It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Hep C From experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
    MomofAngel
    (female)

MomofAngel HB User
    Cool From experience

Note: Hep C was due to being an IV drug user for many years. Was 3 years clean when I was diagnosed and am now 18 years clean and a Substance Abuse Counselor

I was surprised there was not a lot of information posted here but wanted to share a few things with those that have been diagnosed with Hep C genotype 2. I was diagnosed in 1999 after having bloodwork for a physical. I went to a Hematologist who done a liver biopsy. He told me that the scarring was not bad and suggested that I wait a couple of years mainly because they were coming out with a new drug with less side affects. I returned 2001 and he did another liver biopsy and this time there was an increase in the scarring so we decided to start the medication regimen. I was placed on Pegylated interferon and Ribavirin for a period of 6 months. I did my shot of interferon once a week on Friday afternoon so if I experienced any side effects I would have a couple of days to deal with it before going back to work and I took 2 Ribavirin every day.
    I was about 2 months into the treatment when after having my blood taken when the doctor told me that my white blood count was seriously low and that I may have to be taken off the medication. He suggested Neupogen which is also a shot that I had to do once a week which I did on Wednesdays and had to continue throughout my treatment because it stabilized my white blood count so that I could continue on with the treatment. At the 4 month mark my blood work came back with Hep C 'undetected' and I finished the 6 months without further problems. At the finish of treatment, 6 months, 1 year mark, and 12 years later it is still 'undectable'. I continue to have blood work done with my physicals and there has been no further detection.
    The side affects I had with this was very minimal with some hair loss (especially when taking a shower - I used Nioxin shampoo which helped a lot) and I lost my eyebrow hair. My hair is just fine now even thicker than before which is nice but the eyebrows didn't grow back in fully so this has been a problem.
    The concerns I had during that time was that I had given birth in 1988 and wondered if I could have given it to him along with having sex with my husband and giving it to him. My wonderful, wonderful doctor who is an expert in the field informed me that there was no cause for concern with either of these things and I shouldn't worry.My doctor also discussed with me the possibilty of the medications not working and talked about a liver transplant if one would be needed. We were told that 'live' liver transplants are available so my mother was prepared to give me part of her liver if it became necessary. In this case a part of the live donors liver is taken and transplanted into the recipient where it will grow into a full functioning liver and the donors liver will grow back to normal within 2 weeks. (Kool huh?)

So in closing I pray that each of you have a very healthy and long lasting life. If you are reading this and not considering treatment, PLEASE DO. If you are reading this and have just found out and think you have been handed a death sentence that is so NOT TRUE. Good Luck and God bless.

Last edited by mod85; 07-27-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
    2therock
    (male)

2therock HB User
    Re: From experience

Your geno type 2 treatments sounds just like mine but my 6 mos and 1 year terms failed. I took a break between the two. I too had to get on Neupogen. I had skin healing issues if I scratched an itch it would not heal and kind of get worse..

We caught mine very early in the antibody stage. Not from drug use. We do not know how.

Then the Doc put me on a maintenance of just 50% of the Pegylated Interferon "Until the new treatment arrives".

All these treatments in time brought on Diabetes and neuropathy and I had to get off of the maintenance. None of which reversed.

I recently completed the new Sovaldi Riba treatments. On 8/15/14 I get the final word.

2therock

Closed Thread