your blood and keep your own equipment with you always......Best of luck

Old 03-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
    pfe
    (female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

I don't think the risk is high, but I'd say it's not absolute zero. And also, this woman should have known better. If she knows she has Hep C, she should have never shared any equipment with you, where microscopic contamination could occur, and this is a clear case of that. Personally, I would consider having it documented by law enforcement now, just in case you turn up positive later. But again, the risk is low. And this woman is not your friend. I'm not trying to perpetuate the undeserved stigma of this virus, but sharing this type of equipment when the user is known to have Hep. C is unacceptable.

The following user gives a hug of support to pfe:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
    dlm4416
    (female)

dlm4416 HB User

Hepatitis C is spread by blood to blood contact. Some of the different ways of transmission include exposure to contaminated needles or other equipment, sex with multiple partners or rough sex, tattooed or pierced with non-sterile needles or equipment, accidental needle stick with a needle that was used on an infected person or using the same razor or toothbrush that an infected person used. So it is a possibility that you can be infected but you can only wait to see what the test results say. The fact that you was able to catch it early will give you better chance for treatment and prevention if you do have it.

The following user gives a hug of support to dlm4416:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to dlm4416 For This Useful Post:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Old 04-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
    debxoxo
    (female)

debxoxo HB User

OMG,that is terrible.That lady should know better than that.If there was dry blood on the instrument it could be a possibility that you have contracted it.Hopefully not,will say a little prayer.I think the way I got it was when I worked in a dental office cleaning,I put my hand in the sharpies container thinking I had to clean it out.When I did that I immediatley felt sick thinking I could have contracted HIV,never did I think Hep c.So good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to debxoxo For This Useful Post:
    luyingjie (01-25-2012)
    Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
    coldfeelings
    (male)

coldfeelings HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfe View Post
    I don't think the risk is high, but I'd say it's not absolute zero. And also, this woman should have known better. If she knows she has Hep C, she should have never shared any equipment with you, where microscopic contamination could occur, and this is a clear case of that. Personally, I would consider having it documented by law enforcement now, just in case you turn up positive later. But again, the risk is low. And this woman is not your friend. I'm not trying to perpetuate the undeserved stigma of this virus, but sharing this type of equipment when the user is known to have Hep. C is unacceptable.
    I couldent agree with you more. Having this documented by law enforcement is an absolute must. Although your chances of infection are minimal, this woman knowingly put you at risk of infection with a virus that has the potential to take ones life, although it is far more likely that one, you are not infected, and two should you be you can more than likely live a full healthy life. This woman is definitely not your friend and should be charged just as someone with HIV who spits on someone is. Her actions were and are criminal, PERIOD!!

Closed Thread